Snow Cables for 225/45R17

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I have seen both yes and no to the question, will the Security Chain Company SZ133 Super Z6 Cable fit without conflict on a 2015 Golf with 225/45/R17 tires.
Has anyone successfully run these cables or similar low profile cables on a 2015 Golf with 225/45/R17 tires.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
VW doesn't recommend cables/chains on 225/45r17 tires, for the fear of clearance with the strut.

The ones that fit will cost a good chunk of change, such as Thule/Koenig K-Summit and Spikes Spider, as they do not wrap around the rear of the tire.

You can always try the SCC 6mm cables and test fit them for clearance, and return them if they don't clear.

Let me guess, you want to take a trip into the mountains, but fear Caltrans for R1 or R2 conditions.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Last Friday, my car was up on a rack. The shop manager let me take a look at the tire-strut area. It looked like there would be enough clearance for the Super Z6 cables, so I ordered a set. I'll post back once I get them on the car and drive up on my ramps at home.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Last Friday, my car was up on a rack. The shop manager let me take a look at the tire-strut area. It looked like there would be enough clearance for the Super Z6 cables, so I ordered a set. I'll post back once I get them on the car and drive up on my ramps at home.
The other issue may be it doesn't come with protection against scratching the alloy wheels, since you're mounting them on a relatively low profile tire.

Some of the Thule ones comes with plastic stand-offs that you attach to prevent the metal to metal contact that can scuff your rims.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
worse case you can pick up some 5-10mm wheel spacers, and call it good

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I've installed the cables on the driver side tire. I laid out a bunch of cardboard in my driveway to drive the car around on. This made the cable/driveway noise silent and allowed me to hear any noise related to the cables hitting the strut, control arm or tie rod. Good news is that I didn't hear any conflicts. I measured 3/4" between the strut and cable where the cable was the closets to the strut. it was about the same distance at the tie rod at full turn. With that said, I think I'll be good if the cables have to be installed (i hope they do because we need some snow out here in CA :))

However, I will have to wrap some duct tape on the metal connectors so they don't mark up the wheels as that flap around. This should be fun at night when it is snowing?

I'll report back after the trip to the hills.

Last edited: