strut/spring pairings with metalnerd 2" lift

KURTHOOD

TDI
2003 GOLF
hi folks,

Been searching a lot of threads on here but also wanted to test out the readers. I have the metalnerd 2" lift (spacer) in the car which I intend on re-installing. I had KONI FSD's in there but its time to replace. car has 230K so I was going to jump into the Bilstein TC Sports with Suplex sport springs. ordering the whole kit though ID parts.

Just wanted to pick brains however and see what other set ups people were using WITH THE 2 INCH LIFT KIT. The FSD strut/shocks were really nice but are a bit out of budget at this juncture.

Anyone using TC sports with a 2 inch lift? hows the ride? How was battling the spring compressor with sport springs AND the 2 inch spacer on top? All things Im curious about before jumping onto this project? thanks for the feedback. interested to see what people are running

Kurt

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
You may be disappointed with the harsh ride of the bilsteins after having Koni fsd's!

KURTHOOD

TDI
2003 GOLF
have you run Bilstein TC sports before? Harsh ride experience? the FSD's were great and had awesome longevity but i still feel like it crashed pretty hard on bumps solely because the springs were already 2" compressed because of the lift kit spacer on top of the spring perch. Im looking for any and all reccomendations for this ride setup. I would hate to do away with the 2" spacer because I really do like the added height

05JTDI

TDI
2005 MKIV Jetta
Hi Kurt,

I cannot provide much insight on the Koni or Bilstein struts but you can see my write-up for doing a 1" lift here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483370

I used the Moog front and rear springs with standard struts/rear shocks to achieve my lift. I had to use a 1" spacer to level the front with the rear. Overall, the springs stiffened up the ride and I personally enjoy it. The rear springs also help to keep the rear from sagging with 100+ lbs in the trunk.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I put wagon springs on the 2" lift I made for both our jetta sedans. The rear might be a little bit more prone to hopping with frost heaves etc but I'm quite happy with the front.

KURTHOOD

TDI
2003 GOLF
05JTDI, nice write up. the car looks pretty slick with the larger tires on it. I've always wanted to do that with the lift to fill out the wheel wells a little bit more. Really gives it a "dune buggy" sort of look to it. Not for everyone but I think it looks decent. Think Im still leaning towards Bilsteins or possibly Koni Reds over the OEM struts

05JTDI

TDI
2005 MKIV Jetta
Thanks. As far as choosing struts, I would read what other people have thought of the Koni Reds and Bilsteins to see if they will give you the performance you are looking for.

In my case, my car is a commuter that sees a couple miles of dirt every day. I couldn't justify spending extra money on struts when I am happy with how my car rides. I'll save the money for my other toys.