wrecked 2001 Bug - sell or keep?

What should I do with my poor bug?

• Let it go -> It's just a car - get a Prius for mpg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drive it as-is -> battle scars are cool!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

01JettaInTX

TDI
2000 Jetta GL TDI; 2001 Beetle TDI; 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Someone hit my bug :(
It's a 2001 GLS TDI with a 5-spd.
It currently has ~265k miles and zero rust or other exterior damage.
Everything works, and it has pretty decent cloth interior.
I was getting between 46-48 mpg driving back and forth to work.

The insurance company of the guy that hit it has declared the value as ~$1950.
There is no way I could replace it for that much, so I'm working with the insurance company to get more.

My big question is should I keep the bug or let it go?

http://gregoryusa.net/Ashley/20180113_143939.jpg

I'm not a body guy, so I don't know if I could keep it and repair this damage for not much money.

I need input

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
First I would see what other NB TDI's are selling for, the insurance companies will low ball you. You have to play hard ball with them.

It doesn't look like frame damage from that picture.
You can get a used rh rear fender and pass door assy from a salvage yard, won't be that expensive.
The big problem is the rh quarter panel and rh rocker tube. The tube I'd probably leave if the appearance doesn't bother you. The rh quarter panel I'd get an estimate for it.

I'd personally keep the car, as you said it can't be replaced at that price there willing to give you, again get comps on other cars in your are of same type, mileage and condition, diesels tend to command more money even with higher mileage, just my .02. Good luck and let us know how you fair.
On a side note you can always part the car out, personally I wouldn't, but then again I like a challenge ; )

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you decide to sell it pm Dweisel, he’s always on the hunt for 5spd Beetle diesels.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Someone hit my bug :(
It's a 2001 GLS TDI with a 5-spd.
It currently has ~265k miles and zero rust or other exterior damage.
Everything works, and it has pretty decent cloth interior.
I was getting between 46-48 mpg driving back and forth to work.
The insurance company of the guy that hit it has declared the value as ~$1950.
There is no way I could replace it for that much, so I'm working with the insurance company to get more.
My big question is should I keep the bug or let it go?
http://gregoryusa.net/Ashley/20180113_143939.jpg
I'm not a body guy, so I don't know if I could keep it and repair this damage for not much money.
I need input
It's a shame,but looks like a part out to me. You stated above that you're no body guy. It needs body work. Your other option would to just put a right front fender,right rear fender, passenger door and call it good. Unless you want to foot the bill for some body work.

dweisel

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Sounds like the insurance is valuing it as a gasser. I don't know how TX insurance works but you might want to go through your company so you get a fair value. Check with someone know knows TX insurance first though.

Find the most expensive comparable TDI Beetles in your area and kindly demand no less. EBay completed listings will help too. It's a search option on there.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I need input
I would do the body work myself.

Haven't done bondo work in many years and the cost of some body panels are so cheap it's not worth doing it.

You might have to get the quarter panel slices welded, hammer work close to the shape, then a bit of bondo.

Salvage yard may even have the same color parts which would save more.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Door skin may be repairable (straighten, filler) even with the small hole in it, although a used door may be a better option. The rear quarter panel is destroyed and will need to be replaced or cut out and patched with new metal (welded in). Fenders, no big deal as they are ABS plastic.

The rockers on the beetles are a Royal PIA to fix but overlays are available. Still not easy to fix.

What did you hit to do that much damage?:confused:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Mt 05 golf had been totaled two times. If the framework is straight keep it if you don't mind the looks. You need to pull up current sales for the insurance to go off off. One Golf I had to do that to get it fair but they came up on price. Last one I thought was fair. 05 Golf 5800 with 200k miles is what the insurance valued Nov 2017

01JettaInTX

TDI
I've been working with the insurance company...
They initially said my bug was worth only $1937.50 - according to their precious NADA book. <rolling eyes>

Since there is no way I could replace it for that much, they told me to submit 'comps' - ads of the same car to give them an idea of what it would cost to replace it. They wouldn't accept craigslist ads as comps, though. <whatever>

I couldn't find any 2001 TDI bugs w/ a 5-spd in the entire country, so I sent them three 2000 TDI 5-spd bug ads.
They rejected all of them because they will only review cars of the exact same year/make/model... <sheesh!>

So, I looked at a couple other sites and managed to find three 2001 TDI bugs... but they didn't have 5-spd trannys.
The prices ranged from $3800 to $4900.

Today, I got a call from the total-loss insurance adjuster. She said that even though I gave her three valid comps, there is no way they are giving me $3800 for my bug... because their all-knowing NADA says it isn't worth $3800.
Why on earth did they make me go to all that trouble if they knew they weren't going to give me what it would cost me to replace it?

She said the most she can offer is $2500, plus $20 per day [for 30 days] for loss-of-use on my bug.
I told her I'd consult my attorney and get back to her.

I'm going to wait for their offer in writing, but I'm thinking about accepting the offer.
$2500 + $600 isn't too bad.

Their first offer had a difference of $638 for a buy-back. If this offer is close to that, I may keep the car.

Comments?

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
This is as good as it is going to get. Take the offer.
The whole "I'll talk to my attorney" line is like peeing in a hurricane. Attorneys in my area run a minimum of $185/hour.....and those are the ones with a bottle in their desk. Plus, I have yet to see one cut a farrt with less than a $5000 retainer.

Wait until you manage to get involved in a fatal accident (through no true fault of your own) where the insurance company performs a pay-out on the death of the other driver. Your life will become total hell as the insurance company legal team goes after you for ANYTHING to recoup their losses. They will know exactly WHERE and how MUCH your bank accounts and real estate is worth in less than about 8 hours. They will savagely pursue you for ALL of that value in very short order....and, because it is civil, you will be forced to defend yourself. You may have had a cracked windshield or heavily worn brakes prior to the accident. This info will be skillfully used against you.

Take the money and run and learn what ever lesson can be learned from this experience.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Gotta agree with the above, while you might try again with some submissions and explain that diesels are different, if you get an attorney involved he’s the only one who will come out ahead.

I heard the story of a couple who got married, second marriage for both and shortly after they tied the knot they realized it wasn’t going to work. So the husband went to a friend of his who had legal experience prior to the attorney visit. The friend asked the husband what property they had in common. A $3000 used car. Give it to her the friend counseled.

The husband went to the attorney appointment and the attorney preyed on his ego, and got him mad. Three years and $17000 in attorney fees later they were still fighting over that car.

It’s just like those class action suits one or two original defendants get some money, the attorney makes enough to buy a house or two in the Caribbean and everybody else gets a free oil change or a $20 Visa card.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tell them you'll accept their offer if they also give you the beetle for free.

Now I like that idea, then you can sell the carcass or part it out to make up the difference they're not paying you.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tell them you'll accept their offer if they also give you the beetle for free.
This is what I would do also. If they accept, you will get a letter from them saying if the car is made roadworthy again, it will have to be re-titled as "salvage". We just went through this in Texas with a car.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Way back in 2011 my wife totalled our 2002 Jetta TDI. It was valued at $3500 but try and but a replacement for that price was impossible. They were there but you had to be at the right place at the right time. For $350 I decided to keep the car and just use parts off of it once in a while. Now I have an automatic 2001 that I picked up cheep and the trany is going to go into it.

Personally I think yours is still in good enough shape to fix and keep driving.

01JettaInTX

TDI
The insurance folks just contacted me.
They offered me $1800 for the car if I keep it.
That's a $700 buy-back.
If I were to repair it, I'm not sure it would be worth as much as I'd have in it.

Anyone willing to pay me $800 for it?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Look at the data from your poll. 11 of 13 said new fender and drive on. You have many cars in your fleet but no spares for when one breaks or needs service. This car is worth way more than the 100 bucks you are going to make selling it.

01JettaInTX

TDI
I'm in Houston and I said I would be interested if you were to sell it. Is the car driveable?
I drove it 20-25 miles home after the wreck. It seemed to drive quite straight.

I'm a bit worried about the fender; i'd hate to see it fly apart at highway speeds. How hard is it to slap a fender on a bug?

It needs a battery. The pas two weeks of sub-30s temps killed it.

01JettaInTX

TDI
Look at the data from your poll. 11 of 13 said new fender and drive on. You have many cars in your fleet but no spares for when one breaks or needs service.
The fleet in my signature is only my vw fleet. I have a 97 K1500 pickup as my spare. My wife drives a '12 Acadia [that I'm not allowed to mess with, BTW], and my toys are '91 Syclone and '09 E63 AMG.

And... today my daughter sold me her '03 Jetta TDI 5spd, because she bought a 2010 MINI Cooper

The bug is in the way, right now

This car is worth way more than the 100 bucks you are going to make selling it.
That is true, but I just don't have time to mess with it. It would be a great high-mpg spare for someone.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I drove it 20-25 miles home after the wreck. It seemed to drive quite straight.
I'm a bit worried about the fender; i'd hate to see it fly apart at highway speeds. How hard is it to slap a fender on a bug?
It needs a battery. The pas two weeks of sub-30s temps killed it.
Duct tape on the fender will suffice. I've made some pretty long tows with no front fenders on Beetles. One from Houston to my place in WV. Just drove an 03 Beetle from Canyon Lake, TX to my place with a broken/cracked rear fender held together with duct tape. It held up perfectly for that trip. Member aja8888 (Tony) helped me out on both of these TX BEETLE retrievals.
Thanks Tony
I wouldn't hesitate to drive it without the fender or with a temporary tape fix. Tony is fully capable of getting your Beetle to its destination safely.
NC 03 BEETLE RETRIEVAL. 01/18

Canyon Lake, TX BEETLE 01-18

dweisel

Last edited:

01JettaInTX

TDI
Looks like I wore-out the insurance folks.
I pointed-out the fact that their first offer had a buy-back difference of $638, but their latest offer was $700.
They made me another offer, and I'm going to accept it.
I'm now the proud owner of a broken bug with a salvage title.
That's one more project for me <sigh>