Should I replace my springs?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I am going to replace my shocks struts and mounts on my 06 Jetta 260,000 miles, is there any reason to replace the springs if they aren't broken?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look for small pieces broken off at the ends. Look at the powdercoating. If there's any breaks (jagged ends) or significant surface corrosion you may want to replace them. They may be OK, but if one does break during the life of the next set of struts and shocks you'll have to take everything apart again. If they're intact and relatively rust free, don't replace.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
I had to replace the rear springs on my daughters 2006 Jetta at 100,000 miles. The dealer said it common for them to brake from rust. I be surprised if the springs you have are the original ones.

I would recommend to replace them. But then again my Jetta has spent it's life in Nebraska not UT.

Jergren

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI manual
Do some homework first -
At 212,000 miles I decided to replace the struts and springs on all 4 corners.
I really didn't care for the aftermarket options so I did some research and put drop out struts/springs/mounts from a wrecked 2014 GLI that had 6,000 miles on it. Not bad for $160.
For the back I used the same GLI shocks and went to the Tiguan springs to raise the rear up a bit. Upon taking everything apart in the rear, both OEM rear springs were broken.
Good luck with your decision.

blatant

TDI
05.5 BRM
I recently replaced my dampers with Sach replacements at 250,000 miles. My springs were intact and with little to no corrosion showing.

I replaced everything but the springs.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Look for delamination or physical damage. Other replaced their springs for ride adjustment.