Serpentine belt replacement

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Is there a mileage requirement for the serpentine belt replacement? The maintenance book in the car does not specify, just to inspect and replace as needed. Mine was replaced with the last timing belt replacement and has about 30k miles on it.
2005 Passat

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have only ever changed them with the timing belt and the old ones were always in fine shape. On my third TB now.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
It should be noted that the oem or high quality replacement belts will last longer than the cheaper economy auto parts store belts. One feels like rubber the cheaper almost like paper

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If it looks good, don't worry about it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I usually buy gates or dayco belts but my 7.3 excursion likes to squeak even with all new idler pulleys and tensioner, i went to Goodyear gator belts and squeak free for 30k. But i always keep a spare under the passenger seat just in case im on a long road trip and lose one.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Continental is my belt of choice, same as from the factory. As mentioned they'll easily last as long as the timing belt will (80,000 miles).
YMMV.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Ran ours to the timing belt change and looked just fine.

Cooler climate though may help.