Avoiding surging boost?

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
I have a BRM 1.9tdi in my MK5 Jetta with a muffler delete. I have heard before on tdiclub that it's dangerous to have a full straight pipe+EGR delete with the stock turbo because there is a risk of boost surge/ overboosting. Is this true? I have a Buzzken egr delete kit + race pipe on the way and want to know if I should wait and get a PD140 turbo (already was a planned upgrade) so I don't **** up my engine.

If I sound like I don't know what I'm doing or using the wrong terms, I'm pretty new to mechanics and am trying to learn as much as possible about TDI's :eek:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I have also heard it is possible, I can't say for sure though how likely it is. Personally I would do them at the same time anyways because taking the exhaust apart sucks and I wouldn't want to do it more times than I had to.

81-1.6

TDI
06 Jetta TDI PD
I never had trouble with it and mine is straight through. But its got a straight through glasspack in it maybe thats enough restriction to prevent it. I'm running my stock turbo with egr delete and boosting in the 28 psi range. But I agree, if your gonna do the turbo upgrade why not do it at the same time