Schmokin'

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I recently resurrected an '01 Jetta w/ 250k miles on the clock. Had a busted up exhaust and a non functioning starter, and has a bad fan control module. Otherwise it's fine, I think. While I had the exhaust apart, I noticed I could see straight through the catalytic converter, no baffles, nothing. Has no codes, no CEL.
Anyway, it smokes a lot on startup, and continues to do so when I just drive it around. It's especially noticeable on the overrun, or when I give it lots of pedal. I can also hear the turbo spooling really well.

I think the exhaust is aftermarket because the downpipe doesn't have any provision to accommodate the mount on the subframe, and I had to add the mounts on the crossmember. Other than that I think it's okay.

Is this a timing issue? Turbo? Exhaust valve problem? I also noticed that the oil is right at the top of the cross hatched pattern on the dipstick, and the former owner seemed obsessed with oil level.

Ideas? Should I sell this thing right away or run it?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Hm. I have a compression tester but I've only ever used it on motorcycles. Pretty sure a diesel tester would have a higher rating, right?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Very much so. You need to be able to accommodate compression up to at least 550 psi. 19.5:1 (not accounting for loss in combustion chamber volume if there's carbon build up) dynamically ends up pretty high. A TDI engine in good condition can return up to 520 psi when tested warm.

Cheers,

PH

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
So I asked around, a diesel mechanic friend of mine has one but he's asking what adapter I need (Lang vs Tool Aid)?