A little gasoline in the tank?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Don't listen to that turbobrick420 whatever guy. Sky isn't falling. Sound like another tdi flamer. These cars aren't going to blow up with 10% gas dilution. Bunch of ****ing babies around here.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Don't listen to that turbobrick420 whatever guy. Sky isn't falling. Sound like another tdi flamer. These cars aren't going to blow up with 10% gas dilution. Bunch of ****ing babies around here.
No, the cars won't blow up. It may just shred the innards of the hpfp and leave you sitting on the roadside. Oh wait, NHTSA decided is wasn't an issue either. I guess we all need to move on.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Um, excuse me, but 3.4 gallons of gas in a 16.5 gallon fuel tank amounts to 20.6% gasoline, waaaay too much for a CR fueling system to handle. And yes, there are enough documented HPFP failures attributable to misfiling to cause VW to refuse to pay for fueling system damage due to this cause, as well as to make folks here try to tell you to flush the system before you do destroy that pump

Just so you'll know, if you do destroy the HPFP, repairs are going to set you back around $10,000 because you will have to replace the pump, and all the injectors, the fuel filter and housing, the fuel tank, and all the high and low pressure fuel lines as well.

And if you insist on driving this tank of fuel out, your odds of escaping that damage are going to be very, very low indeed.

But hey, it's your car, do what you want.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I agree w the conclusion to drain the tank. But. VW did in fact sanction running up to %25 gasoline to the diesel in my '82 idi 2.4 straight six for subfreezing weather. I didn't like the idea and never did. Horrible idea in a tdi. Also the agitation from fueling is likely to prevent the gasoline from floating on top completely. The ethanol is really of no concern in a misfuel situation. And lastly, a gasoline misfuel will likely result in pre ignition, not non ignition.
Huh? It is imposable for a Diesel to experience Pre-ignition because of how fuel is delivered. So a Diesel engine refusing to run after mis-fueling is because of pre-ignition which is impossible in a TDI?

The reason a gasoline engine may experience pre-ignition is because the fuel is injected prior to the ignition event. On a Diesel the start of ignition is initiated by the fuel being injected. Big difference.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just so you'll know, if you do destroy the HPFP, repairs are going to set you back around $10,000 because you will have to replace the pump, and all the injectors, the fuel filter and housing, the fuel tank, and all the high and low pressure fuel lines as well.
Not that the difference is that great, but I've seen posted on here more recent estimations of $5000 - 6000 US for the repairs.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Huh? It is imposable for a Diesel to experience Pre-ignition because of how fuel is delivered. So a Diesel engine refusing to run after mis-fueling is because of pre-ignition which is impossible in a TDI?

The reason a gasoline engine may experience pre-ignition is because the fuel is injected prior to the ignition event. On a Diesel the start of ignition is initiated by the fuel being injected. Big difference.
Nope, you're wrong. In diesel engines the majority of the fuel charge is injected slightly BTDC. The system relies on the properties of the fuel to supply a sufficient amount of ignition delay. If the fuel (Ie gasoline, kerosene etc.) cannot supply sufficient ignition delay, then preignition will result. Pre ignition in a diesel will result in white exhaust smoke and elevated combustion temps. This is why a diesel engine will run hot when burning kerosene. Bottom line: don't fuel your tdi up with gasoline or kerosene, and so long as your injections are properly timed, you will not experience preignition.

mw1113

TDI
Golf MK6
I drove it with the mix of gasoline, diesel and almost 16 oz of Diesel Kleen for 200 miles before I was finally able to jump the in tank pump and flush it all out. After it was empty I replaced 1 gallon of diesel into the tank and jumped the pump again to make sure it was all out. I also replaced the fuel filter and filled up the tank with fresh diesel and some diesel Kleen.
I only did this because you guys made me paranoid. I firmly believe that I would have been ok with the above mixture, most likely because of the Diesel Kleen.
/unsubscribe

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Nope, you're wrong. In diesel engines the majority of the fuel charge is injected slightly BTDC. The system relies on the properties of the fuel to supply a sufficient amount of ignition delay. If the fuel (Ie gasoline, kerosene etc.) cannot supply sufficient ignition delay, then preignition will result. Pre ignition in a diesel will result in white exhaust smoke and elevated combustion temps. This is why a diesel engine will run hot when burning kerosene. Bottom line: don't fuel your tdi up with gasoline or kerosene, and so long as your injections are properly timed, you will not experience preignition.
OK, I must admit that my response was more opinion than fact. IIRC, a properly running and fueled Diesel doesn't even need a knock sensor. Probably the basis of my "opinion".

If I understand your post, the effect of burning gas results in the same as having advanced timing. Does sound very plausible. So, why does trying to run a Diesel engine on gas stop it dead in it's tracks? Way to high compression and apparent advanced timing from the way gas burns, maybe?.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I drove it with the mix of gasoline, diesel and almost 16 oz of Diesel Kleen for 200 miles before I was finally able to jump the in tank pump and flush it all out. After it was empty I replaced 1 gallon of diesel into the tank and jumped the pump again to make sure it was all out. I also replaced the fuel filter and filled up the tank with fresh diesel and some diesel Kleen.
I only did this because you guys made me paranoid. I firmly believe that I would have been ok with the above mixture, most likely because of the Diesel Kleen.
/unsubscribe
Diesel Kleen is no substitute for handling the problem correctly. The damaged caused by gasoline's poor lubricity isn't the only damage gas does. Also, WAY overdosing with Diesel clean can cause potential damage, as well.

Read Audi's warning in post 62.:eek: 200 Miles is an eternity for running with gas in your fuel. A fair amount of damage has probably already been done.

Oh I see the "unsubscibe"......................

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
OK, I must admit that my response was more opinion than fact. IIRC, a properly running and fueled Diesel doesn't even need a knock sensor. Probably the basis of my "opinion".

If I understand your post, the effect of burning gas results in the same as having advanced timing. Does sound very plausible. So, why does trying to run a Diesel engine on gas stop it dead in it's tracks? Way to high compression and apparent advanced timing from the way gas burns, maybe?.
You were right insofar as pre-ignition in a gas engine is a somewhat different phenomenon, and generally more destructive. I think that tdi's will often be inoperable after a misfuel because either the ecu senses pre ignition and shuts things down, or the gasoline vapors cause a vapor lock.

Hopefully the op didn't do too much damage by driving 200 miles w contaminated fuel. But I would be amazed if his hpfp ever sees 200k miles. If it dies next week, I suspect we won't be hearing about it. Got a good laugh out of his diesel kleen miracle cure.