brake issue-need help!

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
for awhile I've been noticing some stiction at the rear brakes, thought it was just the ebrake being finicky-if I didn't use it, things were fine. Now with warm weather it's gotten much worse. Driving on the highway, about 30min to work, the brakes begin to drag. Sometimes they loosen up, most times I have to pull over and jam the pedal. I will feel it push past and sink some, and I am good, usually anyway. I have had to do this 2x when had some traffic. I jacked up the rear, left side was tight, replaced the caliper after breaking the bleeder. Right side seemed mostly ok.... the problem is still there though, maybe even slightly worse. Any ideas? front and rear were replaced about 2 or 3 years ago. grease on the one I pulled was fine. I really can't afford to replace parts that aren't bad in searching for this!
thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Chances are it;'s the other side sticking now unless it was a second hand calliper?

I've just replaced both my rears with brand new genuine units, way less hassle and now my brakes are mint. The seals inside often start to perish and cause the piston to stick, also where the handbrake lever pivot goes through the housing at the back can get a bit messy. I've rebuilt them before and they've been good for a while but yeh, sod it, just went for it and am happy I did.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Sorry, I should have added, I jacked up the corners real quick today, the left was still tight(ish), and the right was ok or slightly sticky
It seems to be something forward of the calipers, but I'm still not sure if anything...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could be the flexi, they can break down internally so the fluid struggles to get back. Hand brake lever fully off?

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Could be the flexi, they can break down internally so the fluid struggles to get back. Hand brake lever fully off?

Agreed, the flex hoses fairly commonly delaminate internally and block the brake fluid from returning. Braided brake lines go a long we to prevent that...Mark

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Yep, that's on the list...lol. the front flex and the axle flex are stainless, about 2-3yrs old, the beam lines (steel/rubber) on the calipers are original. It's just weird that the pedal feels the way it does and gets them to release.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't want them tight, should be nice and free and only use proper brake grease, the wrong stuff attacks the rubber and also dries out and makes them stick all over again.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Mid repair update: busted bleeder, so replaced the other rear caliper. plus the rear steel/flex lines on the beam. Took it for a drive and felt better-but only felt so. Front brake started smoking....oh frigging joy. The front pads are nice and loose, but the guide pins got ****ted up. Cleaning and greasing now.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Are there any problems with the stainless steel flex lines? I think they have a Teflon. Sleeve inside? Just wondering as I have them at the front calipers and the rear beam to body

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
All the busted bleeders make me think the brake fluid might not be replaced as often as it should. Nasty old fluid wreaks havoc on calipers.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Fluid was replaced a few years ago, used the ate super blue. Has less than 50k miles.
took the car for a 2nd drive after greasing the fronts. No bueno. Right front was smoking after about 5 Miles on the highway. Pulled over and it loosened up immediately. Driving after that seemed ok. The pedal did "stack up" a couple of times, but never got tight or smoked. I will try to drive and check it out again tomorrow.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Nothing good....same problem, just not quite as bad..but the other day all 4 were smoking. I'm trying to vacuum bleed the fronts now. But I am beginning to fear it's the master

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
No issues bleeding the fronts, also bled the ABS, and redid the rears, so all fluid is replaced...still no good.
how much of a pita is the master?