Mass Air Flow Sensor issues

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
I just replaced my engine due to a runnaway after Turbo failure. I get a code CEL and although the car runs , but not optimal. It will not boost well, and my fuel milage is about half. So I unplugged the Maf sensor and .... yup she boosts great again, my milage is good as well. From reading here it would appear a new MAF should fix this. I just bought a new one and put it in, and NO difference at all, so I unplugged it again .. and things are good again. :confused: I tried the Cage mod by putting Dielctric grease on the plug as well, No change. I'm stumped ... can someone help me? :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hi, Turbo. Are we working on the Passat or Jetta ALH?

IIRC, there have been problems with the MAF sensor wiring. I think you should inspect that. Also, how is the N75 doing and the condition of vacuum lines on the car in general?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey since you had a runaway turbo, make sure you drain the Intercooler of any oil that may be there.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Thanks for all the excellent advise.... its the ALH Jetta... and yup I swapped out the intercooler and piping with the donor engine. I kept my old MAF and returned the new one. So .. are you suggesting I replace the wiring harness? Who has these? Thanks.