CV joint rebuild

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So, i think I know the answer to the question, but i wanted some confirmation. I was in the process of reassembling the inner passenger cv joint to replace the bad boot. I noticed the following bit of damage. Do I need to replace?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Only if you don't want to have to take it apart again real soon… ;)

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
Afraid to say yes you will need a new joint. One of the balls runs in the groove to provide smooth power transmission and if it's not already damaged soon will be if you were to run in that condition

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Looks familiar!

In my case, I reused that joint on the opposite side rotating in the other direction. Still running to this day. I imagine that it would not be satisfactory if left on the same side, but in my case flipping it over to the other side was just fine after being regreased and rebooted.

Thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=332284

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
I have aftermarket axles in my car with no issues, the one I've had in their the longest is a little over 14,000 miles.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Looks familiar!

In my case, I reused that joint on the opposite side rotating in the other direction. Still running to this day. I imagine that it would not be satisfactory if left on the same side, but in my case flipping it over to the other side was just fine after being regreased and rebooted.

Thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=332284
Wow. That's exactly the same.

I've read about that flip over method but am concerned about the chamfer on one side that is missing from the other side. I thought it might cause an problem. Since you've done it I'll take that as good advice.

The wear on that spot if flipped over would only happen in reverse and hard deceleration in my view.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just so that I store this away in my brain correctly, we're talking about popping off the CV joints from both axles and swapping them side-to-side? Also, this is for OEM axles, right? Applicable to

I might be starting to hear a CV joint getting a bit past its prime.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Just so that I store this away in my brain correctly, we're talking about popping off the CV joints from both axles and swapping them side-to-side? Also, this is for OEM axles, right? Applicable to

I might be starting to hear a CV joint getting a bit past its prime.
I got the impression it was to flip it in place and reinstall but I see what you mean.

Some concern of mine....If you look at Windex's pic, there is a groove on the end because the splines do not go to the end. This is not true on the other side of the part. The groove side is supposed to face to inside of the axle. I have had concern that there is a reason why it's there and it would seem to me the part would be a few mm off from where it should be if flipped over.

However, since it worked for him I am going with this method.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I got the impression it was to flip it in place and reinstall but I see what you mean.
Some concern of mine....If you look at Windex's pic, there is a groove on the end because the splines do not go to the end. This is not true on the other side of the part. The groove side is supposed to face to inside of the axle. I have had concern that there is a reason why it's there and it would seem to me the part would be a few mm off from where it should be if flipped over.
However, since it worked for him I am going with this method.
The swap is for the entire joint from one axle to the other axle, not flip the part over in place as I was talking about.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Exactly. BTDT, and it works very well. Chances are you'll see similar wear on the driven side of the interior races on the other CV joint. At least, that is what I saw when I did this. Since the CV joints are identical even if the boots are not, swapping them gets you a 'new' set of races on the driven side when you're done.

It is about the same amount of work as well, so you save the cost of new CV joints.

Cheers,

PH

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Dealer wanted $331 for the inner joint alone. The whole axle was a lot more.

Idparts has the rebuild kit for $59. The boot kit for $25.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealer wanted $331 for the inner joint alone. The whole axle was a lot more.

Idparts has the rebuild kit for $59. The boot kit for $25.
Holy smokes! Thanks for the info. Sure make it clear why folks look to do the swap. Oh, can one swap outer CV joints too?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, great, thanks!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Same deal on the outers. The CV joint is the same but the boots are different due to the difference in the shaft size.

I'm not doing both of mine at the same time because the outer is such a PIA to get off the shaft. I'll just wait until the outer starts clicking. Or the boot gets torn.

Cheers!

PH

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So here is what the other side looks like. Didn't get a chance to do it last weekend due to the severe rain and flooding in Houston on the day I actually had some time to work on it.

The wear is on every section and the damage is deeper. I put an arrow on the part where you can actually see the wear past the edge.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
germanautoparts has GKN cv joints for ~$90 each

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WOW! That HAD to be making a lot of noise!

As burpod notes, seems that you can buy these from vendors. I think I was perusing BoraParts' site a while back and looked them up. Not sure why no one (until burpod did) had mentioned this option: seems just a mention of boot kits and or complete axles to this point.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
WOW! That HAD to be making a lot of noise!

As burpod notes, seems that you can buy these from vendors. I think I was perusing BoraParts' site a while back and looked them up. Not sure why no one (until burpod did) had mentioned this option: seems just a mention of boot kits and or complete axles to this point.

I didn't hear any noise unless I am tone deaf to what it would sound like. Once in a while I would hear clicking if I went hard into a turn, but not often. I really think swapping sides is not going to be very smart to do. Unfortunately, now I have to wait to get them next week as it is Friday. Bummer.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If it were my car, I would swap them anyway, as long as the balls are in good shape. This is an inner joint - the wear would likely show up as a vibration on acceleration -less so on turns, as the inner joint doesn't flex much while turning.

But I could also see erring on the side of caution and replacing given the wear is on each surface (not just one like on the other side)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If it were my car, I would swap them anyway, as long as the balls are in good shape. This is an inner joint - the wear would likely show up as a vibration on acceleration -less so on turns, as the inner joint doesn't flex much while turning.

But I could also see erring on the side of caution and replacing given the wear is on each surface (not just one like on the other side)
The balls are fine. They look great.

i guess if I can get 160k miles more I would be at 500k miles on the car and that might be it anyway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have aftermarket axles in my car with no issues, the one I've had in their the longest is a little over 14,000 miles.
I tried after-market axles on my red Golf, and they sucked. Fortunately for me, I kept the old (original) axles. Eventually I got fed up with the Chinese axles, rebuilt the old ones, put them back in, and have been happy with them ever since.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If the pitting did not extend to the center part of the hub it would be out of the picture.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I decided against swapping sides and ordered new joints. It's only $30 more to get that as part of the complete kit. The wear was also on the outer part too.

It's my fault as i ran with broken boots for about few years. I should have taken care of it right away.