Hitch Installation

leegravel

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 50.5 mpg
Does anyone know how to install a hitch on an 05' Golf? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on which hitch to purchase--I only need it for an "expandable cargo hitch trailer bag".

wes2233

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi, 2005 Tdi Jetta Wagon
I purchased a hitch for my jetta off of etrailer.com i would assume they have one for the golfs to.... The tow rating for that is only 1,000 pounds. I managed to pull a 4,000 POUND TRAILER! diesel power huh haha

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I put a hitch on my 2k jetta for bike hauling. Ordered on line and hitch came with good instructions and hardware. Took approx 1 hour to install.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
curt hitch is not too pricy, http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_Volkswagen_Golf.htm

but anything will be a class I hitch reciever, for a 1 1/4 square reciever.

you will want to check whatever it is you want to mount the bag on,

and not make it too heavy.

those tend to be a little low, which is ok on flat roads, but you will have to be careful on steep transitions or deep curb cuts.

I have a similar one and use a bike rack.

will the stuff you need fit on a roof rack?

sonspot

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I purchased a hitch for my jetta off of etrailer.com i would assume they have one for the golfs to.... The tow rating for that is only 1,000 pounds. I managed to pull a 4,000 POUND TRAILER! diesel power huh haha
I'm pretty sure all VW cars can only take a class 1 hitch thats rated at 2000lbs maybe a class 2 but very much doubt theres one for the cars (class 2 rated at 3500lbs) Its retarded pulling that much weight with your car..