03 MK4 ALH Truck Lift Supports -- Plastic end pieces keep breaking

nmz787

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, reflex silver, all stock for now, 220k miles
03 MK4 ALH Trunk Lift Supports -- Plastic end pieces keep breaking

When we got this car about 5 years ago the trunk was stiff to open, but it stayed open so I didn't care much. Then I started to read about lubing the joints and such, and did that and things got a bit easier. Then at some point the rod that threads into the ball-socket ripped out of the ball-socket, the threads and ball-socket were plastic.

So I ordered some Monroe replacements, and these ripped out even faster, fast enough that I got replacements with their warranty. Then the replacements ripped out, and for many months now I've been opening the trunk with no lift supports. Just a few days ago I had the trunk fall on my shoulder and it HURT, left a slight red bruise for a day or two.

So I'm wondering, is there a manufacturer out there that makes these lift supports with METAL ENDS?
Here's a pic that I sent for the warranty replacement (glad I had this in my email to show you all!).
http://imgur.com/bT615Am

Last edited by a moderator:

nmz787

TDI
Couldn't edit the post title to correct Truck (which should be Trunk). Mods/Admin???

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Meistersatz lift shocks , they are kinda stiff. They have plastic ends but I don't see an issue with that . Just lube the joint with some graphite grease

In the Golf , I used the old one in the hood

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
threads pulling out can really only be two things- the ends are being overtightened and stripped out, or you're pulling the lid up manually?

nmz787

TDI
Well, in Jan 2018 one of the trunk hinges seized and snapped off as I was closing the lid. The lid then rammed into the rear windshield causing it to spider web and shatter. So uh... anyone reading this. If your trunk isn't opening easily, SWAP THOSE HINGES NOW!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Well, in Jan 2018 one of the trunk hinges seized and snapped off as I was closing the lid. The lid then rammed into the rear windshield causing it to spider web and shatter. So uh... anyone reading this. If your trunk isn't opening easily, SWAP THOSE HINGES NOW!
been there, done that...weren't my car neither :poop: