Rear Suspension Design?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Hi all, I realize this is the "Upgrade section" and my question is more about OEM suspension design. But, with that being said my question only leads into what upgrades will be made.

I am looking to replace my 06 Jetta which had turbo/tune, suspension, and brake mods. Now the 06 rear was an IRS, where as previous generations were beam suspension as I recall. I believe the IRS is superior to the beam for vehicle handling dynamics. Now, I have not looked under newer vehicles but if I am not mistaken the Jetta TDI now comes with a beam rear again...is that correct? I say that because I've read where the IRS was swapped into the newer Jetta chassis (IRS from say a more "sporty" Jetta/Golf).

I am actually in the market for a 2015 Passat TDI, which I plan to throw a few mods at over time and research....same as I did with the 06 Jetta (engine/suspension/brake mods). I also have not crawled under one....yet! As I will stop by a dealer when closed so I don't get harassed by sales staff....haha. But what rear suspension lurks beneath the latest Passats?

If I was in the market for a newer Jetta (with beam rear?) I'd probably pirate my IRS for the swap....need to re-read that post on here re: beam to IRS swap.....Thanks everyone for listening!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the NMS Passats have IRS.

You cannot swap the IRS from your A5 into a diesel A7 with the beam type rear suspension, mainly due to how the DEF tank is arranged, but there are other differences. You *can* do it, it just isn't a simple bolt in affair, other changes would have to be made. I personally do not think it would be worth the effort.

You are correct than IRS does improve road manners. However, I do not think most people who own these cars would know nor care about the difference. I find the beam type A7 diesels (the few that exist here) to be perfectly fine to drive, but maybe on some twisty roads with a few unsettled uneven surfaces the IRS cars would hold the road better.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Ok, so NCS Jetta (aka Mk6, but not really) started as beam rear suspension (drag link design like a Dodge minivan) in the sedans and changed to IRS a couple years in. So a 2015 Jetta TDI sedan can be had with IRS (90% certain about '15)

The Jetta/Golf wagon based on Mk5 and 6 up to 2014 were IRS based on Mk5 Jetta and Mk6 Golf. Not sure if the facelift actual changed to other chassis, but they are similar chassis in appearance. Possible even some stuff swaps over.

The MQB based SportWagen (now Golf) gets a beam rear axle similar to Mk4 cars again. Excuse is to make room to clear DEF tank.

Jason