Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Has anyone tried an Edge Insight to montior the vitals? I believe they display regen aswell...

Just wondering, I was thinking about driving over there to see what they had.
i hooked up my edge insight cts to watch this. i saw cat up stream and cat downstream instead of 1 and 2. so far i see low as 200 and 5-600 driving.

Last edited:

Lad79der

TDI
2012 Passat
What gauges are you guys monitoring now with the scangauge?

Id like to monitor Boost and EGT on my 2012 Passat TDI... but what do you do with the other two gauges?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're doing calculated horsepower and road speed right now. Haven't made any progress getting it to show boost. I'll need to look into DSG temp, as that would be an interesting one to watch.

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I hope I didn't skip over it, but those of you with 2010's (Jettas) and whatever else, that couldn't read EGT or water temp, did you get water temp to work at all?

I plugged in the new values that hardtimes posted for EGT and it works great. FWIW, I have mods as seen in sig. EGT and water temp were really the only two things I wanted to monitor.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I found another post with working water temp X-gauge information.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anyone have luck with the VW specific trans temp and water temp gauges?

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/vw-specific-xgauges/

The DSG temp would be nice.

If I ever have some free time I will try to get the boost data displayed.
I have these on my Torque gauges. Both show exactly the same temp down to the 1/10th degree and fluctuate in time with each other. Seems kind of odd that they are exactly the same and fluctuate together.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
i hooked up my edge insight cts to watch this. i saw cat up stream and cat downstream instead of 1 and 2. so far i see low as 200 and 5-600 driving.
Im considering buying an edge insight cts. Any more info on what if any other parameters display correctly??

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
I have these on my Torque gauges. Both show exactly the same temp down to the 1/10th degree and fluctuate in time with each other. Seems kind of odd that they are exactly the same and fluctuate together.
Coolant is used to cool the DSG, so it sounds like the DSG coolant temp is what's showing. Too bad, I was hoping it would be the trans fluid temp itself...

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
The second code worked great for my 2010 JSW:

EGT 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 054106780000
RXD: 4808
MTH: 09000032FFD8
NAM: EG2

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I could have missed it as Ive been reading through but does anyone have the codes for monitoring coolant temps on the passat? I saw a link a few post back for coolant temperature but it says those arent for 08 and newer vehicles

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Coolant temp should be one of the built-in displays on the ScanGauge. I don't recall having to add it as an Xgauge.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
Just installed the Scangauge, took about 20-30 mins all together. Mounted it on the dash, and entered the EGT Xgauge. I was expecting the Xgauge to take some time and be tedious as some have stated, but it took me all of two mins to complete. I guess it was easy because alot of the posts in this thread outlined it for me. So thanks to everyone for all of the information!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I sent an email earlier today to Linear Logic, manufacturer of ScanGauge, asking the same question I asked here. Here is the reply I received:

Harvey,

The ScanGaugeII can monitor Boost as long as the vehicle reports MAP. About 50% of vehicles report MAP, however we do not have a listing of which vehicles do. Unfortunately, we do not have exhaust gas temperature available for your vehicle.

Regards,

Cristina Bollinger
Repairs and Technical Support
Linear Logic

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Can any of the programming values used for these XGauges be used to program additional PID's in the Torque app? I am clueless about this stuff and am trying to learn. Thanks!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's probably a good discussion to have in the OBD Scanners forum.

AirmanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Grey/Black
Experienced first regen with the sc. II. Topped out around 680 Celsius and last bang on 20 mis. Also noted that the coolant went up about 2 or 3 degrees as well during the regen

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just got mine set up and working. Pretty easy set up...have EGT, Load, Coolant temp, Gallons Per Hour/Fuel Flow on there now. Fit pretty good on the thin part of the soft dash above the steering wheel housing that surrounds the gauges/display. Kind of thin but seems to hold just fine. Worked well with tucking the cord around. (Did not use the scangauge mount I ordered as it would cause it to sit too high in my opinion, so will send it back for those who may be considering it)

Thanks for all the help in this thread for it!

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I interrupted another regen, the fourth since I got the car, on Friday and that was the last time.

Just ordered one and can't wait for it to show up.

Thanks to everyone passing on the info!

Regards

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Happy to help! Glad you're investing in a ScanGauge. :cool:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Question about the ScanGauge and watching the regen temps. I programed in the #1 and #3 sensors and when it goes into regen, they BOTH read up into the 1400-1550* range. I thought I was told the #1 sensor was "pre-turbo" and 3 would be the one to ready the high regen temps. Was I misinformed?

Thanks in advance for any insight or answers to the above!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
#1 will also read high temps - those are the temps coming out of the engine. The engine is what creates the heat for the regen using post-injection to make EGTs skyrocket in order to heat up the DPF. DPF temp can go up even higher than the pre-turbo EGT due to the burn that takes place inside the DPF.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Can you tell me the approx temps that I'll see at the 4 different sensors? Both during normal operation AND during regen?

I know the system inducts fuel into the DPF to burn off/clean it but can I even monitor that temp with any of those sensors? I have read through the operation, but I don't recall where it says a can do what I want.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
All sensors will be above 1100F during regen. Typical pre-turbo EGT will be 300-400 at idle and up to 900 during normal driving. Climbing up a mountain, towing, or prolonged acceleration will make it go even higher.

You really only need to monitor one of the sensors to know when the system is doing a regen. I recommend pre-turbo.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
SHOOT!! OK.... I was hoping I could look at the PRE-TURBO (exit from exhaust manifold) and another down stream sensor just to be able to monitor the 2 different temps. I appreciate your input!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
SHOOT!! OK.... I was hoping I could look at the PRE-TURBO (exit from exhaust manifold) and another down stream sensor just to be able to monitor the 2 different temps. I appreciate your input!
You can. You can monitor any or ALL of them simultaneously. It's pretty useless to have all of that data in front of you, but you can do it if you want.