Are new speakers even worth the trouble?

Jenny07

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI Diesel
My 06 Jetta has a newer aftermarket radio unit in it but the speakers sound like absolute garbage. Ive seen comments about some issues people run into when they change the speakers so if anyone has any tips or advice on which ones to buy id be so happy! Im not looking to put a sub in, just want some speakers that have more bass and clarity than my current ones. thanks in advance!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The PO of my old B5.5 Passat had installed Polk Audio speakers with the existing Monsoon amp and it sounded fantastic even without a sub. Our new Golf Sportwagen has the Fender system with the sub in the spare tire and it is up more than several notches from the Passat.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I put Alpine components up front and Alpine 6" in the rear and then an Alpine Type R sub in the back. Sound is pretty clear and bass is good as well.

They are a bit of work to install and removing the body panels can result in rattles and buzzing down the road. If the work is done carefully, changing out the stock speakers is the way to go.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I still have the factory speakers in my 2001 Jetta Sedan; I swapped out the head unit with one that has parametric EQ, and they sound great. Plenty of bass, clear mids and crisp highs. I have many years in the audio industry (pro sound) and I was amazed at how good the factory speakers can sound. I used to run a 131 dB competition quality system in my Rabbit, so compared to that system there isn't much bass to speak of.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Short version is: yes.
If you want the longer version with a lengthy explanation, PM me. I'm down to chat audio.

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
In my mk4 golf I installed infinity component door speakers, 10" sub, and a 5 channel amp. Compared to my roommates mk4 wagon with stock monsoon radio, my set up was leaps and bounds better. Sounded much crisper and clear even without the subwoofer. I recommend the speaker upgrade.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I went the Soumatrix OEM replacement speaker route, love them! New Alpine head unit as well with old school Altec Lansing ALA435 amp.

Sub & box is waiting to go in next.