MN Chat Thread

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Hi,

First time poster but occasional lurker and not TDI savvy even though I have had one for 6 years. I just drive it and change the oil, rinse and repeat.

I just bought a 2004 Passat TDI wagon from a used car dealer via an eBay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250682290651

Unfortunately it came with only one regular electronic key/fob and one valet key. My local dealer (Eich Motors, St. Cloud, MN) charges about $200 (w/tax) to provide a key. I have searched the forum where this is a frequent topic and have found that $200 is actually not an unreasonable price for a one stop key buying experience. Any significantly cheaper alternatives?? On eBay I can find uncut keys with cases-only as well as keys with electronics from people who likely have gotten rid of their cars. I assume I could buy an uncut key (with case) and install the electronics from an eBay key, then have it cut by a locksmith and reprogram it myself. Almost takes me up to $200 right there.

Also, the seller included the window sticker. Here is a scan:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/rsewill/sticker.jpg

What does "Leather Seating Surfaces" mean on the window sticker? Leatherette or real leather? Hard for me to tell just by looking at it and feeling it. I have leatherette in my '03 Jetta TDI sedan (bought new but now has 101k miles) but it is cheapy aftermarket conversion and doesn't have the 'quality' look and feel of the Passat's 'surfaces'. But the Passat doesn't have the suppleness or appearance of leather I have had in some older cars.

Any places to buy a good 505.01 oil besides the dealer? I use Mobil 1 in my Jetta. The forum seems all over the place on oil. Obviously a 10W-40 would be nice. I can probably find a local place that sells the Mobil VW 505.01 oil (or maybe the Pentosin or Valvoline stuff?)

Thanks,
Ron

>>>>

More info for anyone curious:

I had been looking with cash in hand for a nice '04 or '05 Passat TDI wagon for some years, checking this forum and eBay as well as using searchtempest.com to search all of Craigslist in the USA. I wanted something other than the gray exterior, gray interior of my '03 Jetta.

This one has most everything I wanted except it doesn't have power seats. I also really like the beige interior and the Samoa Red (looks brown) exterior. And with 37,500 miles on the odometer it has not even been broken-in.

Well, it had 37,500 miles. Not anymore. I called the eBay seller as soon as the posting went up (he included his phone number in the listing.) He said I called within an hour of his posting the auction but I know I called within minutes of it appearing on eBay based on my search order. It did not have a Buy It Now but did have a reserve of $12k (which I discovered by placing a $14k bid.) He also had it on his sales lot with a window price of $14,995 + his $67.50 title, etc. transfer fees. He described the car in more detail, told me it was a local trade from an older couple whom he said I was welcome to call (but I didn't), and I then offered his asking price which he accepted.

The only bad part was the added expense ($628 for two) of flying out to pick up the car. That and the $1300 in taxes, etc. at our local deputy registrar... Cortez, CO is some 1200 miles from St. Cloud, MN. My son, who will be a high school senior this year, wanted to visit two colleges in Colorado so he came with and got to visit his colleges. We flew because it wasn't practical for us to take the time to drive the Jetta to Cortez and then each drive a car back.

After I completed the transaction the dealer told me he had received a call about an hour after mine from someone who saw the Completed eBay posting and wanted to know why he had stopped the auction. The dealer said the guy sounded quite upset. Perhaps a tdiclub.com member?

The Passat is in very good condition save for a few small scratches on the lift gate and sides and now some paint chips on the front. The dealer had detailed the car which was also a nice touch. Unhappily I did get some damage while driving east on I-90 in South Dakota when we came upon a paving crew working westbound using belly dumps which were turning around to head east right after dumping their asphalt which was flying everywhere including onto 5 places on my windshield. Fortunately I have full glass coverage because the contractor (Knife River) refused to pay damages, telling me it was a 'road hazard' even though the asphalt fell off their trucks and was scattered all over the highway.

Besides the key, I also need a matching center head rest for the back seat (beige). The original owner took it out because it blocked his rear view and he could not find it anymore. Shouldn't be too hard to find from a junk yard.

My wife is very understanding.

Ps. I made a couple of attempts at formatting for paragraphs - hope it works this time.

Ron,

I'm assuming you've read the B5 Passat forum here and are up to speed on the balanced shaft concerns with this vehicle ?

bkrahmer

TDI
2006 Passat Wagon
After a LOT of reading and research, I decided to use the Mobile 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (commonly referred to on the forum as M1 TDT). Essentially the research suggests that this oil is better for the engine than true 505.01. If you do insist on 505.01 (for the warranty), make sure you find a 5W-40, as most now are 5W-30.
We bought our 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI (ALH) new 8 years ago. I've been using Mobil 1 Delvac 1 5W30 (hard to find, I have only bought it online and at Freightliner truck shops) since the 2nd oil change. When I had the valve cover off when I did my timing belt at 85k miles, there was absolutely ZERO sludge or buildup anywhere to be found, and the cam lobes looked completely brand new. I will run this oil forever, and unless I hear compelling evidence otherwise, I suggest others do too... My car has run in every condition, from 105 degrees to -22, stop-n-go to 3000 mile roadtrips at 80mph. It was $40/gallon the last time I bought it, and I do oil changes roughly every 9k miles.

cheers,
brian

rsewill

TDI
'03 Jetta automatic '04 Passat wagon
Gentleman,

Sirpuddingfoot wrote:

$200 is a reasonable price (up to $290 in the twin cities) and almost no hassle on your part.

My reply:

After reading all the posts about eBay keys not being accepted for cutting by dealers and other stories about keys paid for but never getting shipped, I will pay the $200. The parts guy at the dealer said if I lost another key I would be in deep trouble because it would be much harder to recover whatever is needed to make a key. He didn't elaborate.

Sirpuddingfoot wrote:

So far as I know, the only available non-cloth material was the leatherette. It's pretty nice, and will stand up to wear and tear much better than real leather.

My reply:

It is in very good shape. You are quite right that leather does tend to show wear and tear.

Sirpuddingfoot wrote:

After a LOT of reading and research, I decided to use the Mobile 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (commonly referred to on the forum as M1 TDT). Essentially the research suggests that this oil is better for the engine than true 505.01. If you do insist on 505.01 (for the warranty), make sure you find a 5W-40, as most now are 5W-30

My reply:

I did a lot of searching on the forum before choosing Mobil 1 for my Jetta. I will see if I can find M1 TDT. I have no remaining warranty due to the age of the car ('04) so that isn't an issue. I would like to see the odometer go over 200k and then some.

Sirpuddingfoot wrote:

In any case, big congrats on the purchase! We're extremely happy with our 05 Wagon and it has 104k on it. You got it for a steal with that kind of mileage.

My reply:

I am very happy with it so far. Except that my wife has firmly laid claim to this wagon because she currently has a '97 Taurus wagon which is now going to go to our son to replace his worn out '98 Taurus sedan. I will continue to drive the '03 Jetta except when we go out together.

The price was quite acceptable to all parties because the car spec'ed out just as I wanted save for no power seats and the dealer got his asking price. It would likely have gone for about what I paid had the eBay auction gone to completion except I might not have been the high bidder. I'm quite happy with the car and the deal.

Steve-o wrote:

"Leather seating surfaces" means that the tops of the seat cushions (and, sometimes, the head restraint) are genuine leather, but the stuff you don't typically touch (like the front of the seat, back, etc.) are "leatherette" or vinyl. Just a way for seat makers to offer a "leather" seat for less $$.

My reply:

So you disagree a bit with Sirpuddingfoot on the leather? I'm happy with the way the seats feel and appear. I have seen many 'for sale' posts that claim the Passat they are selling has seats that are "real leather, not leatherette" as a selling point. I did not want cloth because they are harder to keep clean (I am a truck driver and tend to be a bit grubby by the time I head home after work) as well as hating the annoying static discharge in the winter from the cloth seats when exiting a vehicle. I know one can always keep a hand on the metal part of the car as you step out but...

Steve-o wrote:

I'm not sure about St. Cloud, but I'd guess there are "oil distributors" up there; they should be able to get pretty much anything you'd want (at least from the major petro companies). There certainly are businesses like that here in The Cities; I've been getting my Rotella by the case from Hallman in St. Paul.

My reply:

Yes, I can get it from a local oil company. But I got my Mobli 1 for my Jetta from Wal-Mart because the distributor was on the opposite end of town. And more expensive.

Steve-o wrote:

Good that it worked out for you, but craigslist does not permit cross-posting for eBay auctions, and ending an eBay auction early because the same item was sold on craigslist skirts their ToS, too.

My reply:

Sorry for any confusion from my posting. The dealer selling on eBay had not crossposted to Craigslist. I mentioned Craigslist because I had been searching for a car like this using searchtempest.com to search all of the USA. The dealer did mention in the auction notice that the car was for sale locally and that the listing might end without notice. Not uncommon for cars and even other items. I just didn't happen to be a local.

MethylEster wrote:

I'm assuming you've read the B5 Passat forum here and are up to speed on the balanced shaft concerns with this vehicle?

My reply:

No, I hadn't known of the problem. I will research it now. My '03 Jetta has an automatic which has a very bad rep but that I hope lasts a good long time.

Bkrahmer wrote:

We bought our 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI (ALH) new 8 years ago. I've been using Mobil 1 Delvac 1 5W30 (hard to find, I have only bought it online and at Freightliner truck shops) since the 2nd oil change. When I had the valve cover off when I did my timing belt at 85k miles, there was absolutely ZERO sludge or buildup anywhere to be found, and the cam lobes looked completely brand new. I will run this oil forever, and unless I hear compelling evidence otherwise, I suggest others do too... My car has run in every condition, from 105 degrees to -22, stop-n-go to 3000 mile roadtrips at 80mph. It was $40/gallon the last time I bought it, and I do oil changes roughly every 9k miles.

My reply:

Pretty much my experience with the same oil (mine is 5W-40) except that I haven't seen the innards of the engine on my '03 Jetta TDI. I bought enough of this oil during a Wal-Mart sale to last 100k miles. I have half of it left.

My thanks to all who replied!

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
cheers,
brian
Brian, I dont want to knock the other great oils made, but, the cam lobe design on the Passat BHW engine is nothing short of stupid. There are many threads on the forum that detail why the 505.01 spec (and now there are two others (M1 TDT $21-$26/gallon @ Walmart and O'Reilly, and M1 FM ESP for $28-$32/gallon from pep boys)) are necessary for this ultra-picky vehicle.
I also suggest you take a trip to O'Reilly as they have the Delvac 5-30 for less than $30/gallon.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Did my first mileage run. 100&494 to Owatonna and back with cruise set at 70mph. 122miles took 2.35 gallons! (Same pump) That's 52MPG! I'd say the previous owner broke it in right!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Right on the money Nick!

Farmboy hooked me up with his VAG-Com. Thanks Farmboy!:D

Error 575 Intake Manifold Pressure
17-10 Control Difference - Intermittent.

I was able to cross reference that one to the N75. Whats the best place to pick one up from?

It is also throwing a 750 error Warning lamp
31-10 Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent:confused:

Now I need to play with this software a little to figure it all out!
Go through the A3/B4 low power guide - don't just go out and buy a boost controller.

The 750 error is probably just a buld burned out (or missing). When you turn the key on, make sure everything lights up, most important is your check engine light.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
"Leather seating surfaces" means that the tops of the seat cushions (and, sometimes, the head restraint) are genuine leather, but the stuff you don't typically touch (like the front of the seat, back, etc.) are "leatherette" or vinyl.
Yup, real leather on those seats which is confirmed by the wood trim on the dash and door handles.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Go through the A3/B4 low power guide - don't just go out and buy a boost controller.

The 750 error is probably just a buld burned out (or missing). When you turn the key on, make sure everything lights up, most important is your check engine light.
Guess I should double check... I have been through everything except checking the wastegate. Time for an oil change this weekend, I'll check it then.
The 750 error was the CEL burnt out. I never noticed it was not on...
OK if I hang on to your laptop for a while longer Farmboy?

BrEwCrEwTDI

TDI
na
New here, just bought first TDI, 2010 Jetta sedan, 300 miles in the books, nice to see a local thread, I'm currently in Grand Forks, ND.

-Matt

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Anyone want my stock down pipe? The hanger broke at some time so the restrictive braid on the flexible part is pulled out. The flex joint is fine as it did not fail, This is free to any one who wants it.

I will hang onto it for 3 weeks and then I will cut it up for scrap.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Looks like my N75 is toast! The nipple on the bottom that connects to the black hose was snapped off. I tried to glue it... no joy there. I went ahead and connect a pressure gauge. Over 20 PSIG on the red line when I would punch it in 3rd. No pressure at all on the blue hose.
I did pump up the wastegate with a tire pump. It moves about an inch... is that all it moves?
Changed the oil, found a little oil drip that I fixed... reprogrammed my EGR to help keep my intake clean...
Now to wait on the new N75.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Did Andy give you a deal after you bought a bunch of clutches for the dodge? I hear being a repeat buy doesn't count when you cross into the import side...
If memory serves, I bought my first South Bend clutch from Rip Rook, the second direct from SB & my TDI clutch from KERMA.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
October 2nd, Jag's Diesel is putting on dyno event at S&S performance in Crystal Mn. 3 pulls for $75.

It's mostly Diesel trucks, however don't let that stop anyone from bringing a TDI. I'll have mine there for it's first dyno and possibly my truck if I get the parts I've been waiting on "for ever".

As far as running a FWD car on the dynojet, I have no idea how that will work with this shop, I've never been there. I've asked a few questions and yet to get a response.

http://www.midwestdieselconnection.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4195&page=3

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
There you go Jeff!

Seriously, do you know if others are allowed to attend even though they aren't dynoing their vehicle? If there is enough of a tdi showing, I'd like to show up and maybe help out with logs.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It's been my experience that anyone is allowed to attend.

And sometimes, if not enough people are signed up in advance, they let just anyone with the money have a few pulls.

Watching a few heavily-modded diesel pickups doing dyno pulls can be fun. And a few heavily-modded TDIs can add a bit of extra interest.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Anyone is welcome! www.midwestdieselconnection.com... Mean's anything without sparkplugs ;-) This site was started mostly for the truck group to have something more local then the national forums but by no means is signaling out other vehicles.

It's first come first serve, no pre-signup for the dyno.

However, at hi-tech, it's been typical in the past to run all dodges, then fords, then chevies due to the optical pickup for the tach. Just a time savor having it pre-adjusted for each make in small groups. I do not know how torque will be graphed at this shop for the trucks, and even less of a clue for my car. I'll make an effort to figure this out ASAP

The Truck folks will appreciate the TDI group!

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you know where to find a 7 hole steel wheel. Mine lost a battle with a curb.
Thanks!