Very, very confused offered buy back

opsx

TDI
tdi
1. the car never had a fix.
2. i bought it from a used car dealer. the owner drove it personally for a few years
3. I have the potential of making 12,000 who in their right mind wouldn't sell it back

i just want to know one thing: where did you find that thing? they usually get snapped up in a heartbeat. was this a corner used car dealership that doesnt post its inventory on the internet or something? lol. anyway, congrats.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
1. the car never had a fix.
2. i bought it from a used car dealer. the owner drove it personally for a few years
3. I have the potential of making 12,000 who in their right mind wouldn't sell it back

Wow, you got a great deal on a used car and then you found $12,000 in the trunk. Good for you, that makes me very jealous. But I like that you bought the car to fix up and drive and then scored a great deal. That is cool.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Today is the big day. cleaned it out last night. took off my 5 spoke goal silver wheels and threw on the generic audi wheels that came with it. also kept the floor mats, and some other misc. stuff. just got back from a vacation. findlay ohio to treasure island florida. then from there to gatlinberg tennesse then back home. 2870 miles of non stop travel. im kind of sad to see it go. the offer is too good to not sell it back though.

zoomdiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta, 2012 Wagon
Chiroman is incorrect. You're good and eligible for buyback as long as it has a clear title and was OPERABLE in mid 2016. Methods of proving that varies, but they probably won't ask you to as long as it's operable now.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Had the money depostied within 48 hours or turning it in. I cannot believe they bought it back. I literally would have bought every single non-fixed one if I would have known.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Had the money depostied within 48 hours or turning it in. I cannot believe they bought it back. I literally would have bought every single non-fixed one if I would have known.
...thats what many of us did... lol

zrheard@bama.ua.edu

TDI
2004 Jetta
...thats what many of us did... lol
I don't understand why VW would let vehicles be sold for less than what they were going to be on the hook for. Were they trying to find and buy them outside the buy back program, could they not? Were people selling them cheap just because they were unaware of the program?

I hadn't seen a TDI listed in for ever, then all the sudden I saw them everywhere.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I don't understand why VW would let vehicles be sold for less than what they were going to be on the hook for. Were they trying to find and buy them outside the buy back program, could they not? Were people selling them cheap just because they were unaware of the program?
I hadn't seen a TDI listed in for ever, then all the sudden I saw them everywhere.
Point one. They are selling them for less than what they are on the hook for because they are hoping to recover their losses. They were REQUIRED to buy them back if that’s what the customer requested. At that point Vw had two options eat 100% of the loss or try to recover maybe 60% of that loss. There’s no way the public would pay the dollars that Vw had into them. After the scandal the public perception of Vw and diesels was tarnished. So being able to recover 60% of the loss was better than recovering 0%. Wouldn’t you say?

Point two. Could Vw buy them back outside of the buyback program? Is that what you are asking? If so, no. They have to be able to prove to CARB and the EPA that they fixed or bought back (then fixed or crushed) 85% of the “clean” diesels sold. Anything outside of the program wouldn’t be traceable effectively lowering their percentage rate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd be more amazed that VW did higher some third party shell company to comb over all these Indy shops and buy up any eligible cars at what the indy shops were asking. The third party would then get a small cut for every car was bough under the "estimated buy back price" but still go trough the formal buy back process (sure its prob fraudish, but heck its also capitalistic too). A team of a dozen workers could have covered all Indy shops in a few months and VW could have saved quite a bit of coin.

Instead entrepreneurial citizens did the exact same thing and made serious bank.

zrheard@bama.ua.edu

TDI
2004 Jetta
Point one. They are selling them for less than what they are on the hook for because they are hoping to recover their losses. They were REQUIRED to buy them back if that’s what the customer requested. At that point Vw had two options eat 100% of the loss or try to recover maybe 60% of that loss. There’s no way the public would pay the dollars that Vw had into them. After the scandal the public perception of Vw and diesels was tarnished. So being able to recover 60% of the loss was better than recovering 0%. Wouldn’t you say?
Point two. Could Vw buy them back outside of the buyback program? Is that what you are asking? If so, no. They have to be able to prove to CARB and the EPA that they fixed or bought back (then fixed or crushed) 85% of the “clean” diesels sold. Anything outside of the program wouldn’t be traceable effectively lowering their percentage rate.
I understand they are in loss recovery.

If VW had found OPs car forsale for 3500 could they have purchased it from that dealer and avoided the buy back price? Or were they required to only buy at that price?

If VW was required to pay that amount why were people letting them go for less?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I'd be more amazed that VW did higher some third party shell company to comb over all these Indy shops and buy up any eligible cars at what the indy shops were asking. The third party would then get a small cut for every car was bough under the "estimated buy back price" but still go trough the formal buy back process (sure its prob fraudish, but heck its also capitalistic too). A team of a dozen workers could have covered all Indy shops in a few months and VW could have saved quite a bit of coin.

Instead entrepreneurial citizens did the exact same thing and made serious bank.
Absolutely not because I and 3 other dealers purchased every single eligible TDI at every wholesale auction in this country for the last 2 years. And none of us are VW shell companies.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Absolutely not because I and 3 other dealers purchased every single eligible TDI at every wholesale auction in this country for the last 2 years. And none of us are VW shell companies.
I bag to differ. My buddy is a used car dealer. He bought 3 outta detroit auction 2 weeks before the deadline. I myself did some very minor checking around and found at least 5 within 200 miles.

I bought this car from a used (semi/car) dealer. He said VW tried to buy it back but low balled him. And also it was in the dealerships name not his which they wouldnt accept.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I bag to differ. My buddy is a used car dealer. He bought 3 outta detroit auction 2 weeks before the deadline. I myself did some very minor checking around and found at least 5 within 200 miles.
I bought this car from a used (semi/car) dealer. He said VW tried to buy it back but low balled him. And also it was in the dealerships name not his which they wouldnt accept.
Did your friend successfully get offer letters or complete buybacks for the 3 cars he purchased 2 weeks before the deadline? Current turn around time is just a few weeks so he should have gotten an answer by now.

What you are saying about lowball is completely not true... VW Corporate doesnt try to do anything. People often confuse VW Group of America who are in charge of the buyback and VW dealerships who have nothing to do with it. VW dealer most definitely lowballed him. Having title in dealership is actually correct way of doing it and thats how I do every single claim and I have done a LOT.

Anyway, no point in arguing here with you. As someone who has been buying them from every source possible for almost 2 years, I am confident in my information.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ahh i swear i've seen that car on the lot way longer than that, oh well.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I myself did some very minor checking around and found at least 5 within 200 miles.
VaporWare.

For two years you could search and turn up tons of TDIs. Actually being able to buy one and turn it in was much harder.