3.0 TDI gen 2 PC group post-fix impressions

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
That's their standard answer (you are the first one to complain). I even pointed them to this forum and others online. Clearly you (or I) are not the first one to see the results and complain.
As I have pushed more with the local dealer and Audi, it is clear that what they (and their lawyers) are counting is that no angry customer can actually prove their MPG before the "fix". This is not speculation, it is what they came back with when I pushed them. "how are you going to prove what MPG you were getting before the fix?" Unless enough irate customers make a lot of noise, they are just going to pretend the problem and their deceptive statements many of us based our decisions on don't exist.
I’m not saying you or anyone else is fabricating or exaggerating, but a lot of other owners are reporting little or no change. My mpg’s since fix are down around half a mpg. (16 fills before, 12 after.) But I have an ideal situation, since I live on rural roads. Yes, the vehicle shifts higher during warm up. An owner who drives local errands in a city could make 6 different stops without ever getting the vehicle warm enough to the new standards. That would affect mpg’s much more. YMMV.

I don’t, myself, believe that serious problems are widespread, because there have been about 50K of these fixes performed so far. The numbers of complaints I have seen online is about what I would expect based on an service error rate well below 1% and, of course, human nature often not taking kindly to any kind of change. I believe if the problems were widespread, there would be a tsunami of outrage going on.

If you feel your car has been neutered, ruined, whatever, and Audi and your dealer are not satisfactorily responding, contact the class attorneys. They are the ones who would be able to force a response, moreso if there is a widespread problem we are not aware of.

Again, I’m sorry for anyone who is having issues. Many others are, thankfully, doing fine, and enjoying the dollars as well as satisfaction that the car not polluting so much anymore.

gkstar

TDI
Q5
I’m not saying you or anyone else is fabricating or exaggerating, but a lot of other owners are reporting little or no change. My mpg’s since fix are down around half a mpg. (16 fills before, 12 after.) But I have an ideal situation, since I live on rural roads.
Not only that, you live in warmer climate. Their claim will not hold for an average Canadian drive - to be sure, even if you average over the entire year.

A lot of owners will have hard time spelling what RPM means and they would not care as much as others as to where gears shift. It does not mean that the issues do not exist. The only variables in my mind are climate/season and driving pattern.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Not only that, you live in warmer climate. Their claim will not hold for an average Canadian drive - to be sure, even if you average over the entire year.
A lot of owners will have hard time spelling what RPM means and they would not care as much as others as to where gears shift. It does not mean that the issues do not exist. The only variables in my mind are climate/season and driving pattern.
Agree. Each car is in a different use case. The EPA certification test is the one that the “reduction of 1 mpg” is based upon. It is not a guarantee of result for any owner.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am turning in my 2012 TDI for a "new" 2016 TDI next week. I have driven the car on side roads and high speed highways and don't see or feel anything different from my 2012. I didn't have a chance or think to see what gear it was in going 70,but it didn't sound or feel different. I use Cetane boost in my 2012 all the time and will continue with the new car. I also have started to use Lucas lubricant which has a calming effect to diesel chatter. I will report back as I do some driving with the new 2016.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
2014 Q5 post fix post fix

I was told the issue is a NOX sensor that is being ordered and hopefully available later this week.

NOX sensor was replaced this past Tuesday. Had to wait a week for delivery out of Canada. Steady Engine light returned Wednesday morning.

Back to the dealership. Yippee.

And regarding mileage and logs. I have the life of my vehicle logged in Fuelly and have seen my average mileage drop 2-3 mpg.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
Sensor replaced again

Sensor replaced Tuesday was replaced again today. Fingers crossed.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
I am curious, what did you think the money you got was for?
Partially for the decrease of stated ONE mpg decrease. Not the 2-3 I’m seeing.

Partially for willingly misrepresenting the vehicle as clean diesel.

Partially for US tax fraud, for participating in personal tax rebates in not only Federal but numerous states.

—————-

I’m curious; what do YOU think that partial payment was for?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Partially for the decrease of stated ONE mpg decrease. Not the 2-3 I’m seeing.

Partially for willingly misrepresenting the vehicle as clean diesel.

Partially for US tax fraud, for participating in personal tax rebates in not only Federal but numerous states.

—————-

I’m curious; what do YOU think that partial payment was for?

I’ve seen about a half a mpg decrease, for what it’s worth. But “Your Mileage May Vary” is always the case. A decrease of less than 1mpg was derived under an EPA test protocol. Did you think that was a guarantee for all cars under all drivers? A person could do nothing but drive a mile here, two miles there, five miles somewhere else. The engine will never warm up. Their mpg is gonna be hurt badly vs. pre-fix. It sounds like yours is not so bad. How many tanks of $4 extra can you afford with $9000? Plus a warranty covering major systems until 2023 or 2024. It’s sounds to me like you are doing pretty well out of the deal, with plenty of extra dollars to compensate you for your outrage at VW.

For the record, I’m pissed at them, too. But it was naive for anyone to think that they would notice no difference in the cars. That’s why you had the option to decline the settlement.

You should probably get a tune. Then you’d be spending all your time noticing how much better the car functions not how much worse. And you’d still have lots of money left over.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
I’ve seen about a half a mpg decrease, for what it’s worth. But “Your Mileage May Vary” is always the case. A decrease of less than 1mpg was derived under an EPA test protocol. Did you think that was a guarantee for all cars under all drivers? A person could do nothing but drive a mile here, two miles there, five miles somewhere else. The engine will never warm up. Their mpg is gonna be hurt badly vs. pre-fix. It sounds like yours is not so bad. How many tanks of $4 extra can you afford with $9000? Plus a warranty covering major systems until 2023 or 2024. It’s sounds to me like you are doing pretty well out of the deal, with plenty of extra dollars to compensate you for your outrage at VW.

For the record, I’m pissed at them, too. But it was naive for anyone to think that they would notice no difference in the cars. That’s why you had the option to decline the settlement.

You should probably get a tune. Then you’d be spending all your time noticing how much better the car functions not how much worse. And you’d still have lots of money left over.
So since I’ve logged my mileage since receiving it in 2014 which includes 100,000 miles plus; I should accept Audi’s claim of loss of 1 MPG when my stats prove a loss of 2-3 mpg? The settlement I signed up for was assumping 1 mpg loss. That I’ve been at the Audi dealership 4 times in last month and anticipate more?

Out of curiosity, how many settlements have you gone thru? More than one? Did you jump on the clean diesel bandwagon to find out Audi was misrepresentating their brand? As a US taxpayers are you happy of the tax breaks given erroneously at the federal and state level?

So where exactly should I cut Audi slack in lying to me?

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
So since I’ve logged my mileage since receiving it in 2014 which includes 100,000 miles plus; I should accept Audi’s claim of loss of 1 MPG when my stats prove a loss of 2-3 mpg? The settlement I signed up for was assumping 1 mpg loss. That I’ve been at the Audi dealership 4 times in last month and anticipate more?
Out of curiosity, how many settlements have you gone thru? More than one? Did you jump on the clean diesel bandwagon to find out Audi was misrepresentating their brand? As a US taxpayers are you happy of the tax breaks given erroneously at the federal and state level?
Your record keeping has no value in court...only the original certification that matters. Thus the loss of mpg is per original window sticker.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Confused as to how everyone is checking fuel consumption, details appreciated.

Miles driven since last fueling, divided by gallons needed to fill tank. Click my banner below for more info.

TDI
tdi less
ok so far, tnks-'back in the day' we filled to a visual level in the neck with the button/lever depressed/pushed; is this also how you are verifying fuel consumption?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
ok so far, tnks-'back in the day' we filled to a visual level in the neck with the button/lever depressed/pushed; is this also how you are verifying fuel consumption?

Right. Accuracy enhanced by care to fill to the same level each time.

TDI
tdi less
Thank you-BUT do you, on occasion, put the cap back on-rock the vehicle a bit in the hope of finally seeing/hearing the elusive and dreaded, pocket of air???;)

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
2nd fill up post fix yielded 38mpg hand totaled. 70% highway 30% city.

Does anyone know if there is a TCM tune out there that will adjust the shift points? The holding of the gears gets boring real quick.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2nd fill up post fix yielded 38mpg hand totaled. 70% highway 30% city.

Does anyone know if there is a TCM tune out there that will adjust the shift points? The holding of the gears gets boring real quick.

There has been a lot of speculation. Some have claimed they can clone the TCM coding from a vehicle not yet fixed. Others have looked into purchasing an unaltered TCM from the Euro market. Someone with a Touareg was successful with the second strategy. To the best of my knowledge, no one with an Audi has reported back that they have restored their TCM to unfixed.

Update: I just checked at the Club Touareg site and someone there is cloning TCM’s on the Aisin transmission used in the Touareg and the older Q7.

Last edited:

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
There has been a lot of speculation. Some have claimed they can clone the TCM coding from a vehicle not yet fixed. Others have looked into purchasing an unaltered TCM from the Euro market. Someone with a Touareg was successful with the second strategy. To the best of my knowledge, no one with an Audi has reported back that they have restored their TCM to unfixed.

Update: I just checked at the Club Touareg site and someone there is cloning TCM’s on the Aisin transmission used in the Touareg and the older Q7.
Thanks for posting Mythdoc, my A7 has the ZF transmission, i might be out of luck.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Just got the fix done on my Q5. I did some mixed highway and back road driving. I have no complaints about how it drives. No loss of power/performance. I'm pleased that it still gets well above EPA rated mpgs, although the effect on mpgs will take some time to evaluate. I do notice the longer period of holding at higher rpm, but it eventually does go back to lower rpm when fully warmed. I imagine this will be more of an issue in colder weather.For now, looking forward to the compensation$.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG

That would be me on CT ;)

I am tuning the Aisin TCM's to a state that is like the old shifting before the fix.
I also make it as stealth as possible so without some serious digging into the module it appears to the dealers that it is nothing more than a stock TCM with the latest fix software on it.

I am currently doing a loaner program for the Toaureg's and Q7's (up to 2014 that still have the Aisin trans).

For cars with the ZF trans Malone and I are in the process of partnering up so that any of their dealers can flash one of my ZF tunes to the ZF TCM to achieve the same thing.

Feel free to contact me via PM on here or CT for more details.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be me on CT ;)

I am tuning the Aisin TCM's to a state that is like the old shifting before the fix.

I also make it as stealth as possible so without some serious digging into the module it appears to the dealers that it is nothing more than a stock TCM with the latest fix software on it.

I am currently doing a loaner program for the Toaureg's and Q7's (up to 2014 that still have the Aisin trans).

For cars with the ZF trans Malone and I are in the process of partnering up so that any of their dealers can flash one of my ZF tunes to the ZF TCM to achieve the same thing.

Feel free to contact me via PM on here or CT for more details.

I recommend you start a new thread here. Or maybe I missed it somewhere on the site.

bbob

TDI
2015 Audi Q5
Yeah, you should really be thankful to Audi. They really did everybody a favor, don't you get it? How dare do you expect that they would be truthful about what the "fix" would do to your car when trying to make up for lying to everybody about the engine's characteristics to begin with? You got a check, so that should make up for everything. OK?

Burnt

TDI
A7
Anyone trending their engine oil temps after the fix? In my Audi A7 lap timer screen, when my car has been running for about 10 mins, oil temp doesn't seem to drop under 200F outside temps about 70F. I remember before the fix, it would hover 190F.

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
FYI - I had my 2014 Q5 TDI "fixed" on March 19th. In July the lambda oxygen sensor threw a code. Reset then and reoccured last week. Took in and it was replaced.

TDIgdub

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line Sport
Hi, I am definitely interested to hear more about the TCM flash. I had the fic in January 2018 and subsequently added a Malone Stage 1 tune. The tuner is awesome but the trans is not up to par. Is Malone working on a TCM upgrade?

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Hi, I am definitely interested to hear more about the TCM flash. I had the fic in January 2018 and subsequently added a Malone Stage 1 tune. The tuner is awesome but the trans is not up to par. Is Malone working on a TCM upgrade?
I am currently working with Malone to get them up and running, but we aren't quite there yet.

You can find tons of info here in the last couple pages of this thread:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/...-fix-people-please-step-inside-280754-26.html