Particulate Filter replacement $$

tarheeltdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
DPF Failure

Hi guys, new to the forum, but have owned my '10 Sportwagen since new. I have 83k on the clock and was just told by my dealer that I need a new dpf (CEL popped on). They did get VW to pick up the tab for $1500 in parts that were quoted, but I'm stuck with labor + alignment. , which will probably be around $600. I will say that the dealer has been the only one to touch my car from day one and so far have done a great job. I'm starting to become a bit worried at this point after hearing some of the stories here though. Wondering how long it's going to be feasible to drive it before trading. Love the car, but some repairs/parts are breathtaking!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What is the code for the cel? You need to determine "why" the dpf needs replacing. Putting another in could just allow another failure if there is an underlying issue not resolved yet. Other things can fail and cause the dpf to fault. They should last much longer than this under normal circumstances. You should also probably start your own thread.

tarheeltdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Glad you brought that up Lightflyer1, I was only told that the filter was past its ash load limit, but no particulars. Service manager only said that they couldn't tell why, just "one of those things".

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get the code from the dealer or have it scanned by someone else with VCDS. Post that up here when you do. The dealer should be able to provide it though.

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
I do not think it is an early '10. I guess this is just the way it is then. Why is the redesigned system falling apart prematurely I wonder?
It was an early 2010. VW America in the end did help with the repair (50% of total cost).

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
I'm not sure that wash does anything for cleaning out the ash, just the soot.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
That was my understanding as well from a thread a while back -- not effective on ash that's 'coked up' in your DPF filter, only soot, which is what your regens are for anyway, so I'm not sure what this product really does. The only option is replacement, or a cleaning that involves removing the DPF, cutting it open, cleaning the filter (not sure if it's chemical, temperature, or both), re-welding, and re-installing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Apparently you can remove it and wash it out.

http://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-dpf-cleaning-tool-kit-p-5053.html

I have also heard of cutting it open, washing it out, re-weld, service for cheaper than new.
So one more time, where have you heard of someone cutting into a DPF, then getting it to work properly?

The folks who will clean and warranty the work (for $400 or so plus shipping and mechanics fees) clean with the unit intact.

Vendors who will clean dpf filters with attached cats include www.fsxinc.com and http://www.dpfregeneration.com these folks make sure the ash and soot are disposed of safely.

( I copied the last line from myturbodiesel.com, but I put it there in the first place)

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
So one more time, where have you heard of someone cutting into a DPF, then getting it to work properly?

( I copied the last line from myturbodiesel.com, but I put it there in the first place)

I saw a video.. I think it was on my turbodiesel where someone down under cut it open, broke it in the process (cracked it) pressure washed it, dried it in the oven and put it back together... I don't see how it would work, best case it would function but clog the EGR filter with the crack...

Rumors and urban legends.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Opening the DPF without proper tools and a lot of care will likely destroy it. I don't think that it would be successful in your backyard or driveway. Let alone the fact that you have all the nasty crap that come out of the DPF that'll end up down the storm drain :eek:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I dunno, I think it's basically 'dirt'.....carbon mostly....and fairly inert. Not that I advocate dumping any waste material in storm drains, but I think it's not going to get the EPA on your buttocks. Greenpeace or the Sierra Club, yes. Just out of principle.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I saw a video.. I think it was on my turbodiesel where someone down under cut it open, broke it in the process (cracked it) pressure washed it, dried it in the oven and put it back together... I don't see how it would work, best case it would function but clog the EGR filter with the crack...

Rumors and urban legends.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/mkv-dpf-washout-and-rebuild.17842/

he never followed up from these posts, and no one has shared that they tried anything similar here.

his DPF is not like the ones in our cars, no DOC cat before it. he also states he was running with a full race tune, and was looking for some kind of aftermarket sports DPF to use with his car.. he may have not even had a low pressure EGR or filter in the car.

when I spoke with the owner of the dpf cleaning service, she shared that the chemical company she used to pay to dispose of the ash, now pays her. I translate this into, that stuff is not what you want blowing around your back yard.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Whatever chemical they are using to clean the dpf is probably a much bigger hazard than the ash itself. Think of all the coal ash in this country. Now that is a real and considerable concern.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The companies I linked to do not use chemical agents. instead they use heat, and moving air. they have good filters to catch what is removed from the filters, and sell the captured ash to a chemical company that properly recovers usable material and safely disposes or recycles the rest.

there are other folks here and there who use fluids to clean, (have found posts from folks who use oven cleaner or brake cleaning fluid) effectiveness of these methods and proper disposal of those residues would be of concern

agree 100% that piles of coal ash accumulated by irresponsible utilities are disasters waiting to happen.
http://www2.epa.gov/coalash/frequent-questions-about-coal-ash-disposal-rule

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
What about Liqui Moly ?

There is a YouTube video on LiquiMoly DPF cleaner my mechanic found online for $380 anybody ever heard about it or it's results ?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If you really think about what is going into your engine and then getting burned, would you really want that crap laying in your backyard? Add in the precious metals that are used in the cats and dpf to help them do their job. As far as cutting it open and welding it back together, I'm not sure how you would make sure that your weld didn't screw up the designed airflow through the dpf.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The companies I linked to do not use chemical agents. instead they use heat, and moving air. they have good filters to catch what is removed from the filters, and sell the captured ash to a chemical company that properly recovers usable material and safely disposes or recycles the rest.

there are other folks here and there who use fluids to clean, (have found posts from folks who use oven cleaner or brake cleaning fluid) effectiveness of these methods and proper disposal of those residues would be of concern

agree 100% that piles of coal ash accumulated by irresponsible utilities are disasters waiting to happen.
http://www2.epa.gov/coalash/frequent-questions-about-coal-ash-disposal-rule
Haven't you heard... That is Clean Coal Ash!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a YouTube video on LiquiMoly DPF cleaner my mechanic found online for $380 anybody ever heard about it or it's results ?
Discussed a couple places.

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly...49A/$file/TI_Pro-Line_DPF_Reiniger_EN.pdf.pdf

the product moves around the soot, gets it closer to the DPF surface, where it will then be converted to gasses, except for the ash which remains.

focused on folks who do not drive long enough, and let the DPF clog up.

depending on the state of the car, could take some manipulation to get a regen going after doing the "cleaning".

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I dunno, I think it's basically 'dirt'.....carbon mostly....and fairly inert. Not that I advocate dumping any waste material in storm drains, but I think it's not going to get the EPA on your buttocks. Greenpeace or the Sierra Club, yes. Just out of principle.

Dpf ash is only 15-20% carbon. The majority is metal oxides, sulfates and phosphates. I don't know anyone who doesn't handle the stuff as hazmat. I think the epa would ride anyone dumping this stuff as well as Slim Pickens rode the A-Bomb.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Metal oxides , phosphates, and sulfates; sounds like a bag of fertilizer. It makes a big difference which metals, sulphates and phosphates. For instance iron oxide, no problem. Mercury oxide, probably not so good.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Discussed a couple places.

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly...49A/$file/TI_Pro-Line_DPF_Reiniger_EN.pdf.pdf

the product moves around the soot, gets it closer to the DPF surface, where it will then be converted to gasses, except for the ash which remains.

focused on folks who do not drive long enough, and let the DPF clog up.

depending on the state of the car, could take some manipulation to get a regen going after doing the "cleaning".
Heard today that the amount of mass inside that DPF can with the stone-like ceramic structures if stretched out would cover about 5 football fields.

That Liqui Moly looked too good to be true, when I asked a mechanic about it he said it could turn into glue once inside the DPF not sure about so I won't use it.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Just as an update, parts, labor-all in got a quote for $2,400 on this today:(-
Thanks for the info. My DPF is close to the ash loading limit. I've seen $2200 and $2400 mentioned on this forum over the last year or so. I was wondering if those prices were still current, or if they'd come down at all. Unless VW offers a buyback, my $1000 of Visa cards may go towards a new DPF and associated bits.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the info. My DPF is close to the ash loading limit. I've seen $2200 and $2400 mentioned on this forum over the last year or so. I was wondering if those prices were still current, or if they'd come down at all. Unless VW offers a buyback, my $1000 of Visa cards may go towards a new DPF and associated bits.

which limit is this?

folks have seen high ash levels before an error from DPF ash loading.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4761914&postcount=16

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4811559&postcount=22