IP Leaking...What are most common spots

81dzlcaddy

TDI
caddy idi 1.6
Wife's 98 Jetta has a leak on the injection pump. I expect out of the top and middle seals. I am use to rabbit diesels that have a tendency to leak from the shaft seal at the front and the rear seal towards where the injector lines come out. Symptoms are strong raw diesel smell when running ac or heater and also when returning home from running under the hood. Fuel lines are replaced, tight, and have been checked multiple times. No real diesel spots on the drive way. I guess i am trying to see where these pumps are most notorious for leaking. It has 203k on it and starts quickly and gets 46 per mile which makes me believe its not the front seal (pulley side) and not rear seal.

Getting ready to put in a new clutch and rear main. Just seeing if i should remove the injection pump to reseal or if enough of you think the top is sufficient enough. She is a teacher and teaching season is almost upon us so i have to get it done soon lol.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You’re not seeing wetness on hoses, etc? Return jumpers good?

Like you mentioned, I’d guess the top or QA seal, since it’s not losing prime. These pumps are a piece of cake, compared to the idi pumps.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
just to point out, and as todd points out, check the injector over-flow lines, and return lines. when i smell diesel strong under hood for me its been the injector return/over-flow lines. get a new length, and an end cap while your at it. try that.
do you still have a clear inlet line, check that for bubbles. i think the return 't' on the fuel filter takes an oring, easy to replace, and not uncommon.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
so you are not actually seeing diesel leaking out of somewhere? just the smell? or am I reading this wrong?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The most common place on an older pump is the injector head seal (large o-ring), the next most common are the Altitude compensator / governor housing seals (middle and top) and lastly, the shaft seal.

If you smell diesel, clean everything off with brake cleaner and compressed air, then run the car and look for the source of the leak.

If you suspect the shaft seal, remove the top timing belt cover and have a look for wetness. A strong light and an inspection mirror should show you all you need.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s the advance solenoid. I’ve personally never seen that one leak.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, technically I saw the pics second party, so I’ve still never personally seen that one leak!

-Todd

81dzlcaddy

TDI
caddy idi 1.6
thanks for all the help yes it was the qa. car sat for a month until i could get to a clutch and after posting this i finally started it up to pull it in to the garage and it was leaking pretty good from the qa seal