N108 valve plug

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Anyone have any tips to get the plug unbolted from the cold start valve under the IP? Looks like there might just be a bracket on the side with 3 bolts and one bolt holding the plug in? Just wanna make sure before I start pulling it apart that it won't affect anything else. Found my short, looks like it rubbed through the wiring shield on the alternator bracket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Just unbolt it and take note which bolt goes where. You’ll be fine.

I’m guessing you had a timing issue....?

-Todd

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Just unbolt it and take note which bolt goes where. You’ll be fine.

I’m guessing you had a timing issue....?

-Todd
Those bolts suck to get to. Hah.

Rubbed through the wiring harness so I'm getting a p1252 code that's the cold start injector ground or short code. So I need to repair the wiring or replace the plug. Got a new plug on the way just in case I fubar something.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any reason you couldn’t just splice it back together? I’d think there’d be enough slack, without ordering a new plug and repair wires.

-Todd

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Any reason you couldn’t just splice it back together? I’d think there’d be enough slack, without ordering a new plug and repair wires.

-Todd
Negative. I ended up busting the solenoid using a little too much force anyway and there's barely enough room to splice in even if I hadn't broken it.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yikes.... were you prying on that? I’m thinking you’ll need an entire new solenoid.

They can be tough to get out. After pulling the 2 torx screws, I usually catch an edge of the flange with a flat blade screwdriver and tap it out.

-Todd

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Yikes.... were you prying on that? I’m thinking you’ll need an entire new solenoid.

They can be tough to get out. After pulling the 2 torx screws, I usually catch an edge of the flange with a flat blade screwdriver and tap it out.

-Todd
Yep. Like a moron. Got the solenoid on order. Found a place 130 bucks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh well, we all make mistakes.... live and learn.

It’s just an o-ring inside that slips over the end. If you don’t have a reseal kit, just reuse the original. I’ve never seen one that leaked, but I’ve always replaced them, since I had the kit.

-Todd

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Oh well, we all make mistakes.... live and learn.

It’s just an o-ring inside that slips over the end. If you don’t have a reseal kit, just reuse the original. I’ve never seen one that leaked, but I’ve always replaced them, since I had the kit.

-Todd
Yeah haven't made a mistake like that since I dropped the axle on my 4runner and ripped my abs wires. Worked out there since it disabled all the damned nannies that I was planning a switch for anyway. Haha. Rookie mistake, I was just getting in a hurry. Tired of this car being down.

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
Anyone got a part number for the 2 bolts that hold the valve in the IP? Finally got around to handling this only to find I misplaced the one bolt I had already gotten out.