Buying not-CPO 2015 Jetta TDI from from a non-VW dealer

Kavm

TDI
Buying one
I am seriously looking to purchase a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL with low mileage. This is a remote internet buying situation. The vehicle is not CPO. I am wondering whether the extended emissions warranty will apply to this vehicle. The ad is silent on that.

A related question - any particular areas that I should look into from the inspection or questions standpoint. The vehicle has less than 5K total miles on it.

Thank you very much!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If the fix has been applied, the extended warranty applies.

If the fix has already been applied then the date that it took effect was the date that the fix was applied, which might be some time in the past.

Kavm

TDI
Buying one
Thank you! I checked the vin on VWdieselinfo.com. It lists ‘Modification complete status’ as Partial. Not sure what that means. It does say that the vehicle has the extended emossions warranty.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
phase 1 was probably applied but not phase 2, but also the website is more geared towards payment than phase fixes.

Any VW dealer can run the VIN to see if there is any open recalls. Phase 2 is primarily a recall more than monetary compensation.

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
Check to see if previous owner had a tuner in it. I bought a car in a very similar situation and didn’t find out the warranty was void until I brought the car into the dealer for a warranty repair. Ask a dealer to look up the VIN to see if it has a TD1 flag in their system. I found this out the hard way on mine. Look up my thread on this.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Check to see if previous owner had a tuner in it. I bought a car in a very similar situation and didn’t find out the warranty was void until I brought the car into the dealer for a warranty repair. Ask a dealer to look up the VIN to see if it has a TD1 flag in their system. I found this out the hard way on mine. Look up my thread on this.
You are the first person I've seen on this forum to report that at VW dealer detected a tune on your vehicle and, as a result, voided your extended emissions warranty. Was the tune purely a reflash? Or was there some hardware deletes included as well? I can see a dealer detected hardware deletes, but I've never heard of a dealer detecting a tune reflash and voiding the warranty as a result. Lot's of people fear this could happen so they don't get tunes while in warranty, but in this forum, never heard a dealer finding a voiding a warranty involving a simple reflash tune.

Please advise.

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
You are the first person I've seen on this forum to report that at VW dealer detected a tune on your vehicle and, as a result, voided your extended emissions warranty. Was the tune purely a reflash? Or was there some hardware deletes included as well? I can see a dealer detected hardware deletes, but I've never heard of a dealer detecting a tune reflash and voiding the warranty as a result. Lot's of people fear this could happen so they don't get tunes while in warranty, but in this forum, never heard a dealer finding a voiding a warranty involving a simple reflash tune.

Please advise.
Just search and look for my thread and you will see everything in there. This is how the timeline went:

Previous owner (PO) buys the car brand new.
PO Puts a tune in the vehicle.
PO submits claim and has the emission repairs done and has the new Audi emission tune in place and the tuning is not touched from this point on.
PO sells car.
This is when I bought the car with what I thought was the new warranty extension. Come to find out that the other owner putting a tune on the vehicle before the emission modification by Audi still voids the new warranty.

Trust me, go read my thread. Everything is in there.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are threads here on this. VW will probably be more vigilant now than before. If the warranty is important to you leave the car alone.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just search and look for my thread and you will see everything in there. This is how the timeline went:

Previous owner (PO) buys the car brand new.
PO Puts a tune in the vehicle.
PO submits claim and has the emission repairs done and has the new Audi emission tune in place and the tuning is not touched from this point on.
PO sells car.
This is when I bought the car with what I thought was the new warranty extension. Come to find out that the other owner putting a tune on the vehicle before the emission modification by Audi still voids the new warranty.

Trust me, go read my thread. Everything is in there.
I certainly trust you. VW/Audi has stated this very thing many times what the repercussions are on modifying power-train systems.

That said, VW/Audi have also said, before an emissions fix is made, if an owner modification is discovered, the emissions fix will not be made unless the owner corrects the modification and provides an unmodified vehicle in for the emissions fix. So the PO having a tune done before the emissions modification doesn't eliminate having the emissions modification completed, provided the PO reverses the tune and brings in an unmodified vehicle. The issue, I think, is that the PO did a tune "after" the emissions modification was performed, and this subsequent modification was later discovered after the emissions modification was made, which carries with it the risk of voiding the extended emissions warranty.

When was the tune done after the emissions modification discovered by VW/Audi? After you took ownership of it? Or was it discovered while still in possession of the PO? If the latter, and if you discussed with the PO if the car carried an extended emissions warranty (which the PO would have known was already voided), you purchased a vehicle from an unethical PO, unfortunately. Not sure there is much you can do on a private sale like that though.

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
I certainly trust you. VW/Audi has stated this very thing many times what the repercussions are on modifying power-train systems.

That said, VW/Audi have also said, before an emissions fix is made, if an owner modification is discovered, the emissions fix will not be made unless the owner corrects the modification and provides an unmodified vehicle in for the emissions fix. So the PO having a tune done before the emissions modification doesn't eliminate having the emissions modification completed, provided the PO reverses the tune and brings in an unmodified vehicle. The issue, I think, is that the PO did a tune "after" the emissions modification was performed, and this subsequent modification was later discovered after the emissions modification was made, which carries with it the risk of voiding the extended emissions warranty.

When was the tune done after the emissions modification discovered by VW/Audi? After you took ownership of it? Or was it discovered while still in possession of the PO? If the latter, and if you discussed with the PO if the car carried an extended emissions warranty (which the PO would have known was already voided), you purchased a vehicle from an unethical PO, unfortunately. Not sure there is much you can do on a private sale like that though.
I bought the car from a third party dealer, not from the PO directly nor from a VW/Audi dealer.

According to the service logs from the Audi dealer when I brought it in for warranty repair, there were only two "tuning event" in the ECU. The first one was right after vehicle was purchased new by the PO, and the second event was just before the emission fix by Audi. After the emission modification had been completed, the ECU was not touched again.

Audi claimed that the previous owners tuning still voided the new warranty and denied my claim. I fought them for three weeks while they had me in a brand new Q7 during this time but the dealer said that after Audi Germany makes their decision, there is not a whole lot more they could do.

Didnt have the time/money to get the lawyers involved and the wife needed a car to drive so we brought the car back to the selling dealer, they took it back and we moved on.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought the car from a third party dealer, not from the PO directly nor from a VW/Audi dealer.

According to the service logs from the Audi dealer when I brought it in for warranty repair, there were only two "tuning event" in the ECU. The first one was right after vehicle was purchased new by the PO, and the second event was just before the emission fix by Audi. After the emission modification had been completed, the ECU was not touched again.

Audi claimed that the previous owners tuning still voided the new warranty and denied my claim. I fought them for three weeks while they had me in a brand new Q7 during this time but the dealer said that after Audi Germany makes their decision, there is not a whole lot more they could do.

Didnt have the time/money to get the lawyers involved and the wife needed a car to drive so we brought the car back to the selling dealer, they took it back and we moved on.
This would have been a good one for the CRC. Because Audi did the emissions recall and nothing happened after that event, the extended emissions warranty should have been gone into effect. It may be true that any prior new car limited warranty or any original emissions warranty would have been voided, but VW/Audi can't take the car and perform an emissions repair without at the same time providing the extended emissions warranty to goes along with it (if no subsequent modifications were made to the car since the emissions fix).

oilburnin

TDI
Q7
This would have been a good one for the CRC. Because Audi did the emissions recall and nothing happened after that event, the extended emissions warranty should have been gone into effect. It may be true that any prior new car limited warranty or any original emissions warranty would have been voided, but VW/Audi can't take the car and perform an emissions repair without at the same time providing the extended emissions warranty to goes along with it (if no subsequent modifications were made to the car since the emissions fix).
I agree completely and this is why I fought it and why it ultimately it took 3 weeks sorting things out with Audi Germany.

I was dumbfounded when they told me the verdict. It doesnt make sense to me and in my opinion is not morally right. They should stand by their new emissions warranty as long as nothing has been done to void said new warranty. I still disagree with the decision but where was I supposed to go from there? Get the lawyers involved? Didnt have time and the wife needed a reliable car to get to work and drive kids. Was just easier to call up the dealer I bought it from, tell them the situation and see if they would take the car back and they did. Off my hands.