Need TB change guide in Brighton, MI area.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Here is the story - My neighbor bought a '99 Beetle TDI with 55,000 miles on her. I have a '02 Jetta TDI with 47,000 miles. I will eventually have to change my belt (within two years) so we decided to go in halves on the Metalnerd tool kit (we have to order yet) and do our own TB change as we have at least eight TDI's amongst our family and friends that will all need TB changes at some point in the future. This '99 Beetle will be our first TDI TB change, so we would like to have a seasoned Veteran of these changes to guide us through our first TB change. Money and/or Beer is no problem. Once we get through this first change with a veteran as our guide - we will have more confidence on the next eight on our own. We will be changing a TB on a '92 EcoDiesel in the next couple of months, but we already have the tools for this and have done these before. We just need the experience of anothers for the TDI.

Anyone willing to give us a hand - you don't have to get dirty as we will do all of the work and have the tools (need Vag Com though). We just need your brains and experience. I would imagine it happenening within the next month or so as it has 56,800 miles on it now. We can set it up firmly as the time approaches. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
How about taking it to Hondo's GTG?

SCCAFV17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 99, Silver
I work in Milford & could help out after work sometime. I'm on the VAG-COM list or you can send me a PM. Just let me know in advance & we can work out our schedules.

Eric

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
There will be an abundance of talent and experience in these matters at Hondos' GTG at the end of the month (May). If you're not into the group scene, I'd be willing to help. Let me know about a time frame and we can set something up. I'm in Saginaw BTW.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
How do the GTG's work? Are actual TB changes performed? If so - just one for demonstration purposes or as many as people bring? How long does a typical TB change take? Thanks for all the help and info.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I'm in the Middle of the mitten....like Mark of Diesel....willing to supervise and maybe get a little dirty. Have all the tools. I'd usually plan on 6 hours to do the job....lots of fun stuff going on ya know!