www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 8th, 2019, 13:40   #1
Nrconnelly

Fuel Economy: 34-48mpg
Default Led upgrades

Good afternoon,

New to the forums, did some searching and couldnít necessarily find an answer. Was looking into upgrading my fog lights to match the hids I have in my headlights. Itís a 2013 golf. Anyone have experience upgrading the fog lights to match? I can look up a bulb guide to figure out which bulb I need. Iím just worried about the new lights throwing bulb out codes. Thanks for your time.
Nrconnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 08:44   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Welcome to TDI.

You cannot just go to any parts supply for bulbs. Some LED bulbs are sold as "CANBUS" compatible.
Which means the have a built in resistor to simulate an incandescent bulb.

You may find these on eBay also.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 10:56   #3
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Two options:

1) Get LED "bulbs" with built in resistor to trick computer, commonly called CAN buss bulbs

2) Change BCM coding so it doesn't check the bulb and you can put whatever bulb you want in the fog lamps.

Jason

PS: do you just want to look cool because your fog lamps match your HID? Or do you want functional fog lamps?
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 16:57   #4
Nrconnelly

Actual functional fog lamps would be nice. I’m familiar with the “canbuss” technology. I bought some for a previous car I owned, (a gti) and it still threw a code. I was just looking for some specific lights people bought that worked out for them. Thank you for the welcome and replies.
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:07   #5
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I have found some 3000k halogens for mine that did the intended job of fog lamp, but not much else. The LEDs I've tried usually fall between "looks pretty, but does nothing" and "just there to piss everyone off".

If you're really serious about it, places like Retrofit source will sell you a LED projector module for fog lamps. BTW they can also install it into your housing if you send it to them. I would do that and have the bulb monitoring turned off for the fog lamps.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 14:08   #6
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Been through this with another vehicle (not VW).

Bought something cheap, found that it did not do the job. The usual problem with cheap LED replacements is that the beam pattern will not be correct for the task at hand - the really cheap stuff will not even be remotely close. The cheap ones had a beam pattern that was so bad that switching the fog lights on didn't make a discernible difference from the driver's seat ...

Replaced with these ... https://www.xenondepot.com/h16-h8-h1...12793unix2.htm

Muuuuch better. Amber/yellow is better for fog lamp applications. These are not cheap.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 05:33   #7
Votblindub
Veteran Member

DDM Tuning (not affiliated with them) has HID kits that are super affordable and have a lifetime warranty, if you want to get more light from your fog lights. Obviously, you could blind people if you get a ridiculous set, so be smart about it. They have the yellow color ones, commonly referred to as euro or french fog lights. THOSE are the functional ones. Those are the ones that are best for fog and snow and rain and generally bad weather. If you just want the matching color, you can simply snag some LEDs online that are non-error causing bulbs, toss em in and go on with your day.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 16:09   #8
Nrconnelly

Excellent, appreciate the replies. I was considering going with the yellowish colored ones but now after the research and recommendations, that’s probably the route I’ll go. Thanks again all.
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:20   #9
Votblindub
Veteran Member

I did a bit of reading about fog lights and here's what i found (short version):
-Yellow is the best color
-It's not more light, it's where the light goes

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is online now   Reply With Quote