TDI into Vanagon

jeepwillies

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Westy with 03 ALH
I have a 2002 TDI that I am swaping into my Vanagon via a FastForward swap kit.
Would love to see pictures of others that have done or had done this swap or any similar swaps. I just want to start getting ideas for mouning of the various components.

Cheers!
Dave

istewart

Veteran Member
To the contrary, I doubt you'll find very much info at VWVortex, their Bus forum is very eclectic. There's a Yahoo group you may not have been aware of: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion/ that will probably be able to help you substantially. I will be undertaking this swap myself sometime in the future, but I'll probably use an AHU instead of an ALH... easier to get past CA smog, it seems.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I will be doing a tdi/Westy Syncro swap when the current projects are out of the way, and I would like to be able to follow along other Vanagon swaps right here on this forum. Why not?

t3tdi

TDI
1Z powered multivan whitestar
I will try and document my re-installation of my tdi,once I get the gearbox back.
There's a good vanagon/T3 site here in the UK http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/home/home.htm

...not many tdi's about on there,the 1.9 Td (AAZ) seems a more popular conversion over here due to its simplicity.
The tdi set up in mine is chargecooled,and WILL soon be running a custom tall 5th gear to help it out long distance.

DirtGhost

TDI
2008 GTI
jeepwillies said:
I have a 2002 TDI that I am swaping into my Vanagon via a FastForward swap kit.
Would love to see pictures of others that have done or had done this swap or any similar swaps. I just want to start getting ideas for mouning of the various components.

Cheers!
Dave
This is not a hard coversion. I placed a Cabrio engine into my 1988 Vanagon. Got a wiring Kit from Dave Marshall at Fast Forward. With in a few weekends I was up and running again .

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
IIRC, it's the ALH's drive-by-wire throttle & other electronics that introduce the greater complexity into the swap vs. opting for an AAZ swap.

t3tdi

TDI
Mike_Van said:
IIRC, it's the ALH's drive-by-wire throttle & other electronics that introduce the greater complexity into the swap vs. opting for an AAZ swap.
You're not wrong there!
I decided to rebuild the loom for mine,what a birds nest!!!

t3tdi

TDI
Got her running today....

running good,fitting the bigger 30hp up injector tips this weekend....then a full on test,can't wait to get into 5th with the 0.74 ratio I've had done....

t3tdi

TDI
hirmiller,hi,have you tried the forum on www.brick-yard.co.uk its very useful,also has a diesel upgrades section for T3 buses,(I'm assuming you're running a T3/type 25)

t3tdi

TDI
Just to update things........
the tdi was running rough,just like it used to since before the stripdown...hunting on idle,never running sweet on tickover.-Well replaced the pump and its now solved the problem!!
Also fitted the injector nozzles,but no meatter how many times I meticulously reclean them and refit with new copper washers they stil appear to be bubbling out some diesel when warmed up.So I'm looking for a set of used AFN/110hp injectors,as my nozzles were ebay quality I'm afraid!
Also still got an annoying jolt/misfire which happens quite randomly at around 70mph,or when in high gear accelerating on an incline.As the pumps been replaced I'm suspicious of the injectors/fuel lines at the moment.
Apart from this its good news,no smoke!,and the new tall 5th gear is very well suited!!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My neighbor just bought a 1980 T3 that he thinks he wants to convert to a diesel. If he found an ALH motor, wouldn't it be best to find a 1998 Beetle wiring? It is my understanding that since it doesn't have the immobilizer, so wouldn't it be easier to wire it in?

t3tdi

TDI
I would imagine so,yes.
European models have immobiliser from about '94 up.Seems unusual that a 98 doesn't or is that normal where you are?

jeepwillies

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Westy with 03 ALH
I believe that you are right Whitedog...about the immobiliser. Best check around to be sure, but there are also ways around the immobiliser as well.

Dave