TDI SEL with 18" wheel and low profile tires (45s) concerns.

Imants

TDI
2012 Passat Highline, dsg
My speedometer reads so high that a larger diameter tire would improve its accuracy. The optimistic fuel usage meter would likely be more accurate as well. The stock odometer, however, is bang on (based on comparisons with the Garmin trip reading). That would suffer.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
My speedometer reads so high that a larger diameter tire would improve its accuracy. The optimistic fuel usage meter would likely be more accurate as well. The stock odometer, however, is bang on (based on comparisons with the Garmin trip reading). That would suffer.
This can be adjusted with a VCDS. I would not rely on the Garmin to be the standard, GPS signals are adjusted all the time for security reasons, so are generally overall accurate.

gfr1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI ordered
This can be adjusted with a VCDS. I would not rely on the Garmin to be the standard, GPS signals are adjusted all the time for security reasons, so are generally overall accurate.
The former deviation for "security" was terminated years ago, so not an issue. But, other variances can certainly enter in. Such as vertical variations, digital "rounding", GPS instrument accuracy, come to mind.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Hi,
I will be picking up a new TDI SEL in a few days, as the individual that pre-ordered the car backed out, and I was in right place at right time (as I was 4 months from getting my delivery). My concerns: ride quality on the 18"wheel and low profile tire? The dealer says they can swap out wheel and install 17", but it looks as if I have pleanty of fender clearance to run a taller 18" tire (60-70?) after initial set? Anyone else runing taller tire on the 18"?? Thoughts?
Thanks
I changed out tires to 225/50R18. Fit perfectly. Also adjusted odometer and digital speedometer via VCDS. Very pleased with this change. The only issue is that if I get a flat tire, that wheel/tire will not fit in the trunk wheel well. Went with Tire Rack's number one rated ultra high performance all season tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. Handle great. Work well with Passat suspension. Best when running 32 or 33 psi. Should also do a bit better in the snow than the wider stock size.