2012 Passat HID DIY Install

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We can put the stock halogens back in, too - just buy another set of bulb holders!

Being in California, you're probably be fine with the vampire taps on the stock harness... in areas with snow/rain/salt - you could run into issues with weatherproofing... coolant migration anyone? Just sayin'

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The HIDs do not re-ignite when you turn them on before starting the engine... they stay lit while cranking (just like the halogens did).

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
First post...Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got my '13 Passat, and god do I loathe halogens after driving the last 7 yrs with xenons...Anyway we all know Xenons arent a factory option for the new US Passats so my question is which option should I go with. I see that the cutoff and scatter from the plug in kits used in this thread arent bad at all, and its by far the cheaper and easier option...Or should I go with a retrofit kit like the XF-R from retrofitsource which is gonna require the headlamps to be modified...My dilemna is I can't decide wether or not its really worth the extra money and effort to have the projectors retrofitted after seeing the photos of the plugin kit from XE, I'd probably order the USP kit myself..Also do the DRLs need to be disabled through vagcom for the xenons to function properly or can I leave that alone. Thanks for the help in advance.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I would recommend going with a good quality drop-in retrofit kit and save up for the real deal. Hopefully by then the wiring will be 100% figured out for all of the lighting (Front, Rear, Fogs, etc.).

Doing a projector retrofit in the US Passat housings does not appeal to me at all.

DRLs and headlights are completely independent of each other. You can retain your DRLs and the Xenons will still function just fine because they are two completely separate lamps (unlike the low beam DRLs that other cars have).

Also, thank you for bumping this thread instead of posting a new thread that I would have ended up merging into this thread.

Last edited:

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
I would recommend going with a good quality drop-in retrofit kit and save up for the real deal. Hopefully by then the wiring will be 100% figured out for all of the lighting (Front, Rear, Fogs, etc.).

Doing a projector retrofit in the US Passat housings does not appeal to me at all.

DRLs and headlights are completely independent of each other. You can retain your DRLs and the Xenons will still function just fine because they are two completely separate lamps (unlike the low beam DRLs that other cars have).

Also, thank you for bumping this thread instead of posting a new thread that I would have ended up merging into this thread.
Gotcha, yea ideally would love the real deal, buts its not out and the closest are the chinese parts but that just seems like a bigger hassle...I'm leaning toward the drop ins just because they are the easier of the two options...if I go with the drop ins the money I save from retrofitting, would basically pay for legit lamps when they do come out..so I think I've all but made up my mind of what to do.

Lastly if I were to order the same XE+ 35w kit that Coffeemade ordered, would I need to order their Can-Bus module as well? I kno the USP kit comes with that built into the balast the XE+ description doesn't really say much about it.

Last edited:

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
First post...Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got my '13 Passat, and god do I loathe halogens after driving the last 7 yrs with xenons...Anyway we all know Xenons arent a factory option for the new US Passats so my question is which option should I go with. I see that the cutoff and scatter from the plug in kits used in this thread arent bad at all, and its by far the cheaper and easier option...Or should I go with a retrofit kit like the XF-R from retrofitsource which is gonna require the headlamps to be modified...My dilemna is I can't decide wether or not its really worth the extra money and effort to have the projectors retrofitted after seeing the photos of the plugin kit from XE, I'd probably order the USP kit myself..Also do the DRLs need to be disabled through vagcom for the xenons to function properly or can I leave that alone. Thanks for the help in advance.
Just do the drop in kit, quick install and great results, doing projectors would be a pain in the a$$. While it looks nice when done and I have only seen one, unless you do them often. If the housing was glass i might be saying other, but the plastic is a real pain.

Totally agree! ;)

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
Just do the drop in kit, quick install and great results, doing projectors would be a pain in the a$$. While it looks nice when done and I have only seen one, unless you do them often. If the housing was glass i might be saying other, but the plastic is a real pain.

Totally agree! ;)
Any quality differences between the XE+ kit and USP kit, that you've heard of, I know the XE+ comes with the lifetime warranty which is really nice, and the USP is only 1 year.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The USP seems to have a plastic lamp mount, whereas the XE+ has very nice quality metal mounts. I'd worry about the longevity of the plastic with the heat from the lamps.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
I love my XE+ and I haven't thought twice about it. While more expensive I would rather pay once than pay for a new set every couple years.

zarar

TDI
'12 Volkswagon Passat SE (Gas Model)
Any DIY on how to remove the headlight, is it difficult/time consuming or is it straight forward?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I reckon we will have a ~$500 complete Halo/Led plug'n'play 3rd party headlight/tail lites assy available to us fairly soon. As we all know darn well, none of us will be able to resist ;)

For now, the $99 set hits the spot and the amt of lumens per buck spent is way up there

I love my XE+ and I haven't thought twice about it. While more expensive I would rather pay once than pay for a new set every couple years.

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
So I went ahead and purchased the USP set should be in my hands tomorrow.. in preparation I took then headlight bulb apart but I can't seem to locate the wires where the t-tap connectors will connect to on my 2013... went with the cheaper set based upon reviews price and the fact we should have a complete solution soon. Till then the USP should do...if anyone could point me at where to look for this wires that b greatly appreciated'

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Don't use T-Tap connectors on headlight wiring... 'specially wiring that out in the open exposed to the Chicago salt.

-J

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
Don't use T-Tap connectors on headlight wiring... 'specially wiring that out in the open exposed to the Chicago salt.

-J
How would you recommend they be installed then, soldering? was thinking or wrapping the T-Taps with electrical tape after.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
If you insist on splicing into the car side of the harness before the headlamp assembly I would cut and splice the wire, and use weatherproof heatshrink. Moisture / salt is the enemy, and tape isn't enough to keep it out.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
If you insist on splicing into the car side of the harness before the headlamp assembly I would cut and splice the wire, and use weatherproof heatshrink. Moisture / salt is the enemy, and tape isn't enough to keep it out.
Somebody sounds like they want to help a Montgomery County, MD TDI owner do this sometime after TDIFest. That TDI owner has no problem driving to Springfield VA. Hint.

Hint. Hint.

djkinetic

TDI
Passat B7
Finally got my kit installed all I gotta say is damn what a difference vs. stock..can't wait till the real deal comes out with LEDs and projectors

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Somebody sounds like they want to help a Montgomery County, MD TDI owner do this sometime after TDIFest. That TDI owner has no problem driving to Springfield VA. Hint.
Hint. Hint.
Bring parts and beer!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That would be cool. We can do a GTG/cookout at the house in early October!

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Drilling soft rubber aint gonna give one anything that looks like a nice round hole. A punch would work much better.

Lotsa folx assume that inside of HID assys needs to be hermetically sealed, but it most cases she aint. I'd seal with a caulk, but in my case, I did a cut with a knife, let the wires through and kept it at that.
Yep, I thought so too. Was washing the car the other day and saw a spider inside the headlight. Was in for my 10K oil change and asked the dealer about this(thought that the housing was flawed). What he said, made total sense. There are vents in the lights, so that with the heat build up with the lights on they will not explode. Think about how much heat halogens or HID's create. Certainly would cause pressure to build......

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm about to order the HID drop ins. While I'm at it, I think I'll order some high beam bulbs and some HID fogs. Does anyone know if the OEMPlus HID fog is a seamless install? I didn't see a write up.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Because of how the system fades the cornering lights in and out I don't think you'd want to use a HID lamp in the fog lights.

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can turn the cornering lights off in the computer and use HIDs in the fogs, but I'm skeptical of the beam pattern with HIDs in the fog housings. You could certainly try it and report your findings!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You could certainly try it and report your findings!
No, I'm not much into being a guinea pig. If the two of you, especially, are leery of the install, then I certainly am too.

Good point on the cornering feature. I'm not sure you want the ballasts cycling multiple times a day as you turn at low speed.

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
The USP seems to have a plastic lamp mount, whereas the XE+ has very nice quality metal mounts. I'd worry about the longevity of the plastic with the heat from the lamps.
Googles and searched the forum, and can't find a good website for this XE+ HID kit. Can anyone provide one please? It seems to me that the only difference between the USP kit and the XE+ kit is the bulb adaptor material? Thank You.