Imperial gallons?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Quick question: I sometimes read people talk about their mpg (Imperial) and so forth. Is fuel still dispensed by the gallon in parts of Canada?

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
dqa, Fuel is dispensed only in litres in Canada. Imperial measure was outlawed (literally) by the federal government in the 70's or 80's by politicians who "knew best" how we should think. Some of us who were brought up on imperial measure didn't like being told how we should think and haven't quite made the switch to litres, metres and kilometres. At last count, I think I have five metric conversion calculators. Don't get me started... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
Yes, we use the metric system in Canada. It is logical and simple. Water freezing at 0, boiling at 100, 1 milliliter of water weights 1 gram, one liter or cubic decimeter is 1 kilo, 1 cubic meter or 1000 liters weight a metric ton (1000 kg). But we still use the old system for the description of personal height (feet and inches) and sometimes for fuel consumption. Everybody here knows exactly how warm is 25 c and how heavy is a 60 kph wind. But it is still more simple, especially for older people, to use pounds and feet measures most of the time. I'm not sure but I think USA is the only country in the world who does not use the metric system. It takes time to convert, and sometimes errors happen when we mix the two systems, like that space vessel crashed on Mars (metric and imperial navigation data mixed without conversion /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
I hate to sound stupid but what is the difference between imperial and metric. I always thought 4L was an imperial gal

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
between U.S. and English Gal. is about a Qt. or 32 oz. english gal. 5 qts. u.s. 4 qts.! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought 4L was an imperial gal

[/ QUOTE ]It doesn't line up in Mozilla, but if you look at the top of the page and click on "Unit Conversions," you can get the actual comparisons: One imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons (just under 5 qts) and 4.55 liters.

Another issue I noticed in Mozilla is that "Liters" comes out spelled wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought 4L was an imperial gal

[/ QUOTE ]It doesn't line up in Mozilla, but if you look at the top of the page and click on "Unit Conversions," you can get the actual comparisons: One imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons (just under 5 qts) and 4.55 liters.

Another issue I noticed in Mozilla is that "Liters" comes out spelled wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

__. I'd be really careful with the Mozilla conversion - it's rounded off too extremely.

__. An imperial gallon is at a 4/5 ratio with the US gallon (and pint/quart, etc.) At some historic time, US authorities standarized the liquid measurement to be the same as dry. A "dry quart" is 32 oz., the US official liquid quart is the same. A (liquid) pint in the UK is 20 oz., a quart is 40 oz., and an Imperial Gallon is 4 quarts == 160 oz. versus the US 4 quarts == 128 oz. So the exact comparison is 1:1.25. The Imperial gallon is *exactly* five US quarts*. I think that the metric conversion is that an Imperial Gallon is ~4.55 litre.

__. Also, the usual way of spelling the metric liquid measurement in the UK is "litres" so that may be how Mozilla spells it. "... Two nations separated by a common language ..."
-

(*PS Not exactly the same, there a slight difference in the definition of a "fluid ounce" but the difference is something in the 1/100 range so it's insignificant.)

Westminter

TDI
Jetta Automatic, 2002, Silver
Yes 20 fliud ounces is a pint, so 16 fluid ounce is 80% of a pint. Very important when ordering your pint of Bass Ale.

Petrol is around 80p per litre as of about a week ago,
which works out to be around $5.15 per US gallon.
No wonder diesels are more popular back home in England,
where some get around 60 miles per Imperial gallon.

NeXTstep guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
3.785 litres = 1 US gallon.
4.546 litres = 1 Imp gallon.

1.201 US gallon = 1 Imp gallon.

hth

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my sassy, wise-ass comment....

As you may have noticed, from the above comments, an imperial gallon is not the same as an US gallon. And, there are a whole lot of conversion factors.

Thus I will give the most important conversion factor.....

1 L = 1 Liter = 1 Litre

That's it. No conversions required wherever you go in the whole wide world! Isn't that simple? /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

End of wise-ass comment.
RWW