www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 21st, 2011, 17:20   #931
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

This splitting hairs over whether or not receipts are valid is absolutley sickening. RECIPTS ARE VALID PROOF THAT YOU PURCHASED DIESEL. It's enough. It is, really. Nothing else you can do will carry any more weight in court, save for getting a fuel sample and having it analyzed at $200/sample EVERY TIME and saving those records, with your receipt of course.

You can go down may tangents about "what ifs" and such, but it's all the same. Receipts are enough. They are. Period. As stated before, unless you are getting fuel samples analyzed every tank, the mere fact that you have a receipt that states you purchased diesel fuel is more than most are going to bring to any type of litigation / arbitration hearing and that WILL WORK IN YOUR FAVOR.

Jeez Louise. I just don't get it. If you truly believe that this car is that much of a hassle to own, put a for sale sign in it and remove what sounds like a huge element of stress from your life.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 18:09   #932
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post
This splitting hairs over whether or not receipts are valid is absolutley sickening. RECIPTS ARE VALID PROOF THAT YOU PURCHASED DIESEL. It's enough. It is, really. Nothing else you can do will carry any more weight in court, save for getting a fuel sample and having it analyzed at $200/sample EVERY TIME and saving those records, with your receipt of course.

You can go down may tangents about "what ifs" and such, but it's all the same. Receipts are enough. They are. Period. As stated before, unless you are getting fuel samples analyzed every tank, the mere fact that you have a receipt that states you purchased diesel fuel is more than most are going to bring to any type of litigation / arbitration hearing and that WILL WORK IN YOUR FAVOR.

Jeez Louise. I just don't get it. If you truly believe that this car is that much of a hassle to own, put a for sale sign in it and remove what sounds like a huge element of stress from your life.

You've got an AMEN for that.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 20:25   #933
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Bill
Ditto
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:06   #934
keywestbob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: To new to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post

Bill
Amen brother!

Only 66 more posts until this thread breaks the 1000 mark

I bought a '04 new and heard about the DMF grenading (it didn't), the cam, lifters, bearing getting trashed (they didn't in 195,300 miles), the windows falling in (they didn't) and countless other "defects" which could possibly kill me. Maybe because I used the proper oil and eventually Mobil TDT (thank you TDiclub) and didn't try and squeak it to the max I didn't have any failures. Other than the wrong flywheel sold to me by a club member & vendor.

We just sold the Wagon and in a way I miss it. However it was replaced with a new MkVI Golf w/a 6MT which will supposedly grenade the DMF, the HPFP will self destruct, the Inter Cooler will turn into a block of ice and countless other issues will surface.

My response. Yeah right.

I buy the best fuel I can from one place, the local Farm Service Co-Op which pumps many, many thousands of gallons a week retail and even more to the farmers over a multi county area, blends in 5-11% Soy in the summer months and uses Diesel Ex Gold full time and passes the ASTM tests w/ease. You want to create a real problem, screw up the farmers with crap fuel.

My receipts all say "Diesel" as well as my monthly statement which I pay the bill from so I think I inadvertently have the paperwork trail covered without having to resort to video cameras and such. I will do everything in my power (as I did with the Jetta) to take proper care of my car, I will not push the fluid changes or not do maintenance when called for or in some cases before its called for.

Does that mean I will not have any problems? I hope the Golf will be as trouble free as the Jetta was but I will cover my bases. Being in the Quality field for > 30 years I understand the numbers game, a .11% failure on these cars is a drop in the bucket vs qty produced, yes, until it happens to one of us and a even lower number would be much much better. Feel free to call me a clueless boob but in all my years I have NEVER misfueled my cars or motorcycles and have no plans to start now. And before you ask I'm the only one who fuels it.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Bob

Last edited by keywestbob; March 30th, 2011 at 05:28.
keywestbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:28   #935
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywestbob View Post
We just sold the Wagon and in a way I miss it. However it was replaced with a new MkVI Golf w/a 6MT which will supposedly grenade the DMF, the HPFP will self destruct, the Inter Cooler will turn into a block of ice and countless other issues will surface.

My response. Yeah right.

Nahh, you forgot to mention your Exhaust flaper valve will fail at least twice before 190K, and you'll need to look for solution to a filled up DPF anywhere after 120K. Oh and your door's wiring harness as well as washer fluid lines will need some tending too. Ohh and good luck with the door lock modules binding up on you too.

Changing your oil on a regular baisis can't excape you from those issue.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:41   #936
rogerd

So, has anyone estabished a build date or part number or other identifying feature of the final improved HPFP? If I'm looking at a used 2009 I assume it would have the older (un-improved) version unless it was later replaced, right? Are all 2011s "OK"?
rogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:23   #937
timwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerd View Post
So, has anyone estabished a build date or part number or other identifying feature of the final improved HPFP? If I'm looking at a used 2009 I assume it would have the older (un-improved) version unless it was later replaced, right? Are all 2011s "OK"?
No one knows what HPFP design changes were made, or whether those changes have been effective in addressing the HPFP failure issue.

Also, no one knows the cause of the HPFP failures, although there are many theories.
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:28   #938
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
No.

The NHTSA report says VW made changes in May 2008, September 2009 and November 2010. I am collecting data, but so far I cannot determine if the dates are pump production dates or vehicle production dates. Pumps take anywhere from 40 to 70 days on average to be installed in a vehicle once the pumps are manufactured.

If the dates in the report represent pump production dates, a revision 3 pump might be installed in a car made as early as mid-January 2011, but there's no way to prove it yet. Some of the newest pumps have colored dots on them, which is to indicate something, and possibly to indicate the pump is a revision 3 pump. Again, I don't have enough data to figure this out yet.

On the other hand, plenty of us with "revision 1" pumps or even original revision pumps are operating their 2009s without issue. If you're considering not getting a 2009 because of this problem, you're probably best off getting a 05.5-06 and taking care of it.
9W2 Bluetooth
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:34   #939
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Maybe there's a dealer somewhere who can tell the new pumps somehow. Too bad there's no well connected dealer who's club friendly. Maybe some members can hang out with a big shot somehow.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:34   #940
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:

Early indications are that they are better. Are they OK? That is a matter of definition. Fewer 2010s have failed than 2009s, but the 2011s are too new to really know just how OK they are. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:02   #941
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post
Maybe there's a dealer somewhere who can tell the new pumps somehow.
How about we let them tell the difference between the Castrol SLX Professional OE ("black bottles") and the Castrol SLX Professional LL03 ("gold bottles") first?

They see those more often.
9W2 Bluetooth
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 13:16   #942
scdevon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None
Fuel Economy: Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
. Fewer 2010s have failed than 2009s, but the 2011s are too new to really know just how OK they are. Only time will tell.

Don
Late model pumps don't seem to be failing at all. Some late model pumps are way past the mileage where early pumps were failing.
scdevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 13:47   #943
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdevon View Post
Late model pumps don't seem to be failing at all. Some late model pumps are way past the mileage where early pumps were failing.
Its all a bit reminiscent of the time we went over to unleaded gas. That required hardened valves and valve seats.

Before then it was failure after failure.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 13:53   #944
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default NHTSA Contact

I got another email from the NHTSA today. It was a short survey about refueling. Why? When? Did I ever misfuel. blah blah blah.

I cant be responsible for the quality of diesel at retailers nor can I test the fuel at the POS. VAG needs to make a engine that will work with US graded diesel.

ddorrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 13:57   #945
IFRCFI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdevon View Post
Careful. There are a few 2009 owners on here who take exception to their cars being labeled "early". I took an earful for suggesting that 2009 be avoided on the used car market.....
IFRCFI is offline   Reply With Quote