*SALVAGE* Original Owner 2004.5 VW MK4 TDI PD BEW 5MT Indigo Blue Wagon - $2000, CT

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
<<<SOLD>>>

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SQcVusxv1L7OZ1TA3

254,069 miles. ***SALVAGE*** Title, both key FOBs, and valet key in-hand.
Car starts instantly without hesitation in ANY temperature, idles cleanly, pulls strong, and runs efficiently. NO codes (Have VCDS on hand to verify).
Took glancing hit from the left rear and repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth on the books so I'm selling the whole car for parts.

If you've ever wanted all the best parts to make your TDI perform at its best and last as long as you're willing to drive it, this is the deal for you! Even comes with a FULL tank of fuel AND 3 bottles of Opti-Lube Winter fuel treatment in the Opti Box. Timing belt done at 205,000 miles.

Electrical wire harness, radio, ECM, gauge cluster, etc... are un-mollested. Brakes are in VERY good shape and the E-brake even works (and releases cleanly)!

LUK Clutch and DMF
Garrett VNT-17 Turbocharger
DieselGeek Sigma 5 Short Shifter
DieselGeek Panzer Skid plate with FMJ option
DiselGeek Bypass Oil Filter Kit
OE VW First Aid Kit
OEM VW Vented fender liner
OE VW Rear Calliper Return Springs
Evolution Import 1" Suspension Lift
Koni Yellows
Lower Control Arms with Audi TT Bushings
Kerma TDI Doggie Collar Retrofit
Franko6 Titan Stage 2 Cam with chrome journals
Franko6 Modified No-Drill Cam Bearings
INA Black Oxide Lifters
OE Heated black Leather seats
OE TDI Monster Mats
AARodrigues armrest hinge and latch
Lubrication Specialties 2 micron Cat Fuel Filter Kit
Volxtuning glass headlamp covers
Defender-Tech Lift Pump with fail-safe bypass
Bosal Swan Neck Trailer Hitch Frame
Bosal Turbo-back exhaust
1999-2005 Bentley Service Manual
Torque Specifications Poster A4 ALH
Malone Tuning FlashZilla + cable
Several Tunes inculding variants with Dynamic Idle and Dynamic EGR
MANY unlisted parts have been replaced and/or upgraded.
Also have uninstalled ID Parts high mileage timing belt service kit, extra CAT 2 micron fuel filter, extra Amsoil bypas oil filter, OE VW transmission oil.
All parts sourced from TDI Club approved vendor list.

Car goes complete/as-is.
I will NOT part-out.
Price is non-negotiable.
No delivery available.

Last edited:

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Besides the salvaged title and the fact that it is no longer registered it is mechanically VERY drive-able. With the exception of the smashed-out tail light assembly and potentially loose rear bumper I would drive this car across the country without hesitation.

I had no plan to EVER stop driving this car hence the full fuel tank just before the crash.

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
I'm interested, how long has it been sitting? Did you have a loan on the vehicle when it was hit? Or if not how does the title get stamped "salvage" if you had the title? I'm guessing maybe if you had full coverage or someone else at fault you would need to hand it over to insurance company then buy it back?

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I have owned the car outright since 2006 so no loan or lien.

It was hit on 09/23/2017 and was driven daily up until then. I had full coverage on the car when the other guy (who was at fault) hit me.

The insurance company declared it a total loss and paid out then I arranged to buy the car from them instead of letting it go to the scrap yard.

I physically held the title the whole time and the insurance company stamped "SALVAGE" on it during a field visit after the appraisal. Ownership was never transferred to or from the insurance company.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
A user PM'd me asking if I would be willing to work with a shipping company that he arranged so I wanted to confirm for anyone else that might ask the same question;

I will work with a shipping company you contract with to load the car.

If you're curious on what it might cost, there are pages upon pages of auto transport service companies bidding for that business.

My zip code is 06093.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I'll give you a bump. If I had some cash I would be all over that. If you still have it in March I will be all over that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
New title

I had that same thought, may not be a salvage vehicle in the system.

chrism9852

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI/17 330e i-Performance/02 Silverado/93 325ic Turbo
Title washing... People who think this is a good idea is the reason Carfax has to exist. The word salvage is off of the title, but the buyer is going to be VERY sad when they try to register it.

How would you like to be the one to buy a car with a salvage history that got a replacement title?

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I bought this car brand new and loved-it from day one (I still do). With the advice of this forum I have acquired and used only the right tools, best parts, and oil with the intention of making the car perform its best for a very, very, long time, and by my measure, it has.

If I repaired the car, requested a replacement title from my DMV, somehow ended up with a clean-appearing paper title, and then tried to sell here (or anywhere), that would be fraudulent. When the plates were turned-in I reported the reason honestly. Also, it's easy to run a Carfax and see that it was reported "SALVAGE".

Completely ruining what little credibility or reputation I have, being banned from the forum, and possibly going to jail for motor vehicle fraud all for a salvage car is just not me. I've got too much to lose at this point in my life for that to even be the remotest of possibilities. Besides, I wouldn't want to be the recipient of such a scheme so why would I want to do it to any of the forum members who have so graciously helped me over the years making my TDI ownership a rewarding and successful experience.

I'd bet there aren't many members on this forum that don't take out their moral soapbox when curbstoners, Prothe, mark-and-pray jobs, or people in over their head trying to perform work without a Bentley or VCDS become the subject.

I'm not here to trick anyone. It's a great parts car so I bought it back from the insurance company because it was a sin to see those good parts go to the crusher but if you want to buy it, repair it, get it inspected, re-register it, and keep driving it, that's totally fine too but I've moved on and am not willing to do that work.

chrism9852

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI/17 330e i-Performance/02 Silverado/93 325ic Turbo
I was commenting on the "thoughts" of others, not implying you had sketchy intentions.

That it's a used car dealer on the moral soapbox is the sad part :(

mu2bdriver

TDI
2003 A4
Can you request a new title? If they only stamped yours, a new title wouldn't reflect the salvage status. Just a thought.

Having just gone through an insurance total with my MK4, once the insurance stamps it totaled, in CT, DMV is immediately notified and the registration is canceled although it does not reflect on the CT DMV website. I feel for the OP; if the State didn’t make it so difficult to re-title these cars with a rebuilt title, both of ours would probably be back on the street.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Title washing... People who think this is a good idea is the reason Carfax has to exist. The word salvage is off of the title, but the buyer is going to be VERY sad when they try to register it.

How would you like to be the one to buy a car with a salvage history that got a replacement title?
That's EXACTLY what happened to a friend of mine in Delaware. He bought a 2003 Golf TDI from a dealer in Maryland, and received a "clean" title. He paid $3200.00 for it, and when he took it to the Delaware DMV, they told him it was a "salvage", and they needed the complete history on the car before they would title it. It took him over three months to get that information from the dealer, who tried to stonewall him all the way. After he finally got what Delaware wanted, after threatening legal action, it took another $3500.00 to get it into compliance. At the time, at the DMV, one of the troopers said, about Maryland "they'd certify a baloney sandwich"

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
This thread has definitely gotten off course... Props to the OP for being up front and honest about it being a salvage title, even if some people here have suggested trying to wash the salvage branding off of the title.

To the original topic, of selling the car, though, if this was a few months from now, I'd probably be buying this. Sadly, I'm in no position to buy a car right now, though...

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
This thread has definitely gotten off course... Props to the OP for being up front and honest about it being a salvage title, even if some people here have suggested trying to wash the salvage branding off of the title.

To the original topic, of selling the car, though, if this was a few months from now, I'd probably be buying this. Sadly, I'm in no position to buy a car right now, though...
You're absolutely right, and if I didn't already have three cars, it would already be mine

FreezNDeez

TDI
1997 jetta tdi
if they only stamped the title, then in the dmv database it WOULDN'T be a salvage car. now if the new title comes back as salvage, then I was wrong. but a stamp on a title doesn't a salvage car make. since it was bought back, there is no incentive for the insurance to take the time. salvage is usually after an insurancecompany buys the totaled vehicle, then does salvage title before auctioning it off. I had a Dakota that was totaled out 3 times. never had a salvage title on it

FreezNDeez

TDI
1997 jetta tdi
to clarify, I kept the Dakota and didn't sell it. 2 years after the the 3rd total, a 92 year old man with 1 eye put her down for good with total #4

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I'm not sure what your point is here. Congrats to you and your Dakota. They don't just stamp it the title here, It immediately goes on record with the DMV

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Update

Car is sold.

Although it was a salvage car intended for parts, the new owner is literally, as I type this, driving it back home across the country.

A gracious thank you to the entire TDIClub forum community and to Fred for making this support network possible.

A portion of the proceeds from this sale have been donated to the TDIClub.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Congrats on the sale, it sounds like your car has been saved from the junk yard. I hate to see these MK4’s die.

FreezNDeez

TDI
1997 jetta tdi
Then our states must differ. I was just offering a suggestion based on my experiences in Illinois. as the car looked fine, and the usual definition of being totaled is the cost of repair vs total cost and not necessarily road worthiness, I hate that an insurance company put those restrictions on the title. sorry for the confusion, wasn't suggesting anything illegal, just gave advice based on my dealings in my state. congrats on the sale. hopefully it hits the road again!