Injector calibration on a pop tester

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I only found one supplier and they aren't quite what I want so I'm not posting that info up, I'm done setting up injectors though so I'm not worried about it anymore. If someone does find a proper kit, post it up. 3mm ID, 7mm OD, .9mm-2mm by .025mm steps

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
you can do it as simple as sacrifice an injector, lap the bottom .002" off and you'll get a repeatable tool, it won't be accurate though, your actual main pressure will be 5-10bar higher than you measure. Its really difficult to photograph with a cell phone camera, just don't take too much off. If you do this on all 4, you'll convert them to single stage injectors ;)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Subscribed, have to do mine next week. What pressure do you recommend? We up our 6.2 pressures as they atomize better and run smoother.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
depends on the nozzles, 220-230 for pilots, 300-310 on mains for PP764 or smaller, you can experiment with higher numbers, the most important part is balance. I'm running my really big nozzles at 260/360 and I will be backing them down.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thanks. Why are you backing them down?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
They don't seem to be flowing as much as I thought they should, I think that I shimmed them so much that its inhibiting needle lift.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gotcha.

BTW, nice numbers on the Passat, :cool:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Good write-up overall. Makes me want to bite the bullet, pu a pop tester and try my hand at it. Haven't found a source for the shims though. They are specifically sized and high hardness making them pretty application specific and hard to source. That's kind of a bigger deal or obstacle than getting the tester itself, IMO.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would say the same thing - hard to find the shims. I made a pop tester, and installed my last set of nozzles, but I know they're popping low now that they have been in for 200k km. Time to search for some shims. Gonna call the local diesel shop...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got mine from sun diesel. Not exactly what I wanted so I hadn't posted up the source. Its about $350 for a kit if I remember correctly. Your local diesel shop probably won't be able to help. I wasn't able to find any diesel shop that even knew what to do with shims. They usually change the pressure pin.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got a hold of some used auto injectors, check them, popped at 3000 psi, and held at 2500 psi, spray patterns were junk, one just streamed, :(

Took them apart, Bosch 150's, cleaned them and retested, mucho better but still crappy spray, installed new nozzles, perfect spray patterns. Might shim them up a tad more, looks like the same shims as my 6.2 for the main spring.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
What about just ultrasonic cleaning? I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, but I don' t know what fluid to use in it or for how long.

I don't have the tools or desire to take the injectors apart. Is cleaning without disassembling a waste of time?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've tested 2 automatic #3 injectors and they pop 1000 psi less than the others 3???????????

drejck

TDI
golf3 1,9tdi 81kw
hi!
i dont understand,so can anyone explane me again or make a better video howto test second stage(main) the highest.i can only do first stage i have the same machine tester :D :D

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
I want to calibrate 0.330 firad in special diesel shop. I must decide what pop pressures choose. Think about 260/360, fuel pump i have 12mm for now but maybe change it back to 11mm in future. Are thos 260/360 is good for nice comsumption, less smoke and not bad power?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I had mine cranked up that high for a little bit but I turned them back down. So far I am seeing more power with lower pressures. Mine were at 270/360

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
so higer pressure are better for fuel economy and no smoke and lower pressures are better for power. Hm which one choose... 12mm used rotor head will be good for higher pressures . or better choose 11mm rotorhead from renault , thee was best 11mm rotorhead different than 107j.

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
Ok. know now. those people who set this pressure know/see what pressure is best for nozzles. whatihear higher 2nd stage pressure than 350 is not good. Why maybe too much pressure for fuel pump or too much stress for every parts inside and timing belt.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
230/310 always works for me

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That is approximately where I am at Ryan. Making some serious power but no time to dyno tune more out of it.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
You need an emulator BADLY! haha

Cant wait to see that run!!

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
hi!
i dont understand,so can anyone explane me again or make a better video howto test second stage(main) the highest.i can only do first stage i have the same machine tester :D :D
If I am understanding correctly, the "lock out hat" is installed in the injector to prevent the pilot stage from popping. This allows you to see where the second stage is popping.

Funny thing, I had a local Bosch diesel shop refurbish/calibrate my injectors when I put new nozzles on. I asked them if they could set up the two stage injectors, and the guy at the counter had no clue what I was talking about. The next day when I picked them up I asked if he found out, and and he told me that I had "single spring injectors". I took the "don't argue with an idiot" approach. He soon left though and another guy stepped over and said yes, they were two stage. Then a guy from the injection shop walked by and I asked him. He said the did not have the "expensive equipment" to set up the second stage.

I am not confident on the rebuild at all, but at least it was only $65! Next time I will ship them off to someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited: