Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I would be interested in seeing how a sequential setup would be fitted to the O2J. Ive seen the innards of other sequential boxes, and the shift forks are fitted to a "keyed" barrel that gets rotated a set amount and shifts that way. Im just curious as to the other sequential setups out there as thats the only one Ive seen so far. Always lookin to learn new things

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Hmmm... I want this on my 02A.
The image shows an 02A gearbox. ;)
This is a complete bolt on kit to turn your 02J 5-speed transmission into a 6-speed. You will therefore retain your original clutch, starter, axles, mounts, shift box/linkage, etc... Everything needed to do the swap will be included in this kit. There will be different price levels depending on what you want to do.
Hey guys,
excellent product! Just an obersvation from here but is the above a replica of the 02S set up?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yeah looks like an 02S to me!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
It looks to be using 02S parts, the ratios can be mixed and matched

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I think the 02S is just a copy of the VWMS/Quaife/Eurospecsport 5/6 gear add on kits, none of which had gearing that would appease a TDI person looking to drop RPMS on the highway.

I like the target price range and if things work out I'll be buying one. This has been what I've wanted for a long time.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Let us know where to get in line! I love my .623 5th and should I hold on to my .658 and .622 5th gears for the conversion? A .586 6th would be a bit much for a mild tune like I have (RC2 and sprint 520s). How much HP would a .586 take?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I think the 02S is just a copy of the VWMS/Quaife/Eurospecsport 5/6 gear add on kits, none of which had gearing that would appease a TDI person looking to drop RPMS on the highway.
The 02S is not a copy as it uses different input/output shafts and different 5th and 6th gears.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
That noise goes up with road speed, not engine rpm... and it doesn't change with gear changes. Is it the straight-cut final drive that is making all the noise?
That is gear whine, likely coming from the gears themselves. The final drive is in the rear end and has to be hypoid gears (ie straight cut not possible).

This is a better indication of what a street car will be like with straight cut gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-k3YAjIQzI&feature=related

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
straight cut gears' noise? put your car in reverse and giv'er? from what i understand reverse gear is not syncronized because they are straight cut? correct me if i'm wrong

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
straight cut gears' noise? put your car in reverse and giv'er? from what i understand reverse gear is not syncronized because they are straight cut? correct me if i'm wrong
Gear profile has nothing to do with being synchronized or not. You can have straight cut gears with syncro rings or dog engagement as well as helical gears with syncro rings or dog engagement.

The 02J is what is considered a constant mesh gearbox, IE all gears are always meshing with their counter parts. This however is not true with reverse gear. For reverse gear to work an idler gear has to engage it's corresponding mating gears, thus no syncronizer is required, and also why if the car is moving you generally cannot engage reverse easily.

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
Gear profile has nothing to do with being synchronized or not. You can have straight cut gears with syncro rings or dog engagement as well as helical gears with syncro rings or dog engagement.

The 02J is what is considered a constant mesh gearbox, IE all gears are always meshing with their counter parts. This however is not true with reverse gear. For reverse gear to work an idler gear has to engage it's corresponding mating gears, thus no syncronizer is required, and also why if the car is moving you generally cannot engage reverse easily.
hmm forget about sync gears, does our reverse gear make that whining noise because it's a straight cut gear?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Serious interest.

I suppose you could promote this by modifying "Six Days on the Road" to include "Six forward gears thank you bora parts online" ... the rest of the song is rather fitting for most of us megamilers.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Short update - one of our main guys (one man show) just had his dad die, he's the sole dealer on the estate and is tied up in family affairs. Unfortunately this is pushing things back a little bit, I'm sorry I don't have more information at this time. Doing my best...
Thanks,
-BB

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Thanks for all that you all are doing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your friend who's father has passed, family first. looking forward to more updates.