Starter motor spinning with IGNITION OFF and KEY REMOVED???

TDITALIAN

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Slv, 5 spd 1999.5 Silver Jetta Sedan 5spd
RUNAWAY Starter motor spinning with ignition KEY REMOVED???

Wife went out this morning to start the car (99.5 Jetta 5 speed tranny) and ran into the house saying "the car doesn't start and strange noise coming from engine compartment" even with ignition key in hand.:eek:

Upon immediate inspection I found the starter motor spinning unengaged from the flywheel. Didn't want to burn out starter motor so I disconnected the batttery and spinning stopped. But once I reconnect the battery cable noise immediately restarts regardless if the key is in ignition or not. :confused::confused:

Has anyone had this problem or could tell me where to start troubleshooting??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

TDITALIAN

TDI
Where could I find the starter relay?? Thanks Antsrcool!!

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
If the starter is spinning without turning the engine over, then the switch on the back of the starter solenoid is stuck "on". You can pull the starter and take the solenoid apart to see what the problem is, or get a replacement.

-Rich

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Sounds like stuck solenoid. Might be risky but if you can safely get under the car and reach the starter motor try tapping on with a screw driver handle and see if it stops. Either way, something will have to be replaced. It would not be good if you or your wife went somewhere and then the starter motor wouldn't engage.

Also, I don't know if the solenoid is on the starter motor or not. If it isn't try finding the solenoid by tracing the wires and then do the tapping if you can safely reach it.

TDITALIAN

TDI
BINGO Rich & Timmy

If the starter is spinning without turning the engine over, then the switch on the back of the starter solenoid is stuck "on". You can pull the starter and take the solenoid apart to see what the problem is, or get a replacement.

-Rich
Thanks a million Rich and Timmy! I think you hit the nail on the head!! The problem must be the starter solenoid because I lightly tapped on it with a hammer a few times and the spinning stopped. I started the car several times and it seems to be fine now!!

I need some opinions on what to do about the solenoid. Should I replace it, clean it or leave as is??

What causes it to stick??

Has it happen to any other TDI club members??

Thanks again Fellas!! :D

Last edited:

TDITALIAN

TDI
Sounds like stuck solenoid. Might be risky but if you can safely get under the car and reach the starter motor try tapping on with a screw driver handle and see if it stops. Either way, something will have to be replaced. It would not be good if you or your wife went somewhere and then the starter motor wouldn't engage.

Also, I don't know if the solenoid is on the starter motor or not. If it isn't try finding the solenoid by tracing the wires and then do the tapping if you can safely reach it.
Thanks Timmy. Solenoid is on the top of the starter. Could it be replaced without removing it from the car?? Thanks again!

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Thanks Timmy. Solenoid is on the top of the starter. Could it be replaced without removing it from the car?? Thanks again!

Don't have an answer for that one - sorry. I don't see why it couldn't be replaced without removing it from car if you can reach it ok. Also, is the solenoid its own part or only comes with a starter. I did a quick search and couldn't find the solenoid by itself - I also didn't search very long. I might think about removing the starter (they can be heavier then they seem) and take it to a shop that specializes in starters/alternator rebuilds and see what they can do. That might be a cheaper route.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
The starter should be removed to be disassembled. You will need to remove the battery and battery tray, and the belly pan under the car. Unplug the solenoid signal wire, then remove the battery cable from the large stud on the solenoid. There will be a plastic cover on the stud covering the nut tht holds the cable that should pop off with a screwdriver. Then, there are 2 13mm nuts that hold brackets to the starter bolts, then 2 18mm head bolts (you'll need a deep socket for those) to remove, and the starter is yours.

I agree with Timmy that the 2 best options are to take it to a rebuilder, or get a reman one from an auto parts store. My NAPA and Parts Plus stores both have them on the shelf for me with a 1 year warranty...

-Rich