What tow hitch to use?

tyler_01_TDi

TDI
13 Sportwagen. Previously 01 Golf
I would like to set my ‘01 TDi Golf up to tow a utility trailer in order to do odd jobs and such. I am trying to decide which hitch to get, Factory/ Bosal or Hidden Hitch(or the like).

I originally wanted to get the Factory/Bosal hitch and I actually have a post up right now trying to find a used one (not much luck there). I know it is VW approved and it mounts right on the car without the need to drill holes.

After researching it a bit more I am wondering if the Hidden Hitch type might be a better option. I read my VW owners manual and they say that an ’01 TDi’s max tow capacity is 1000lb. (An ’01 174hp 6 cylinder can tow up to 1500lb). The Hidden Hitch type can tow up to 2000lbs so that should work. The other drawback I thought of for the Bosal hitch is that it doesn’t have a square receiver tube which means, if I wanted to in the future, I wouldn’t be able to get a hitch mount anything (like a bike rack or cargo carrier). The ball on a Bosal hitch is also metric (50mm) which I think would work fine with things made for a 2 inch ball but I am not sure since I have never tried it. I also read on tdiparts.com that the Bosal hitch is not DOT approved.

I am hoping to get some advise from someone that has experience using both. Let me know which hitch you think is better.

Thanks,

Tyler

Advantages of Bosal:
  • No drilling to mount
  • 3300- 3500 lb towing capacity (depending on where you look)
Disadvantages of Bosal: