Alarm keeps going off on 2006.5 Jetta

pdmcadams

TDI
2006+ manual
Hello --

I have a new Jetta that has a problem with the car alarm -- it goes off intermittently without obvious provocation. As far as I can tell, it only happens at night. I thought it might be related to rain but it has happened on dry nights, too. I think this is related, but not sure -- I went away for a week, came back and the battery was dead. I jump started the car without difficulty but that night was the first time that I noticed the alarm going off. In retrospect, I wonder if the alarm going off multiple times per night for a week drained the battery. Otherwise, everything seems to work fine. I guess 2006.5 is the right terminology -- picked it up about a month ago. The manuals say 2007, VIN says 2006. Car has 2007 options i.e. tire pressure monitor included in package #1. Took it to the dealer who said that he checked the alarm using a diagnostic computer but no errors were noted. Gave it back to me today and it has already alarmed once this evening... The only current fix to let me and the neighbors sleep is to leave it unlocked and thus unalarmed. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PDM

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
If you can find someone in your area with a VAG-COM you can disable the alarm. You can also have the VAG-COM test all of the sensors for the alarm in the car to make sure they are working right.

pdmcadams

TDI
2006+ manual
Jealous... I couldn't find a spice red anywhere and the factory had switched to salsa red -- too red for me... Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. At this point, I would rather that the alarm be fixed and work properly. Shouldn't the dealer be using the equivalent of VAG-COM? At least at the first atempt they didn't identify any fault codes.

PDM

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Park it next to the service department at the selling VW dealer and arm it.

and when there done fixing it tell them to put a new battery in it as that one now has had its life shortened.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
pdmcadams said:
Hello --

I have a new Jetta that has a problem with the car alarm -- it goes off intermittently without obvious provocation. As far as I can tell, it only happens at night. I thought it might be related to rain but it has happened on dry nights, too. I think this is related, but not sure -- I went away for a week, came back and the battery was dead. I jump started the car without difficulty but that night was the first time that I noticed the alarm going off. In retrospect, I wonder if the alarm going off multiple times per night for a week drained the battery. Otherwise, everything seems to work fine. I guess 2006.5 is the right terminology -- picked it up about a month ago. The manuals say 2007, VIN says 2006. Car has 2007 options i.e. tire pressure monitor included in package #1. Took it to the dealer who said that he checked the alarm using a diagnostic computer but no errors were noted. Gave it back to me today and it has already alarmed once this evening... The only current fix to let me and the neighbors sleep is to leave it unlocked and thus unalarmed. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PDM
I perceive that you sleep on the couch, with the key (fob) in your pocket... Correct?

Other than that, I can't think of the cause for your problem.

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the Jetta alarm include a shock sensor? I used to have a car w/one, and there were several settings you could use. Living in the city at that time w/city busses and Harleys driving around, it would go off constantly. By selecting the lower sensitivity level I found that there was still adequate tamper protection with barely any false alarms.

Anyway - if the Jetta has one of these, it may need to be set at a lower level. I would try to make it false alarm by slapping the glass. If that doesn't cause it to go off, find the door switches which trigger the alarm. Possibly one of those switches is shorting or just not set correctly. Barring that, I'd raise a fit with the dealership. Have one of their Service Managers drive it home for a couple of days - I'm sure it will get the attention it deserves.

Rob

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If you can find someone in your area with a VAG-COM you can disable the alarm. You can also have the VAG-COM test all of the sensors for the alarm in the car to make sure they are working right.
How? Do you have a link to disabling it? I have VAG-COM, but cannot find instructions. I want it dead, very dead.

Kyosho618

TDI
2005.5 JETTA TDI, 2012 PASSAT TDI SEL
Try to unplug the hood latch sensor...or look at the mfd if you have a high line to see what door latch is defective. My hood latch was defective and had the same symptoms every day. After I unplugged it, it’s been peaceful nights for 2 years! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The easiest way to not arm the alarm is to open the R/F door and hit the lock switch on the door and then close the R/F door. Car will be lock without the alarm being armed.

Most likely cause is a micro-switch in the drivers door latch or chaffed/broken wires between the drivers door and "A" pillar.