For sale: 2002 VW Jetta tdi automatic, SC $1500

trowelbyfar

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI manual
I would like some advice on selling this vehicle. Not sure if I should lower the price, fix the issues, or try to part it out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
No power to the ac compressor is likely related to the low pressure switch in the system, which disables the system if the pressure is too low to protect the compressor.

That engine has a requirement of a new T- belt every 60000 miles when it was new. That is likely why it broke.

If you do fix it, it will likely have a cold start issues when it gets really cold because whether you realize it or not, you probably damage those pistons enough to lower the compression.

The real factor on fixing that car would be what shape is the automatic transmission. Do you have any documentation on it being replaced was a fluid change or flushed out regularly.

How likely are you to put a manual transmission swap in there that would be a nice car if you did that if you fix the engine and it ran, okay? You already have the 11 millimeter pump, so will make it run even better with that stick.

At that age withthat transmission, you're about double what the price should be for most of us, or what most of us will be willing to pay on that car in that condition. With that automatic transmission, age not miles are that cars issue at this point.....that trans was by designed had a life , expected life span of 10 years or ~150k miles, whichever was reached first.....and our crowd knows this....

Good luck

Last edited:

trowelbyfar

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI manual
Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think the "missing" issue I'm having is possibly due to low compression, or is it more likely injector related?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would try to fix some of that minor stuff. Because I know (because I have bought and sold more cars that most people would in a lifetime) that little things get people hung up on an otherwise decent A to B car.

Even with a slushbox, if someone needs cheap frugal transportation, it is a good car. I'd buy it for $1200 if I were in the market. But I would if I were you try and sort out the tail lights, the A/C, and maybe the gauges. Those are likely all easy fixes, once you find the problem.

I sold a gasser Jetta exactly like that, a 2003, same color and everything, for $1900 late last year. Everything was working, and that was a gasser.

trowelbyfar

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI manual
Sold for $1200 to a tdi club member with intentions of building it. Glad it's going for that purpose. Hope it goes well for him.

Thanks for the advice, oilhammer. I might have been inclined to keep working at its issues, except my wife was tired of having it around. You know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life."