ALH into '82 bus

Automotive8

TDI
T4 ACV TDI
Hello,

I'm prepairing to put an ALH 1.9TDI into a '82 Vanagon/Eurovan pickup connected to a 5 speed Renault UN1 gearbox. I'm going to mount the engine under a 90 degrees angle similar to the Eurospec setup:

http://eurospecsport.com/products/Vanagon/Vanagon%20Page.html

Unfortunately I have an ALH engine without any wiring harness and ECU from a '99 new beetle.

I'm now thinking of two options:

Option 1:
Using 1Z/AHU wiring harness and 1Z/AHU ECU without immobilizer.

Option 2:
Using ALH wiring harness and ALH ECU with immobilizer ring.

My question is if it is possible to run an ALH with a 1Z/AHU ECU, due to the ALH having a VTG turbo and the 1Z/AHU doesn't.

I'm hoping to use the 1Z/AHU wiring harness because they're more common to find at the junkyard than the ALH.

thanks in advanced for all your replies

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
You can use a VNT turbo with the 1Z setup. You'll need a later type N75 valve as well as different (custom) software. This is common as the VNT turbo is a common upgrade for the 1Z.

I'm curious to follow your progress, especially with regards to the transaxle you're using.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!

Mark

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
I am fairly sure that the ALH delivered in the US in 98 and part of 99 did not have the immobilizer. I am running an ALH from a 98 New Beetle. It has an 80 pin ECU. I used the majority of the stock vanagon wiring, ignition switch, and cluster. I did not have a donor vehicle either and had to purchase the two engine harnesses new from the dealer. This might be an option for you. Search Andy Bees in the conversion thread. He is currently installing an ALH in his Vanagon and I believe he is keeping the immobilzer and using the Jetta instrument cluster. The tuners from what I have read can also disable the immobilzer, but it can't be done with the VagCom/VCDS software. mark

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
The tuners from what I have read can also disable the immobilzer, but it can't be done with the VagCom/VCDS software. mark

This is correct, any good tuner can disable the immobilizer. The ECM might need to be sent off to them to get the initial immobilizer deleted, but after that you will never have to worry about it again. You could also get a mild tune at the same time.