Mahindra diesel coming to the gas station near you

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
Tired of waiting around for an official launch date for the hotly anticipated (in certain circles, at least) compact diesel pickup truck from Indian automaker Mahindra? Good news, then. According to a report from Automotive News, the largest utility vehicle maker in India and its U.S. distributor, Global Vehicles, will make an official announcement regarding the targeted sale date of the Pik-Up within the next two-to-three weeks.

Before you get too excited, realize that Mahindra only hopes to announce a launch date – when that date will actually be is still anyone's guess. In fact, Mahindra President Pawan Goenka said in an interview that the vehicle is still undergoing Environmental Protection Agency testing here in the States and an official application to allow the truck to be sold here has yet to take place. The truck could also receive a new name by the time it comes to market in the States.

Following the Pik-Up's official launch in the U.S., Mahindra plans to continue focusing on its export markets with a new SUV designed specifically for the European and North American markets. Judging by how long it's taken to get its first model on the market, though, we'll keep our excitement bottled up for the time being.

:eek: original is here http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/05/report-mahindra-to-set-u-s-pik-up-launch-date-in-next-few-week/

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
picture gallery

check this interesting picture gallery

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/mahindra-pik-up/

our 1996 Ford Ranger is almost dead and I want to replace it with the diesel pick up that is not 6 or 8 L and can move my house upon a light touch of an accelerator. VW used to sell little cute pick up, anyone remembers if it was petrol or diesel powered beastie? :confused:

Peter

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
there are many, many Mahindra threads already
was another one needed
just to announce that a date would be announced
delay delay delay
just like the Crosslander

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Oberkanone said:
there are many, many Mahindra threads already
was another one needed
just to announce that a date would be announced
delay delay delay
just like the Crosslander
Unless i see them invest some actual money in this market, this is still a couple years out. They haven't even passed the EPA test yet, a big challenge in the US. I just don't see them being able to compete with one vehicale, the marketing money and dealer servicing would kill what ever profit they hope to have.

Helmut3

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
People are not understanding basic things. Diesel cars will never come to US, except for few german ones, of which only VW offers affordable and manual transmission. period.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
Helmut3 said:
People are not understanding basic things. Diesel cars will never come to US, except for few german ones, of which only VW offers affordable and manual transmission. period.
Why is that? I always wondered why the general US public seems to dislike diesels.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
pgenis said:
VW used to sell little cute pick up, anyone remembers if it was petrol or diesel powered beastie? :confused:
Peter
VW pickups were sold in the US circa 1980 - 1983. Gas or Diesel. Mine is a 1982 1.6 liter diesel with a 5 speed. Odometer is just under 300k. MPG is impressive if one stays around 55-60(difficult on the left coast).
Were a new version of this durable fuel efficient little trucklet available, I'd do it all over again.
all the best, ez....