2018 equinox diesel

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
7,000 miles driven average fuel economy is 42mpg.I also got on fuelly and am tracking the miles and fill ups there for the benefit of the masses. Only thing that sucks is adding def i figure 2.5 gallons per 3,000 miles give or take.
Thank you sir for entering your MPG data into Fuelly! A FE of 42 MPG is excellent for an SUV. It will beat the Toyota RAV4 hybrid by a good margin (32 based on Fuelly vs. 42 MPG). How does the Equinox MPG do under load with passengers and cargo?

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Do they at least have adjustable head rests? The previous generation had horrible seats, and the head rests were in a fixed position that was both uncomfortable and dangerous. A few of my relatives were rear ended in one of the older ones, it didn't end well.
We just got an Equinox Premier last week with the leather seats. Extremely supportive, almost stiff seats with better bolsters than my Volt, about like my 2009 Jetta, not as "tight" as the latest JSW or GSW seats but I found those pinch my back. Headrests are just like VW in the front, adjustable and foldable in the back. Basically, they're taking on every car wagon or compact SUV in that price range, you'll find it handles as well as or better than any compact SUV up to the Mazda CX-5 (according to reviews) and has all the same features as the competition (plus a better infotainment center). The 6 speed auto is tuned for economy so you have to mash it to go, but it goes once you understand how to make it take you seriously. We went from the Jetta wagon directly to this and really didn't have to change driving style, yeah it's taller but it it's confident without excessive body roll. They did a good job on it.

Things I miss, manual tranny, that little red map light and in some places VW level quality interior materials and fit. However in some ways GM showed they're hungry and exceeded in clearly American ways like ventilated seats, a place to stow the sliding cargo cover bar under the floor, seats that fold flat and clearly American bucketloads of storage cubbies.

Also came with an oil pan heater cable :D

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Surprises in the Equinox / stuff that doesn't get much press.

Auto reverse tilt side mirrors.
Not only does the rear view mirror auto dim, the driver mirror does too.
Transmission can detect you're going down a steep grade and downshift for compression braking.
Has active cabin noise cancelling.
One of those kick under the bumper rear hatch opener thingies.
The radiator has louvers that close to increase aerodynamics.
Automatic engine start / stop at traffic lights in a diesel is really remarkable, works flawlessly.
Refined traction control allows more slippage in snow to counter the tendency of traction control systems putting the brakes on all drive wheels when they're all slipping - stopping the car. (this did get press, I saw a review video of it).
Panoramic sunroof has a solid shade instead of a droopy screen (that will fall on you after 7 years in a VW).
Two position rear seats / slightly reclining.
Approved for B20 fuel, is noted in the manual.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Nice reviews Jaestar. My rental last week had very few of those options. Not surprised about the stiffer seats. That was one thing my wife didn't like about the new canyon we test drove.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jaestar, the features you mentioned are mostly unique to the Premier. What was the MSRP on that vehicle?

thorp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
Congrats Jeastar.
I came "dangerously" close to buying this Equinox ($38K out the door). I think it has every option available. One big turn off for me was that this particular vehicle was featured in the LA Auto Show. It had close to 300 miles on it, a dented trim piece on the right rear door and a paint chip. I'm grateful now that I learned about this before signing -- motivated me to walk.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...hRadius=100&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=EQUINOX
The Equinox TDs are feature rich and well thought out. The storage space with seats folded is excellent. i'm back to searching for a used low mile 15' Passat TDI that is more in my price range ($20K).

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
We got out the door for about $36K due to waiting the dealer out and significant incentives this month, plus end of quarter and indeed it has every freaking option on it. However I do think this will be the price most people will pay for the diesel. The base models are flying off the lot but these TDs are going to sit a while waiting for the right customer to want an AWD, TD, Premier with a sunroof when the un-educated will go for the 2.0L version instead (requires premium fuel, yuck). Ours sat around over 100 days. Seems like a lot but it's about the same as a Rav4 hybrid or really any others with AWD at top trim. The diesel LT with the sunroof is the real bargain here, those are going for well under $30k.

Oh, MSRP was $42k on this one and I got it 300 miles away.

@indigobluewagon, really only the mirrors and rear hatch I mentioned are exclusive. Everything else is either standard or common on the LT, which is the base level on the diesel (I think).

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Thorp, since we got ours out of state only from pictures it already had 100 miles on it, a door ding, was missing the blue TD badge on the back and dumb out of state front license plate holder. Our dealer fixed it all (plus all weather mats thrown in for our troubles) so you probably could have made out like a bandit on that one.

I think I got so used to dealing with TDIs (with manual trans) selling at a premium with little bargaining power, I didn't realize how far bent over backwards a US auto dealer will go to put the keys in your hand. All the reviews say the Equinox is overpriced, I think that too, but fortunately doesn't look like MSRP is even close to what you'll pay.

thorp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
Jaestar, thanks for the additional info. You really did some smart negotiating. I failed to mention that the one I was looking at was only 2 wheel drive, not AWD. The dealer I was working with ended up quoting $500 below Costco pricing. Should I pursue an Equinox TD in the future I will now be better informed regarding what a good deal really looks like.

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Yeah, no AWD is a deal breaker, I'm with you.

Did a 200 mile trip this weekend. The car computer's MPG avg for the trip was 41.5 at 60 - 75 mph. Not bad for a bigass vehicle. However, the first tank averaged 32 MPG and shy of 500 miles (didn't have a pen to write it down) which I hope gets better after it gets in a routine. The seats are real firm but it was nice to be eye to eye with all the other SUVs on the road.

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I see nobody is really talking about GMCs uglier Terrain version with its weird transmission push buttons. If it turns out to be a dud, could be a real bargain at the end of the year.

Kite_rider

TDI
2010 JSW
I see nobody is really talking about GMCs uglier Terrain version with its weird transmission push buttons. If it turns out to be a dud, could be a real bargain at the end of the year.
Well, I just pulled the trigger on one. I actually think the Terrain looks much better than the Equinox. Got my TurboDiesel Terrain for $26,500 out the door! Already liking it much better than my 2010 JSW TDI.
AWD and ground clearance are features I've been wanting for a long time. And although I only have about 100 miles on my new car - it seems to be getting better fuel economy than my VW!

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Just picked up my 2018 Terrain SLE Diesel AWD last week. Got it for about 9K+ under sticker. It had a few features that the Equinox did not (leather wrapped steering wheel, power tailgate, auto-dimming mirror, roof rails) plus better looking wheels. I liked the overall look of the GMC better than the Chevy and the deal made the price difference really small.
The Terrains do not get XM radio standard unless you get the Infotainment package which gets you the XM, navigation, bigger screen, and 110V outlet.
Have an appointment to turn in my Passat in 2 weeks. Not a direct replacement, but my needs have changed - we needed an SUV with AWD.
GM is keeping the Terrain/Equinox Diesels as a big secret. You come to the dealer for a test drive and they have to figure out where they put it on their lot - usually way in the back covered in dust. Mine was sitting on the lot since November.
Most salespeople will know nothing about diesel. Majority claimed it had a 9 speed auto instead of the 6 speed.
So far I like the car (have about 800 miles now). It is not a rocket, but it moves. Looking forward to the AWD in the winter.
The most annoying feature is the auto-stop, which cannot seem to be disabled - I use L6 instead of Drive.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
The transmission for the diesels are the same 6-speed auto in both. The Equinox has the traditional console shifter while the Terrain has the little buttons in front of the console - P/R/N/D/L. This gives the Terrain more space for the cup holders and console room.
Also, all AWD Equinox/Terrain have a switch for FWD/AWD/off-road. I used to think that all AWD vehicles, by definition, have no switches, but these do. I guess this is just to let you drive around in FWD mode during the summer and save gas and wear on the front shaft/differential. Just don't forget to turn it to AWD for the snow (you can switch while moving).

Chris Thomas

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold to VW bought a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado diesel to replace it.(wanted AWD and work at a GM dealership)
AWD switch

The switch in the center console controls the rear differential control module. The rear differential clutch control modules function is to control the electronic open differential. The rear differential control module receives a torque command signal from the chassis control module (CCM) according to the driving situation to achieve vehicle dynamics and traction.
When the torque signal is received, the rear differential control module actuates the following components the rear differential clutch motor.
The hydraulic piston engages the clutch to allow torque to the open differential.:) Looked at the Equinox but decided to keep the Colorado diesel for now(too many toys that need trailers.:D

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
There are appealing manufacturers rebates right now, like $7-9K off and super financing. My wife is in the market for a Q5 (3.2V6) replacement and we are going to check these out.

We currently have a 2015 GSW 6pd TDI so the Equinox isnt THAT much bigger interior but the extra ride hight and AWD are things she's is very interested in. I think with a little tuning magic this 1.6 could be a really nice everyday/cruising engine. Im better we will see a tune that gives 50hp and 75tq netting a respectable driver even in a CUV suit.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I wonder how this model would stand up to sustained gravel road all weather driving? Rocks and mud, bumps, potholes... I do about 20k miles a year for work, about a third on gravel and the rest on poor quality paving. I've been driving a 2007 Toyota 4Runner for this purpose for nearly 4 years - holds up well but very thirsty.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Your answer is in looking at the underpinnings of both vehicles. I think the Equinox is based off the Cruze, or maybe Impala. The 4-Runner is based off the Tacoma. That truck frame is going to take a lot more abuse. If you want something more economical, then look at the 1500 diesels. Rams are on the lot, Fords are supposed to be available, and GM is supposed to be out by the end of the year. All are going to get EPA ratings in the upper 20s to 30 mpg. You also have the Canyon/Colorado diesels that are a little cheaper.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think RAM Ecodiesels are available this year. They will be in the refreshed '19, but not yet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They're on the lots as new 2018. 2019s are supposed to be out after the first of the year.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Right you are. I can see them on cars.com, but not on the RAM website. Interesting.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Some of the 2017 Cruze diesels with LT/leather/heated-steering and stickshift sold for $17260 out the door, via "red tag". Same for 2018s.
Maybe there are still some new 2018s gathering dust at dealerships somewhere, with the same red-tag 25% or 30% off.

Recently my son bought two new GM diesels, a 2017 GMC Canyon diesel plus a 2018 cruze diesel stickshift, reminding me how I hoarded a pair of the last 2006 VW TDIs, a beetle DSG and a Jetta stickshift. :)

In diesel Cadillac non-surprising news: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/cadillac-puts-diesels-hold-289865/

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wonder how this model would stand up to sustained gravel road all weather driving? Rocks and mud, bumps, potholes... I do about 20k miles a year for work, about a third on gravel and the rest on poor quality paving. I've been driving a 2007 Toyota 4Runner for this purpose for nearly 4 years - holds up well but very thirsty.
Your answer is in looking at the underpinnings of both vehicles. I think the Equinox is based off the Cruze, or maybe Impala. The 4-Runner is based off the Tacoma. That truck frame is going to take a lot more abuse. If you want something more economical, then look at the 1500 diesels. Rams are on the lot, Fords are supposed to be available, and GM is supposed to be out by the end of the year. All are going to get EPA ratings in the upper 20s to 30 mpg. You also have the Canyon/Colorado diesels that are a little cheaper.
Equinox is a D2 platform vehicle, same as Cruze.

How many cars and car-based CUVs do you see on those roads?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Equinox is a D2 platform vehicle, same as Cruze.

How many cars and car-based CUVs do you see on those roads?
My guess is that most of the CUVs are on car based platforms.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think what GoFaster was getting at is whether or not CUVs seem to survive on the roads the OP is driving. If he sees a lot of them perhaps they do and an Equinox may be OK. If not he might be better off with a truck-based SUV.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My guess is that most of the CUVs are on car based platforms.

I think that is kind of the definition of a 'CUV', isn't it? :p

Although many of them are a pretty loose basis. The CRV is based on a Civic, as was the Element, but you really have to know where to look underneath them to see anything in common.

A lot of the newer vehicles are really blurring the lines between car and truck. Vehicles like the current Explorer, Pathfinder, anything at the Jeep dealer besides the Wrangler, etc. are actually proving themselves reasonably capable on moderate off-pavement places, and let's be honest. How many Tahoe, Expedition, 4Runner, etc. owners truly really ever take their vehicles "off road"?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My neighbor has a honda ridgeline- talk about blurring the lines. My other neighbor thinks the ridgeline is great and might get one as his next vehicle. I think it's a lousy car, and a worse truck. My road was dirt for the 40 years I've lived here, until they paved it last week. The golf never complained. Well, maybe once or twice when the road got rutted and muddy in the spring.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the Ridgeline, which is essentially a lengthened Honda Pilot with a stunted little bed, is very loosely based on the Accord... but they have really very little in common.

However, I would argue that the Ridgeline would meet the uses of the vast majority of half-ton pickup owners. Driving around with the driver and maybe one or two other occupants, rarely using the bed for much of anything, rarely if ever using it to tow anything substantial, and rarely ever going off road beyond maybe an unpaved surface.

But, like the Ranchero, El Camino, Baja, etc. it tries too hard to be perhaps too many things that it fails to be any one thing exceptionally well. I have to admit, though, the Ridgeline does drive really nice and is pretty roomy inside. If it is a vehicle that somehow checks your needs boxes and you want one, I see no problem with it. It is far nicer to drive/feed/maintain/park than an F150.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's a fair point- most people driving pickups aren't hauling anything 90% of the time. I guess I'm just not a fan of the el camino/ranchero/brat/ridgeline type vehicles. What some see as the best of both worlds, I see as an unsightly compromise. Maybe it's the looks that bother me. I do like the rabbit pickups and jeep Comanche, which are both unibody pickups.