Turbo for better MPG

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Won't matter either way. I've taken pressure measurements at the turbo outlet with an OEM DP with CAT and a full 3" DP and there is no measurable difference unless you're at full throttle and over 2500 RPM - not a condition where you are concerned about MPG's.

Insure your cat is not plugged.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Any news with that GTC1549VZ from CR170? Did someone fitted to an 1.9? I'm thinking of it in comparison with gtb1756vk and 2056VL for max 200HP at FW, better spool and better fuel economy when not using "sport mode" on an A4 B6 PD130 AVF.

I know that BV43 PD170 is P&P on my car but I heard that BV43 turbo's are weaker than Garret. Also for Garret I can always repair it at a decent price.

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
What type of turbo setup will impact MPG in a positive way? Will boost at lower rpm improve mpg? Will a bigger setup allow better breathing? Does the bigger downpipe (2.5 vs 2.0) help?
By the way I have a AHU engine so my choices are more limited than the ALH.
For cruise and all conditions below an IQ around 25 less boost is better. This means you don't need a bigger turbo, just good turbo control via variable geometry. "opening vanes" and reducing boost in the areas where economy is needed reduces exhaust back pressure (pumping losses). Just enough boost to maintain a 'no smoke' AFR and no more is needed. There are minor trade off's which may never be felt in normal driving mode related to building boost when extra fuel is injected 'in a hurry'.

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Now the battle between 2 turbos for better mileage continues for me. I have to choose between Gtb2056vl and gtb1756vk for my A4 AVF 1.9tdi with Fmic and egr delete. Which one is better for normal driving? The power goal is the limit of the injectors with both turbos, around 200Hp.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Now the battle between 2 turbos for better mileage continues for me. I have to choose between Gtb2056vl and gtb1756vk for my A4 AVF 1.9tdi with Fmic and egr delete. Which one is better for normal driving? The power goal is the limit of the injectors with both turbos, around 200Hp.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade from the stock vnt 15 turbo.

Did you ever choose one of those turbos? What were your results?

Thanks
Andrew