Cheapest 507 00 oil?

jabbejokker

TDI
None, yet
I would like to know:

Not what you use, not what you think is best, nor how many miles your last car lasted on xyz oil.

But

How little it costs and where to get it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Why cheap out on the lifeblood of the engine

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Why cheap out on the lifeblood of the engine
So you're saying that if FLAPS #1 charges $8.00/qt and FLAPS #2 charges $9.00/qt of, say Mobil 1, then the oil purchased at #1 is worse for your TDI because you "cheaped out" by not buying from #2. :confused:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jabbe, welcome aboard. Any/all 507.00 oil is rated for a 10,000 mile interval in a VW CRD TDI.

Last edited:

UTAH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI/DSG
How little it costs and where to get it.
For some of us it depends on where we live and what options are available. I have two choices here - the VW/Audi dealer or buying Mobil 1 ESP at Pepboys.

Pepboys (Mobil 1) $9.99 qt
Dealer (Castrol) $10.75 qt

I've found the 507 oil online for less, but shipping costs would more than eat the savings.

Bill

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Often the least expensive 507 oil is the one that is on sale. I have paid everywhere between $5.99 to $8.99 per liter for Mobil 1 ESP at PepBoys. They occasionally have Mobil 1 on sale. When it is on sale, I stock up. Other than PepBoys and the dealer, your only other good choice is buy online and pay shipping. These online prices vary depending on brand of oil and the online vendor. You will have to compare vendors and see what they each charge.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
MBZ Dealer

:)

Check out your local MBZ dealer for Mobil 1 Formula 'M'

Our local dealer retails it for $7.95 per quart.

:D

Derrel

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
So you're saying that if FLAPS #1 charges $8.00/qt and FLAPS #2 charges $9.00/qt of, say Mobil 1, then the oil purchased at #1 is worse for your TDI because you "cheaped out" by not buying from #2. :confused:
No thats just being stupid. I'm meant " For the sake of a few bucks every oil change why not go with the best....if a few bucks extra is gonna put ya in the poor house better take the bus

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
My VW Dealer sold me some of the Castrol SLX Pro for $7.95/Ltr. I'd call your local Vw/Audi Dealers and see what you can find.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 still has that same MB spec as the "M" plus the VW 507, so many here say it's good enough.

jabbejokker

TDI
None, yet
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. A picture will be up soon.

It seems like the best bet is to look for a deal on M1 or Pennsoil since their sales usually cover the entire range and those are high volume brands. The trick would be to find a vendor that carries the special formulas for 2010+ TDI's. One person mentioned Pepboys. Unfortunately we don't have many of those in FL.

I know oil is a very emotional subject as proven by a couple of posters who seem almost offended by my inquiry. Here is some food for thought. The company I work for leases power from Rolls Royce. Each engine unit is worth several million dollars, yet they still shop around for best value on fuels and lubricants. As long as it meets or exceeds manufacturer specifications it is ok.

Thanks again.

UTAH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI/DSG
the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 still has that same MB spec as the "M" plus the VW 507, so many here say it's good enough.
Yes, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is a VW certified 507 oil.

The poster was recommending the use of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 which is NOT a VW certified 507 oil.

Keep in mind the OP requested info on 507 oils.

Bill

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fwiw

Yes, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is a VW certified 507 oil.

The poster was recommending the use of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 which is NOT a VW certified 507 oil.

[True indeed, but just exactly what are the differences IF any? :confused: ]

Keep in mind the OP requested info on 507 oils.

Bill

Goes to show that there are many posters here who DO NOT KNOW what they are talking about. :(

Many of the 'smarter' oil gerus prefer 5W-40 oils for the VW TDIs.

What are the big differences between the so-called recommended 5W-30 and
Mobil 1 Formula 'M' 5W-40?
Many say that there are no differences between them and in fact prefer the Mobil 1 Formula 'M'
because it is better!
Some say that the VW recommended 5W-30 is closer to being 5W-38.

So for me, any 507.00 or 229.51 rated oil is good, and for my current ride, 229.51 Mobil 1
Formula 'M' is what the MBZ dealers are using, and IF it is good enough
for a CDI Benz, isn't it 'good enough' for a VW TDI? :confused:

Derrel

UTAH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI/DSG
IF it is good enough for a CDI Benz, isn't it 'good enough' for a VW TDI?
No.

My new TDI is under warranty. And, Audi specifically specs a 507 oil for it.

Do you seriously think I'm going to risk invalidating my warranty because you and some others here think a non-507 oil is "good enough?"

For the sake of our future interactions, I'll try and disregard the juvenile comments about which of us is smarter. I don't see why you have to go there. This is merely one of many technical discussions in this forum and there will be many more.

Bill

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Formula 'M' is what the MBZ dealers are using, and IF it is good enough
for a CDI Benz, isn't it 'good enough' for a VW TDI? :confused:

Derrel
Not necessarily... MB engines (at least the ones sold here) do not have unit injectors run by the camshaft that forced the lobes for the valves to suddenly become thinner like the PD engines. Also, MB allows for flexible service (ASSYST+) on models sold here, are equipped with an oil level monitor (regardless of ASSYST or ASSYST+ equipment), hold much more oil (V6 Sprinters hold 11 liters!) and usually rev slower.

However, it is generally regarded that the 229.51 spec is actually tougher to meet than the 505.01 spec, yet is also rated as 'low ash DPF safe' like the 507.00 spec.

That is why I like Pentosin products, as they generally meet more, as does the Castrol products.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
good for your MB, but he's askin for his TDI, so your respons is still kinda pointless as it isn't what the OP requested.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Differences of Opinion

However, it is generally regarded that the 229.51 spec is actually tougher to meet than the 505.01 spec, yet is also rated as 'low ash DPF safe' like the 507.00 spec.

This is not a discussion on who is smarter or not, but which oil is best for the TDIs.

I like Mobil 1 and have used it since it first came on the market in the late seventies.

For my CDI, even though there were no DPFs until 2007, MBZ
recommends 229.51 Mobil 1 Formula 'M' so that's what I use.

Like I have said before above, there are oil gerus who know a lot more about
oils than I will ever know and therefore, I go by their recommendations!

For the OP, he has a new car and has free oil changes up to 40K miles.
After that, the oil he uses will be his choice and he can use whatever.

How could a VW or Audi dealer be able to able to tell whether
you have Castrol or Mobil 1 in your crankcase? :confused:

Derrel

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
OK, let me see if I have this right...Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 IS 507.00 rated, but Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 ISN'T 507.00 rated? No wonder there is so much confusion about what to buy. Can anyone here post a definitave CURRENT list of 507.00 rated oils? I am still under warranty oil changes, but I need to know what is 'legitimate' oil if only to be able to check that the dealer installed oil is correct....at least until I start doing it myself.

Actually, I wish such a list was sticky and maintained by the moderaters....

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen regularly puts out TSBs with all the approved oils... but it is a giant list, many (most) of the oils listed are not even available here.

People here really seem to make this out to be a much bigger issue than they should... I wish my life was so free from stress as to worry about the oil in my crankcases so much, LOL! :p

Just find the correct oil, and stick with it. Just think ahead, so you have extra on hand if needed. Not a big deal.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Seems I recall seeing that list lately, but didn't it have a combined column header of "505.00/507.00" ??? What good is that???

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A Little Clarification Here.

OK, let me see if I have this right . . Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 IS 507.00 rated,
but Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 ISN'T 507.00 rated? [Yes but . . ]
No wonder there is so much confusion about what to buy.
Can anyone here post a definitave CURRENT list of 507.00 rated oils?
I am still under warranty oil changes, but I need to know what is 'legitimate' oil if only to be
able to check that the dealer installed oil is correct . . . at least until I start doing it myself.

Actually, I wish such a list was sticky and maintained by the moderaters. . .

When we view the back of the Mobil 1 containers, we read:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is rated VW 504.00/507.00; MB-Approved 229.31/229.51; BMW Longlife 04; Peugeot etc.

On the back of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 'M' 5W-40 container, the only manufactures codes are for the MBZs . . . " Mobil 1 ESP Formula 'M' is designed to exceed the demanding requirements of Mercedes Benz MB 229.51 specifications in gasoline and diesel vehicles"

HTHs

Derrel

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
"designed to exceed" Hmm, where have we read that kinda thing before?

So the 5/40 is not MB approved either?