Considering Royal Purple Automatic Transmission Fluid in the 01M Transmission...

rezmarian

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9L TDI
Hello all!

I'm looking at changing my ATF and was wondering what kind of AFT to use... I really like Royal Purple oils in general but wasn't sure about their ATF's. It's VW TL52162 certified but should I just stick to the OEM ATF? Also, what is the OEM ATF for this transmission?

Thanks!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Admittedly, I don't have any direct experience with the VW auto trans of this era.
I commend you for taking active approach to maintaining the trans, especially given that the automatic trans in the 03 Jetta is known for being terribly expensive to replace.
Given the specific reputation of those trans, my 0.02 would be to use the VW ATF. I think it's also cheaper than the R.P. (The R.P. might be super great stuff in general, but it's so pricey!)

rezmarian

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9L TDI
Admittedly, I don't have any direct experience with the VW auto trans of this era.
I commend you for taking active approach to maintaining the trans, especially given that the automatic trans in the 03 Jetta is known for being terribly expensive to replace.
Given the specific reputation of those trans, my 0.02 would be to use the VW ATF. I think it's also cheaper than the R.P. (The R.P. might be super great stuff in general, but it's so pricey!)
Good points. The Royal Purple is slightly cheaper than the VW transmission fluid. But probably a good idea to use authentic VW fluid. Mixing the two together may cause adverse effects.

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
when in doubt, just use the product that was designed to work SPECIFICALLY with your car. That is the best option and IMO, you cant put a price on peace of mind.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
thx- interesting to note (per OP reply) that the retail price of OEM fluid is slightly cheaper than R.P. Sounds maybe similar to Dodge trucks- first time I went and bought the OEM trans fluid and rear axle fluid to change (both are synthetic), I nearly had a heart attack when the parts counter person gave me the $ totals.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
If the RP has the correct spec#, I don't see a problem. It's not like VW manufactures their own fluid anyway.