Ignition switch issue

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
2005 beetle tdi, dsg. I work at a church, on Wednesday after service I was coming home and had a wire burning smell. Everything kept working, so I figured there was someone burning something near by. Fast forward to this morning, I crank car but wipers don’t work, nor do turn signals or horn.

I check all fuses there good, pull all relays and inspect them, seem fine. Pulled the ignition switch and there is a burn on one of the prongs. The pigtail had a wire connector holder.

I purchased car with 200,000 miles with a bad ignition switch. I put one from a parts car in it, and it was actually bad. I purchased another car that came with a new switch. I put it in and it lasted the last 23,000 miles. It was a uro parts switch. The uro parts switch is the one that melted.

Anyways today I put a duralast switch in there because it was the only place I could grab one immediately.

Here is the issue, the radio will not turn off, and the windows are constantly with power on them now. I made sure the clip that held the connector witch melted is installed directly on the switch.

So did I just get a bad brand new switch? Is there a relay that may be stuck?

I can unplug the ignition switch and the radio and doors still have power.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to make a new repair set and splice it in.

Connector shell and the pigtail repair wires. And then carefully tuck it all up in there so the column covers go on properly. Tedious, but doable.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I do have some wires that are semi melted. The wires are all very black right there at the connector. You can tell the are crispy. I had to drive 250 miles this morning so I wrapped a little electrical tape around them. So you think there are wires touching in there? That why the radio won’t cut off?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, the wires got hot because of a poor connection. Common on the NB, I've done a bunch of them.

Get the part number off the connector shell, then have the dealer order you the shell and the necessary repair wires needed. Each repair wire is double ended, so one will do two terminals into the shell. There are a couple different sizes. Then use heat shrink crimp connectors to splice it into the car's harness.

They *may* have the repair wires in their set at the dealer, you just have to ask. I doubt they'll have the connector shell though, but they might.

I think the part number for the shell is something like 8D0-971-975 (going off memory here). The repair wires will be something like 000-979-xxx with maybe a suffix on the end.... but you should not need the suffix with the -xA as that is gold plated.

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
I will get one of those ordered. Radio will not shut off after 10 minutes. Is that related to the shell or the switch? Should I order a vw switch as well?

I guess I should add my radio would cut off before yesterday. Also it is a factory monsoon system

Last edited:

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
One other thing, are the new ones different than what is in there already? I have a mini vw junkyard. I could pull a decent one out of a parts car if it is not revised

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I will get one of those ordered. Radio will not shut off after 10 minutes. Is that related to the shell or the switch? Should I order a vw switch as well?
Does the dinger sound off if you leave the key in the ignition (car off) and open the door?

If you pull the plug off the ignition switch and open the door does the radio shut off?

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
I unplugged the switch and it didn’t make a difference, radio stayed on. There also is not a dinger

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I unplugged the switch and it didn’t make a difference, radio stayed on. There also is not a dinger
OK that should rule out the ignition switch.
If you don't get the dinger warning you the key is in the ignition that could be why the radio does not shut off.
Do the interior lights go on when you open the door?

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
The lights do work. The radio would cut off before the ignition switch melted. The only thing I could think of is a wire has melted in the dash.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The lights do work. The radio would cut off before the ignition switch melted. The only thing I could think of is a wire has melted in the dash.
That's what it's starting to sound like.
I'm not positive but the CCM may be what controls the radio.