First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
So you"ll have your vehicle "fixed" then come back to whine about what you already knew was in store for you?
Grab some quick cash, spend it on a tune, and potentially void your entire extended warranty. "No brainer", you said it, not me.
I was thinking the same thing!

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Fix completed on my A7.

A little louder, yes.
Holds gears longer at slower speeds, yes.
Slightly slower, yes
Once engine warms up, feels pretty much normal, yes.

Im sure a tune would make the car feel like prefix. (for reference I've been driving tuned diesels since 2001)

Thank you lord diesel and KevinGary for your insightful comments.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
No fix = no smog = no registration in CA.
Tory
That is the opposite of what the settlement said, and California has agreed to it. This was not a mandatory recall, unlike some other emissions recalls. Has something changed? Link please.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
That is the opposite of what the settlement said, and California has agreed to it. This was not a mandatory recall, unlike some other emissions recalls. Has something changed? Link please.
no nothing changed, that post was 100% wrong..

No Fix = Perfectly Legal vehicle to drive in California and you'll have no issues w/registration, or any other state for that matter.. forever.

Milpitas2.7T

TDI
2014 Q5 Sline Plus Prestige
no nothing changed, that post was 100% wrong..
No Fix = Perfectly Legal vehicle to drive in California and you'll have no issues w/registration, or any other state for that matter.. forever.
Then I was wrong, well **** I wouldn't have had it done. my apologies for the inaccurate information. I'm wondering why there is a special decal applied to my hood citing the repair has been made then.. hmmmmm Again if I'm truly wrong, I totally apologize

Tory

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Then I was wrong, well **** I wouldn't have had it done. my apologies for the inaccurate information. I'm wondering why there is a special decal applied to my hood citing the repair has been made then.. hmmmmm Again if I'm truly wrong, I totally apologize
Tory
You are truly wrong. The decal is applied post fix regardless of what state you live in. The sticker puts the poor bastard who buys a fixed car notice that they are buying a neutered car. If I decide that get the fix it won’t be until the deadline of April of 2020. At that time the car will have 110k miles on it and Audi will probably spend a bundle under the 4 year/48k mile warranty

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Tory
No worries. Just trying to keep people from thinking this is true since it was only every a rumor early on.

The sticker is there because they are still required to accurate federal emissions labeling. Nothing has changed about that law. We just don't think of it because most shops do not label things when they do emissions work.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I am planning to wait too. But, I wonder how they work out the settlement if there is a Total Loss accident or a Theft incident. $7.5K is a little too much to ignore that scenario.
It is a calculated risk, but it is a risk that I have decided to take.

niche80

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
It is a calculated risk, but it is a risk that I have decided to take.
I spoke to Claims representative at VW. They said that in an event of Total Loss or Theft of vehicle, claim documentation needs to be resubmitted and they will review as a special case. I don't think they can Deny the claim. Time limit for this is Dec2019.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Something I have recently noticed. 3 of the last 5 times I have noticed the wife starting the car and leaving the driveway the secondary fan starts and is blasting, LOUD! I don't see and codes, CEL or other issues. Anyone else? I'm sure going to explain this at the dealer would be a great time but with our super warranty do you think they would do anything? Any other thoughts?

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
I wish I could remember the name of the filtration gadgets involved, but what you're experiencing is probably normal (although 3 of the last 5 times seems somewhat excessive). When crud builds up (somewhere, in the exhaust system... I forget), a kind of internal "blowtorch" kicks in to burn it off. The excess heat from that is cooled by a fan (I understood it was the main engine fan going up to 100%). On big rigs - 18-wheelers and such - it's activated manually via a toggle switch on the dashboard. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific. It's been a couple of years since I researched this because of having the same issue with my Touareg. Very scary! But quite normal.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx, did seem excessive but appears better now. she is running to phoenix w 100+ temps on the interstate. I'd imagine that finishing up the clean out cycle if more is needed.

GIACUser

TDI
2014 A8L 3.0 TDI
In May of this year I purchased an A8L 3.0 TDI without knowing that this car was part of dieselgate. I took car to dealer just after purchase to find that the prev owner had not done the fix. Dealer sent me to VW claims site to get claim # that would allow them to fix the car without cost to me. They did so. The car came back with less power, a bit of diesel clatter now heard at idle when cold mostly and mileage down along with fans that seemed to come on more frequently.

All of this was still very liveable if not a bit dissappointing. As it turns out I didn't really read the claim website closely. VW contacted me a few days later and told me my claim had been approved since I had the car fixed. What was completely unexpected was that I received 9664.00 in claim money in addition to the free fix.

As I generally modify every car I get I decided to order and install a Malone Stage 2 tune for the car. The results for a chip only mod were quite remarkable in terms of how the car drove. The Malone tune took the car way up in power, MUCH higher than pre fix performance.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
In May of this year I purchased an A8L 3.0 TDI without knowing that this car was part of dieselgate. I took car to dealer just after purchase to find that the prev owner had not done the fix. Dealer sent me to VW claims site to get claim # that would allow them to fix the car without cost to me. They did so. The car came back with less power, a bit of diesel clatter now heard at idle when cold mostly and mileage down along with fans that seemed to come on more frequently.

All of this was still very liveable if not a bit dissappointing. As it turns out I didn't really read the claim website closely. VW contacted me a few days later and told me my claim had been approved since I had the car fixed. What was completely unexpected was that I received 9664.00 in claim money in addition to the free fix.

As I generally modify every car I get I decided to order and install a Malone Stage 2 tune for the car. The results for a chip only mod were quite remarkable in terms of how the car drove. The Malone tune took the car way up in power, MUCH higher than pre fix performance.
Did you have any concerns about voiding the 4 year/48k mile Audi warranty that came with the fix?

GIACUser

TDI
2014 A8L 3.0 TDI
Did you have any concerns about voiding the 4 year/48k mile Audi warranty that came with the fix?
No, I accept the risks. Been chipping VW and Audi cars (non-diesel, this is my first diesel) for last 20 years with zero issues as a result of doing this. It is possible to return car back to stock tune if necessary however I also understand that it won't fool the dealership if they suspect you have altered the vehicle.

My opinion, based upon my own experience is that these are very safe upgrades for an otherwise stock car. Again just an opinion, not a guarantee.

For me the huge gain in performance is worth the what I see as a minimal risk. However anyone that wants to absolutely avoid the possibility of voiding the warranty should of course just stay with the factory tune and hardware.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
The DEF warning with 900 miles to go started popping up. Wife called the dealer to assure the DEF fills were covered, they were. Went to the dealer, they filled it, washed it, and a "light vacuum" all in about 30 min. Fruit and snacks in the waiting room. I'm good with that.

kingspointer

TDI
2013 Touareg
which tuner does everyone like? is there a programmer type that won't tear up the engine and will put the car back to normal when it has to be serviced? Touareg 2013 (AEM installed).

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Second word, "KermaTDI".

Seems like Kerma and Malone are at the top of the tuner list for street VW TDI's. Both save your original tune (so you can revert back to it if wanted) plus hold your purchased tune.

I would suggest looking at both, perhaps even discussing with both, and then you should be well equipped to decide if you want to pursue, and with which one you want to go with.

Tsch125

TDI
2013 Q7 Premium Plus
I just found this, your final solution to the lurching. I will have to try to reset my throttle ASAP! Can't believe the dealer did not do this nor suggest it. :confused:
Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply but my issue was resolved by simply resetting the throttle/transmission by myself. It took all of 20 seconds! Still baffled the dealer did not suggest or perform this simple procedure.

MondoTech

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I'm about to replace my Jetta Sportwagen TDI and I think I've settled on getting a Q5. You guys with the fixed Q5s, if you were buying today do you now wish you had the 3.0T gasser or would you still buy the TDI?

I drove a fixed Q5 TDI and it seemed fine, but there was a lot of lag and waiting for downshifts, a lot more so than my Sportwagen. Still the Q5 TDI was plenty fun to drive, but I'm wondering long term if I'd be better off taking the mpg hit with the gas 3.0T. Over 40,000 miles I figure it will cost me $2000 more in fuel. I don't drive much so this is 5-6 years of mileage for me.

I haven't actually driven the 3.0T Q5, but I have driven an SQ5 and the power is always there when you put your foot down, no lag, so that's what is attracting me the most. Plus no HPFP worries or resale value tanking after that 10 year emissions warranty runs out. So what do you guys think? Fixed Q5 TDI or Q5 3.0T gasser?

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I'm about to replace my Jetta Sportwagen TDI and I think I've settled on getting a Q5. You guys with the fixed Q5s, if you were buying today do you now wish you had the 3.0T gasser or would you still buy the TDI?

I drove a fixed Q5 TDI and it seemed fine, but there was a lot of lag and waiting for downshifts, a lot more so than my Sportwagen. Still the Q5 TDI was plenty fun to drive, but I'm wondering long term if I'd be better off taking the mpg hit with the gas 3.0T. Over 40,000 miles I figure it will cost me $2000 more in fuel. I don't drive much so this is 5-6 years of mileage for me.

I haven't actually driven the 3.0T Q5, but I have driven an SQ5 and the power is always there when you put your foot down, no lag, so that's what is attracting me the most. Plus no HPFP worries or resale value tanking after that 10 year emissions warranty runs out. So what do you guys think? Fixed Q5 TDI or Q5 3.0T gasser?

If the TDI you drove is laggy, pass. My fixed Q5 doesn’t lag. I’d buy another.

The 3.0 gasser is, in its own right, a fun and reliable vehicle.

Do a thorough drive and inspection and buy the one that suits you more.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Fixed A7, don’t know how it felt before but I notice 0 issues while driving. Amazing vehicle, great purchase.

MondoTech

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
If the TDI you drove is laggy, pass. My fixed Q5 doesn’t lag. I’d buy another.

The 3.0 gasser is, in its own right, a fun and reliable vehicle.

Do a thorough drive and inspection and buy the one that suits you more.
After doing a lot more reading on people's experiences post-fix, I gather that there is potentially a lot more stress placed on the emissions components from an aggressive warm up. Also, due to the aggressive warm up, folks are seeing significantly reduced mpg during this warm up period. For someone like me that takes a lot of short trips, it seems like I may be significantly more impacted by potential emission component failure and reduced mpg. I take enough long trips that I'm not worried about the DPF being clogged, but miles per regen and warm up cycles per mile might be a problem for me. Does this all sound correct?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
How short is short? I think the extra warm up speed might actually help things for people who take relatively short trips, compares to the old strategy. Higher fuel consumption but lower load on the DPF.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
After doing a lot more reading on people's experiences post-fix, I gather that there is potentially a lot more stress placed on the emissions components from an aggressive warm up. Also, due to the aggressive warm up, folks are seeing significantly reduced mpg during this warm up period. For someone like me that takes a lot of short trips, it seems like I may be significantly more impacted by potential emission component failure and reduced mpg. I take enough long trips that I'm not worried about the DPF being clogged, but miles per regen and warm up cycles per mile might be a problem for me. Does this all sound correct?

Yes, it does to me. Your use case is not incompatible with a TDI, but you won’t see the really high mpg that come with rural and/or predominately highway use.

Frankly, in your shoes, I’d get the 3.0 liter supercharged gasser in the pre-2018 Q5 or SQ5.