What did you do to your MKIV today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Holy crap. Is that from just one day? Presuming it was clean before?
Back when we lived in Saskatchewan, you could do that on a one-hour drive.

Not my Mk4s, but helping a couple people with their Jettas yesterday....both have a radiator fan not spinning and no A/C.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Ordered aux fan switch and relay for a friends 06 beetle TDI, got to check it tomorrow and see if he’s got a blown head gasket.... sounds like he does based on symptoms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
So, gents, I have four new center caps, the 67mm (or so) kind for my Longbeaches.
I'm tired of buying them and then having them pop off, so...

Anybody know of a type of glue that would work to keep them from popping off? I don't think they ever need to come off again, but they will be under hot/cold stresses among others...

Thanks!

Jud.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Anybody know of a type of glue that would work to keep them from popping off? I don't think they ever need to come off again, but they will be under hot/cold stresses among others...
I've just used some Goop brand epoxy adhesive (either Automotive or Marine - can't remember, but they seem about the same to me) on mine that were a bit loose. Lasted three winters including some drives in biblical-type west-coast rain.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol clear gorilla glue........

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yesterday took off the '01's fancy wheels (for refurbishing this Summer)...

...and stuck on some craigslist Beetle wheels with Michelin CrossClimate+ tires!
(The CrossClimates were not from craigslist - brand new for my G!)
205-60-16 96V! and Made in Germany!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Well yesterday morning, I checked in on the bodyshop that’s doing a complete overhaul on my wagon.
Six weeks later things are looking awesome, all rust cut out, new metal in, dings remove. Hopefully I’ll be getting it back in couple more weeks. I really miss it .

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
How much is that going to cost in the end?

Did they leave the interior in place?

Yes the interior is in place, the car overall was very solid. Not naming names, but a couple shops used the incorrect part of the jack pinch welding points, which mostly destroyed the right side rocker panel. I had the shop reinforced the jacking points with extra steel for added security. Plus my rear hatch that the dealer replaced under warranty, is showing miner signs.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Great. Eager to see how it comes out.
X2

I will be taking my MK IV sedan and MK IV wagon to Tijuana for paint. There are a few shops there that repair and repaint BMW and Porsche cars for a reasonable price. But I cant wait to see your car once it is finished.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Pulled the large fan, as it's motor had gone crunchy.
I thought I'd be installing a fan salvaged from a Volvo, but it turned out to have a slightly larger diameter motor can, which wouldn't fit in the VW motor support.

$50 later, I had a new radiator fan assembly from a car being parted in the local area.

Replaced the crank position sensor, MAF, and air filter, all chasing an erratic stumble/die issue that only showed up at idle, with the engine warm. No fault codes other than a pending code for the CPS. The MAF was tracking ~200mg/str below the calculated value, and was 4.5 years old, so it was replaced as a "maybe" culprit, but the new one still tracks ~100mg/str below the expected number.

I'm still not sure it's fixed, as the issue doesn't seem to crop up until I've driven for ~1 hour before it will happen.

Such fun...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
On Saturday:
- Oil change
- Air Filter
- Clean snowscreen
- Clean driver's door "open/close" switch with contact cleaner (see tip about this by Wingnut in the "Stupid Door Switch!" thread), now the switch registers when I open the door again.
- Replaced the short hoses connecting the washer nozzles to the hardlines in the hood to restore washer jet pressure.
Doing the air filter required replacing the screws that hold the air box lid on, as on one the "slots" for the phillips screwdriver had degraded and stripped. Used some "pocket hole screws", just had to trim them down to match the length of the originals with a Dremel/cutoff wheel. Worked beautifully, and I have a whole box of the things if/when I need to make more some day.
On the washer jets, it seemed that the "sockets" on the hardlines in the hood had hardened/loosened over the years, and were leaking. My solution ended up being to replace the little short "flex hoses" between the hardlines and the washer jets:
- Insert 1/4 inline vac hose connector into hardline "socket" and secure with screw clamp
- Slide 7/32" vac hose onto other side of connector and secure with screw clamp
- Push hose onto barb on nozzle (no clamp here, the screw clamp wouldn't fit through the hole the nozzle mounts into, but it seems like a pretty snug fit. Now I think of it though, I do have a couple spare "pinch clamps" from a fuel filter in the toolbox, I wonder if those would be small enough for this hose and actually fit through hood opening. Have to check that next weekend...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
On the washer jets, it seemed that the "sockets" on the hardlines in the hood had hardened/loosened over the years, and were leaking. My solution ended up being to replace the little short "flex hoses" between the hardlines and the washer jets:
I had the same leak(s) a few years back at those hard connections. Used some 3M Rubber Mastic Tape (Scotch 2228) around the joint, pressure returned, still good to this day!

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
picked up a set of wheels and center caps to match the set I already have. Now I will be able to mount studded tires for winter driving on identical wheels and just swap them out myself instead of taking the Golf in and having the pinch weld bent even more.

Last edited:

carl20320

TDI
Picked up a large radiator fan from Cascade German down the road a bit. My old one was no longer functioning and if it did start turning, the noises were not good. Will complete the install tomorrow.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally got my air bag light off, turned out to be the wire harness for the air bag, one wire had broken off at the terminal.
While I was in there I replaced my factory steering wheel ( which has seriously deteriorated by the sun ) with a new to me nice leather wheel. Nice not having a rough steering wheel again.

carl20320

TDI
This morning I put the car up on ramps to get the skid plate off so I could complete the install of the large radiator fan. Had it done and back together before breakfast.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove it from eastern MA to Madison Wisconsin. 1,168 miles, 17.25 hours. Very few people on the road.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Had to add more coolant - the nastygram light came on. This happens about once a year maybe. There’s a very slow leak that isn’t easily found and all of the hoses and water pump and things have been changed.

I can drive with the warning light on for a long time and she still won’t overheat, so I don’t worry about it any more than making sure to fill her up the next chance I get.

This could easily be avoided if I checked more often. DOH!