GM, Nissan and Tesla Premier New Electric Vehicles in Detroit

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Cadillac, Nissan, Tesla Launch New Electric Vehicles
by Jonathan Spira
DETROIT—General Motors, Nissan, and Tesla all introduced new electric vehicles at the 2013 North American International Auto Show.
On Tuesday, GM, the nation’s largest automaker, unveiled the Cadillac ELR, a luxury version of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, and said it would be offered for sale later this year.
Nissan, in turn, announced a less expensive Leaf, trimming the price by 18%.
Also on Tuesday, Tesla premiered its Model X SUV, an electric

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Title is a bit misleading.

The ELR is not really "electric" - it's a plug-in hybrid - more or less the same as the Chevrolet Volt. (I really like this car, by the way. Not sure if it will tow my trailer, though, so I doubt if I'll buy one.)

The Leaf is not new. They're cutting the price in order to stimulate sales. I actually rather suspect that the number of Leafs being sold, is very close to the total size of the EV market at the moment. New players will just slice that small piece of pie between more players.

The Model X is new, but it is a niche market of a niche market, and Tesla's long-term future is hardly assured. (I like the Model S and it comes closer to doing what I need a vehicle to do, but still not quite there, and the price tag ... ! ! !)

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
With that lower MSRP I *might* have been able to talk my parents into a Leaf as one of their cars. But they are TOTALLY incompatible with sharing a 2nd gasoline vehicle to swap for the person with out-of-town driving to do.