MkIV steering rack replacement

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
The Bentley manual gives no real guidance on this. I could not find a procedure here, but did come across the link to ProStreetDriver's video on youtube (thanks for that, PSD), and a pretty good DIY on vortex.

My procedure differs in that you do not remove the lower control arms. Practically all of the hardware is 'always replace', so this will save you some time and a few bucks and you may not need to have a front end alignment done. Please note: If your car is not tracking straight or you have uneven front tire wear before you start, then by all means DO get a front end alignment done after replacing the rack!

This was performed on a 98 NB with manual transmission. I don't believe you need to remove the sway bar to remove the rack, but ours was off because we were going to replace the bushings anyway. It is my belief that you have enough room to get the rack out with the sway bar is in place. If you do need to remove the sway bar, then bolt the retaining clips in place before inserting the new tie rod ends into the steering knuckle! Otherwise you don't have much room to get that short little 13mm bolt in place :eek:

Parts needed
  1. Rack and tie rod ends- you can find a rebuilt ZF for less than $400 with tie-rod ends. Note that if you go this route the tierod ends will NOT come with bolts and they will need to be ordered separately.
  2. 1.5 L power steering fluid Pentosin CHF 11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid or equivalent
  3. Steering column universal joint to steering gear bolt (1 ea) N10072202
  4. Rear subframe bolts (2 ea) PN N90752802
  5. Front subframe bolts (2 ea) PN N90734902
  6. Subframe to steering rack bolts (4 ea) PN N10015506
  7. Power steering line banjo bolt washers. (2 ea of 2 different sizes) PN N0138495, PN N0138487
  8. Dogbone mount to tranny bolts (1 ea of 2 different sizes) PN N90597005, PN N10246610

Procedure
  1. Suction out as much PS fluid from the reservoir as possible
  2. Set parking brake and block a rear wheel
  3. Loosen front wheel lug bolts
  4. Remove two plastic nuts retaining cover over steering column to gear linkage near the pedals by the driver's floor mat
  5. Turn steering wheel to access/remove 13 mm bolt securing column to gear linkage
  6. Lift up the colum linkage to separate from the rack splined shaft
  7. Raise car as high as you can and support it with jackstands (make sure you leave room to remove the subframe and related bolts)
  8. Remove front wheels
  9. Remove belly pan
  10. Remove securing nut from end of each tie-rod with 18mm socket and pop tie rods out of steering knuckles
  11. Remove bolts retaining exhaust bracket to subframe with 13mm socket
  12. Loosen, but don't remove, the 4 subframe to steering rack bolts with 13mm socket
  13. Temporarily support engine/tranny with floor jack and remove the two dogbone mount to tranny bolts noting that the short one is closer to the front of the car with 16mm socket.
  14. Move floor jack from tranny and locate it in the center of the subframe. Ensure you don't block access to the subframe to rack bolt heads.
  15. Support subframe with floor jack and remove the 4 subframe to body bolts with 21mm socket
  16. Lower floor jack enough so that you can access both banjo bolt connections on steering rack through left wheel well
  17. Remove bottom banjo bolt with 17mm socket and try to catch the fluid draining out of the line with a pan
  18. Transfer shipping cover from the new rack's banjo bolt holes to the one in the car so fluid doesn't spill everywhere while you're pulling the rack
  19. Repeat with top banjo bolt fitting.
  20. Ensure the lines are clear of rack and slowly lower the subframe until you have room to remove the rack toward the engine.
  21. Remove the 4 previously loosened subframe to rack bolts
  22. Tip rack forward so that the steering column linkage clears the bottom of the body and pull it out over the sway bar
  23. Set the new rack on the ground next to the old rack. The car we did this on was tracking straight and had good tire wear, so we were confident that the toe (and overall distance between tie rod ends) was set correctly. In our case, the distance between the ends of the replacement rack was the same as the one that came off the car. If these were different then we would have needed to loosen the jam nuts on both inner tie-rods and then adjust the outer ends the same amount to keep things centered.
  24. Note the position of the right bracket on the old rack and make sure the new rack's bracket is in the same position.
  25. Transfer the aluminum heat shield from the old rack to the new one (Spec is 22 Nm), and the shipping plugs back to the new rack. Keep the shipping covers on the tie rod ends until you are ready to insert them into the steering knuckles. This will help protect the threads from getting dinged up while you are positioning the rack.
  26. Wipe off the subframe and ensure rack locating holes are clear.
  27. Installation is the reverse of removal. Guide new rack over the sway bar and insert the locating pins on the rack brackets with the holes in the subframe.
  28. Evenly snug, but don't torque the rack to subframe bolts until you have the subframe secured to the body
  29. Raise subframe until you can connect the banjo bolts without straining the lines. Use the new sealing washers. Torque top banjo bolt to 45 Nm and bottom to 38 Nm.
  30. Slowly raise the subframe into position with the floor jack. Ensure the gasket around the gear linkage is lined up with the hole in the floor of the car.
  31. Attach the 4 bolts that secure the subframe to the body with 21mm socket. Ensure the subframe is tight against bottom of car. Tighten all 4 in stages. Spec is 100 Nm + 1/4 turn.
  32. Tighten the 4 subframe to rack bolts with 13mm socket. (I had to temporarily loosen the nut securing the aluminum heat shield to the right side bracket in order to allow that bracket to go in evenly.) Spec is 20 Nm + 1/4 turn.
  33. Install new bolts for securing dogbone mount to trans. Short one is toward front of car. Both are torqued to 40 Nm + 1/4 turn. You will probably need to lift the engine/trans assy with floor jack to allow the holes to line up.
  34. Remove shipping covers from tie rod ends and insert the end into the tapered hole in the steering knuckle.
  35. Ensure taper on tie rod end shaft is fully engaged into the tapered hole in the steering knuckle while torquing the new nut to spec (20 Nm + 1/4 turn)
  36. Install front wheels.
  37. Fill power steering reservoir to MIN line on dipstick.
  38. Check banjo bolt seals for leakage.
  39. From inside drivers footwell, attach steering column linkage to rack gear splined shaft. Note that this only will go on one way- there is a flat on one side where the splines are missing, and opposite of the flat is a cut out for the retaining bolt's shank.
  40. Slowly rotate the wheel in either direction until it stops.
  41. Check that the both tires are not touching anything in the wheel well. If they are then your rack is probably not centered.
  42. Now slowly rotate the steering wheel to full stop in the other direction while keeping track of the number of steering wheel revolutions it takes to go to the other stop.
  43. Check that the both tires are not touching anything in the wheel well. If they are then your rack is probably not centered.
  44. Divide the number of revolutions in step 42 by two and turn the steering wheel that number of revolutions. Your steering wheel should be centered. If not then you may need to center it after getting the front end alignment done.
  45. Secure the steering column linkage to the steering gear shaft with the new bolt and torque to 30 Nm.
  46. Replace the plastic cover on the linkage joint.
  47. Start engine and slowly rotate the steering wheel a few times from stop to stop. Check banjo bolt seals for leakage and then shut off engine.
  48. Replace belly pan.
  49. Lower car enough to torque wheel bolts to spec (120 Nm)
  50. With car level, ensure that the power steering fluid is at the MIN mark. Add or remove fluid as necessary.
  51. Remove wheel chock.
  52. Test drive the car. Steering wheel should be centered. Take your hands off the wheel and note any wandering. If the wheel is not centered or the car wanders, then get a front end alignment ASAP.
  53. Shut off car after test drive and check PS fluid level hot. Add/remove as necessary to bring level between MIN and MAX marks.
Keep your eye on front tire wear over the next few weeks- if anything looks odd, then get the front end alignment checked ASAP.

I will edit to add part ordering info. Please let me know if I missed anything and I will correct as needed.

Last edited:

paddlepro42

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Nice post you got here. Don't forget the new power steering line seals(N0138487).

And after step #19 don't forget to unbolt the bracket holding the return PS line from the top of the steering rack with one 13 mm nut. I wire tied the line up to the down pipe for easy removal and installation of the rack.

I just ran into a problem with my new rack from Boraparts.com. The rack is great and shipping was superb. But, where the pressure line bolts into the steering box is recessed and is preventing the line seal from crushing properly and sealing. This is different from the reman which I am replacing. I can't find any info on different seals so my mechanic suggested two crush washers instead of one. I'm gonna try it at this point and monitor it closely.

My install was on a 2000 Jetta ALH 5MT

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your comments. I do have that crush washer listed under my 'parts needed' section.

I did not have that nut retaining the PS line on mine. Maybe some don't have it or it was removed previously?

jpstaub

TDI
Lupo 3L
tditom,

Thanks for posting excellent instructions. They were verified on an '01 Jetta TDI this afternoon.

The dealership had none of the fasteners required for this job in stock. I figured the hell with it. I had to have progress and think that torque-to-yield for things like rack-and-pinion mounting bolts is B.S. It makes me wonder what the dealership does when it must have progress.

The dealership did have the washers for the banjo bolts. PN N1038495 above is in actuality N0138495. All other part numbers checked good. For the curious sort, the fastener total would have been $76.10 had I waited on VW to fill an order.

Lock to lock,
Jake

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jake-
Glad it helped you. Thanks for the correction.

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
Nice write up tditom. It did take quite a while and a little friendly persuasion to get that steering knuckle back on. Was a good afternoons project. Finally will have my car back on the road though. thanks

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
What other items do you suggest be replaced while you are installing a new steering rack? While you got it out and have all that room you might as well do some easy things that don't cost much. I am assuming the steering rack seal is a no brainer. Should I worry with installing new tie rod ends if I already replaced them in the last year? What about the power steering pump? Or the pressure or return hose? What do you think about this link to a steering rack I found for $135? Any feedback is appreciated.

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/1999-2004-Volkswagen-Jetta-Rack-And-Pinion-13495-925576-J.htm

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What other items do you suggest be replaced while you are installing a new steering rack? While you got it out and have all that room you might as well do some easy things that don't cost much. I am assuming the steering rack seal is a no brainer. Should I worry with installing new tie rod ends if I already replaced them in the last year? What about the power steering pump? Or the pressure or return hose? What do you think about this link to a steering rack I found for $135? Any feedback is appreciated.

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/1999-2004-Volkswagen-Jetta-Rack-And-Pinion-13495-925576-J.htm
Nothing comes to mind except lower control arm bushings. I'd not replace a one year old tie rod end.
Steering rack seal? I don't remember that.
That appears to be a great deal on the rack. Never heard of them before though.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I replaced both control arms with new bushings, plus the ball joints and tie rods (inner & outer) last year along with the stabilizer links and sway bar bushings. I pretty much have a new front end except for now needing a new power steering rack. Here is a link to the steering rack seal. It appears to connect the steering wheel to the steering rack. The second link is to a steering rack that comes with the steering rack seal. The original link I posted did not have a steering rack seal with it. The reason I brought up tie rod ends is that I did see a post where they said you had to replace the tie rod ends and the bolts that come with it when you replace the steering rack. I didn't know if it was necessary if I had already done so.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Search/Steering_Rack/ES307872/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--TDI/Search/Steering_Rack/ES2220948/

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's cheap enough to do, but the one I did in Aug was fine (14 yr old car).

ShannonFLHI

Kingsland, Ga/ Jacksonville, FL/ Miramar,FL
TDI
02 Golf GLS TDI (new toy),02 Jetta Wagen 2.0Ltr,(divorce forced sale 03 Ford F250 4x4 6.0Ltr, 2000 BMW 740i, 85 Honda VF1000R mc, 03 Honda CBR600RR racebike)
www.shop.Rackdoctor.net has very good parts and customer service. I just replaced my golf steering rack. Reused my outer tie rods. New Pentosin chf 202 from Ebay 4Ltrs/$60. I keep the rest of the fluid for a flush on the Jetta.

Last edited:

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
By proxy: 98 Beetle tdi, 01 Golf tdi, 03 Jetta tdi, 03Golf tdi
Still happy with the detroitaxle rack. Looks like the price went up significantly.

CotJocky

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI A/T
Still happy with the detroitaxle rack. Looks like the price went up significantly.

I bought one from detroitaxle close to Christmas for my little brother's 01 NB TDI. Was $158.50 shipped. And their is a $20 credit if you ship back your old one. They provide you with a return label so shipping costs you zero. So end cost will only be $138.50. Autozone wants $341.99!

Only put a few miles on it so far, but happy so far. ;)

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
Almost done with this evolution and I can't get the steering column to re-mesh with the new steering rack. Everything looks the same and I understand that it only goes on one way. I think "spreading" the steering column part might help but I also don't want to mess up anything. Has anyone else had this issue?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The joint only goes on one way. You should have had your steering wheel locked in a straight forward position. Make sure the new rack is centered. Without unlocking the steering wheel, just wiggle the steering column joint down over the new spline. Once it is in place you will need to unlock your steering wheel and turn it one complete turn to the left to be able to get that 13mm bolt back in.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
The joint only goes on one way. You should have had your steering wheel locked in a straight forward position. Make sure the new rack is centered. Without unlocking the steering wheel, just wiggle the steering column joint down over the new spline. Once it is in place you will need to unlock your steering wheel and turn it one complete turn to the left to be able to get that 13mm bolt back in.
Thanks for the response. I should have inspected the splines better before installation, but there is one spline with a slight dog ear near the top. I will attempt to get a file in there to clean it up.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
Let us know how it turned out.
All good. It is a re-manufactured rack so there was also a little overspray paint. I got everything to go on and took it for a drive. Alignment is a little off, I will get that taken care of at some point since it isn't possible where I live.

Does anyone know what the two tiny seals that came zip-tied to the rack are for?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Does anyone know what the two tiny seals that came zip-tied to the rack are for?
Good question. Are they rubber (o-rings?) or copper/aluminum crush washers?

I have a new rack arriving on Thursday that I plan to install on the weekend. I am also replacing the subframe and control arms, so it is my plan to install the rack and swaybar on the subframe and then lift it into the car as a complete assembly. Might take a little jiggin' around to get the swaybar around the axles, but it all came out together so I'm hoping it will all go back in the same way.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
All good. It is a re-manufactured rack so there was also a little overspray paint. I got everything to go on and took it for a drive. Alignment is a little off, I will get that taken care of at some point since it isn't possible where I live.

If they are tiny rubber O rings they may be spares for the steel lines that are part of the rack. Each of those steel lines have an O ring on each end. Glad you got it without additional problems.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
Good question. Are they rubber (o-rings?) or copper/aluminum crush washers?
I have a new rack arriving on Thursday that I plan to install on the weekend. I am also replacing the subframe and control arms, so it is my plan to install the rack and swaybar on the subframe and then lift it into the car as a complete assembly. Might take a little jiggin' around to get the swaybar around the axles, but it all came out together so I'm hoping it will all go back in the same way.
They are the little rubber ones. I purchased the other ones separately.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
If they are tiny rubber O rings they may be spares for the steel lines that are part of the rack. Each of those steel lines have an O ring on each end. Glad you got it without additional problems.
Thanks!

PDXpaulie

TDI
Jetta GL TDI (2000, silver), 1972 VW camperbus (98NB ALH TDI-powered)
Old Post Resurrection

just followed this procedure on my '00 Jetta. A couple observations:
First, any job for me usually follows the math model of double the number of units and then increase the type by one. So, if everyone else says it takes 2-3 hours, it will take me 4-6 days. This one wasn't quite that bad, but the banjo bolts had me ready to throw tools.
After 6-8 hours of wrestling with the banjo fittings, I set aside the instructions. The fitting was forcing the bolt to not go straight, so I disconnected the steering rack from the sub-frame (undoing steps 27 & 28). I zip-tied the passenger-side tie-rod to the sway bar, so the rack was no longer parallel to the sub-frame (can't figure out how to post a picture). This shifted the rack enough for the banjo fitting, the bolt and the steering rack to all line-up. After literally 6 or 8 hours of wrestling beforehand, it went in on my second attempt after doing this. I hope this helps others with a similar challenge.
Once in, I cut the zip tie, repeated steps 27 & 28, and then followed the rest of the steps. No leaks at the bolt connections, steering is consistent from lock to lock. Though I'll be getting an alignment done, the car doesn't list when I take my hands off the wheel.
Great post.
+1 for Detroit Axle.

hopcarolina

TDI
2000 Jetta, 1990 Corrado TDI
Well after 252,000 miles, the rack on my jetta is leaking. I have been hearing the lower control bushings for awhile. Wonder if that had any cause to the rack.

I order the TT bushings and a rack from Detroit Axle..... Now the fun part is beginning

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well after 252,000 miles, the rack on my jetta is leaking. I have been hearing the lower control bushings for awhile. Wonder if that had any cause to the rack.

I order the TT bushings and a rack from Detroit Axle..... Now the fun part is beginning

Probably not, those end seals do fail. Replacing is not that bad, just don't allow the steering wheel to freewheel after taking it loose from the rack.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Based on the feedback I've read on Detroitaxle, I purchased this rack for my '00 Golf:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161246076455

Clearly listed as "New".

Received it today, and it is obviously a rebuilt unit. Overspray on the boots which I can live with, but the small steel lines have also been painted over and there is a significant amount of flaking and pitting under the paint. Could be something left on the surface, but I swear my finger was oily when I picked off a little booger of rust with my fingernail. Not good... especially considering that I am pretty sure one of those lines on my OEM rack is what failed and caused the big leak over on that side. Can't see for sure until I get it apart.

I've contacted them and asked for a replacement with an as advertised new rack, but I have a feeling that they are just going to refund my money. If so, I'll try one of the Rack Doctor remans.
I don't have a problem with remanufactured parts, but I do with someone passing them off as new parts.

Bummin'...