VNT-17/22 ok to run with just performance nozzles and tune?

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Looking to buy a vnt-17/22 :)

Is it ok to run just with tune and nozzles? Is it ok to run with out use of larger intercooler/stock downpipe and exhaust?

thanks

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes but you'll heatsoak like crazy. You don't need to mess with the exhaust but you'll need an intercooler upgrade to make use of the 17/22.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
It wont heat soak any worse than a vnt 15 or 17 unless your way over fueled. This turbo works good with any size nozzle. I ran a 17/22 with pp520's pp357 pp764 and race 520's and a stock tune just added a 3 bar map to up the boost. It works much better tuned but also works fine not tuned with more fuel.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
Its totally okay, just don't put a tune in there that requests too much fuel for your supporting mods. That way you won't heat soak, smoke, whatever. Then you can add mods later to make more power. Tell your tuner exactly what mods you have and don't have and they will write you a sage tune.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've logged a golf with a 17/22, downpipe and T4s with RC4. It saw 90C IAT, light haze. That is more than heat soaked.

I am running way more fuel on a smaller turbo and rarely see over 50C(too hot IMO) on a stock intercooler in my Passat.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Ya guys, heatsoak is a function of boost. I guess if you ran the 17/22 at 13 or 15 PSI it wouldn't not be an issue, but at 18 or more PSI the stock SMIC just can't do much.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I believe it is more along the lines of efficiencies more than pressure. If it was pressure alone, I'd be heat soaking real bad with my setup running at 24.5psi

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I believe it is more along the lines of efficiencies more than pressure. If it was pressure alone, I'd be heat soaking real bad with my setup running at 24.5psi
B5 have a front or side mount?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
OP, as long as you inform your tuner what setup you have, there is no problem whatsoever. If you get too aggressive, the intercooler will definitely not be up to the task, and similarly exhaust pressure could be an issue with regards to turbo control and EGTs. Coming from a stock turbo, it will totally kick a$$ regardless, and put a smile on your face even without overly aggressive tuning.

Heatsoak in an intercooler is a question of thermal efficiency in regards to total energy flow through it. Its more of a gross flow issue than simply charge pressure. The stock IC also presents more pressure loss, thereby increasing charge air temperature pre-cooler, worsening the situation.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
A 17/22 is good for 26psi, some run it up to 28 with careful monitoring of EGTs, etc.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Personally I wouldn't worry about the heat soak as it mainly pulls power on your extended WOT throttle runs. If you have a problem with it and you want those last few HP just upgrade to a FMIC later. Yes, 26psi is the accepted limit for the 17/22.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Depending on how smoke limiters are set up, it can get smokey too. Or if you have no smoke limiters, it could look similar to my dyno video in my sig :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Very true Jon. All the more reason to discuss with your tuner how your car is setup now as well as how you expect to mod it in the future.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes it is true in day to day driving you rarely will notice the heat soak, but I know from testing I did on RC2 with PP520's maybe 16 psi that more than 7 seconds to the floor and you are heat soaked with the stock intercooler as you are losing fueling as the system is seeing hotter intake air.

I can my setup to smoke when I merge from MN62 to MN 169 as there is almost no acceleration lane due to construction so I just mash the go pedal and it is a smoke screen behind me as I launch and hit my selected spot.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
This is a log from Isonic's 17/22 setup, T4 nozzles, 2.5" downpipe(no cat) and RC4 with a slight haze

It was mid 70s that day, we were logging other stuff but it looked like it was leveled out prior to these pulls.