Latin American Diesel

Beetlemaniac

I'm moving to Montevideo, Uruguay soon and will be forced to sell my current car due to import restrictions. I can buy another car in the USA & ship it there and am interested in VW/Audi TDIs. I've heard that ULSD is available in Montevideo, but maybe not in outlying areas. What would happen if I had to run some regular diesel through a new TDI engine? Is anyone familiar with the fuel situation in that area?

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
You can NOT run non-ULSD through your CR TDI. It's not because it won't operate, but rather because it will quickly clog the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

However, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), if you have the DPF removed before shipping the car to Uruguay you should be able to run most types of diesel fuel without issue(s).

Can someone who actually knows what they're talking about verify this? :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You can NOT run non-ULSD through your CR TDI. It's not because it won't operate, but rather because it will quickly clog the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

However, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), if you have the DPF removed before shipping the car to Uruguay you should be able to run most types of diesel fuel without issue(s).

Can someone who actually knows what they're talking about verify this? :D
I would guess removing the DPF and related hardware (and software) is probably not like having your appendix removed. The car may not run right (or at all), or there maybe codes, etc that have to be dealt with. Plus, it will void any warranty (but that may not be an issue there).

Beetlemaniac

I thought there would be issues. Supposedly, 70% of the vehicles sold there are diesels. Of course, they would not be legal to import to the USA if/when I return in a few years....

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I would buy a local car, then sell it if/when you return to the states. Buy what the locals drive. They will have sorted out what kind of diesel car works on their diesel fuel. I would not bring a stateside car down there with its finicky and complex engine systems. Chances are you could buy something down there that we only dream about stateside!!

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
My in-laws moved to Panama and bought a used diesel jeep in country instead of shipping from US. It's easier, less hassle, and you'll avoid any potential repair problems.

El Serch

TDI
Jetta 2003, 5 speeds, pass away, current Jetta 2011, Manual 6 Speed
I will take this words!

I would buy a local car, then sell it if/when you return to the states. Buy what the locals drive. They will have sorted out what kind of diesel car works on their diesel fuel. I would not bring a stateside car down there with its finicky and complex engine systems. Chances are you could buy something down there that we only dream about stateside!!
Same car, same year, is not the same on some parts. You will speed more time and money for not reazon.

Regards

Beetlemaniac

Thanks for the advice. Here is the whole story: I am married and my wife also wants a car there, so I actually need to get TWO vehicles. Due to my position in Uruguay, I can sell the vehicles back for what I paid for them three years later, so it's an opportunity to try a car you might not want to pay for otherwise (no convertibles, though). I can either ship one of the cars from the USA or buy it there, but the second car must be bought there (prices for me are similar to USA prices). Both cars can be sold there (the local one wouldn't be legal almost anywhere else, anyhow), but I have the option of shipping the USA-spec one to the next place, wherever that is.

So, now I am debating what (if anything) to buy in the USA before going there. It sounds like buying a diesel vehicle in the USA might be asking for trouble when the ones there would probably be better suited for the local dirty fuels. Even a hybrid might have issues since the local mechanics are probably used to simpler designs.

To make matters even more complicated, I'm overseas now (Baghdad) and don't know yet where I will go after Uruguay. However, it will probably be somewhere else overseas and not back to the USA. Since the vehicle-importation rules are different everywhere, I might not be able to take a USA-spec vehicle with me after Uruguay anyhow (this has already happened to me, which is why I'm currently in the market for two cars).

I will be in the USA for three months right before going to Uruguay, starting around Thanksgiving, so I really could use a car during that time (a three-month rental would be rather expensive). The usual makes of cars are available in Uruguay, including BMW, VW/Audi, Honda, & Toyota, along with local favorites such as Peugot and Suzuki. Any suggestions other than the obvious (i.e. buying a gas vehicle in the USA now, shipping it to Uruguay when I leave for there, and buying another (diesel?) vehicle after arriving there)?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I would guess removing the DPF and related hardware (and software) is probably not like having your appendix removed. The car may not run right (or at all), or there maybe codes, etc that have to be dealt with. Plus, it will void any warranty (but that may not be an issue there).
You're partially wrong. You'll need a different tune in fact. Many successful stories around here since 2008s IIRC.

Blue02JettaTDI

TDI
Jetta
Buy a car in S America that doesnt have all this emmissions CRAP!!!! All it does is hurt our fuel economy and damage the longevity of the engines.

Their motors are more powerful and get far better fuel economy

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Most of the cars there are rebuilt salvage wrecks exceprt for the new ones.

Beetlemaniac

Buy a car in S America that doesnt have all this emmissions CRAP!!!! All it does is hurt our fuel economy and damage the longevity of the engines.

Their motors are more powerful and get far better fuel economy
I will probably buy at least one of the cars there since I can only ship one. Prices vary -- BMWs seem cheaper, Toyotas more expensive, etc. The local VWs are from Brazil and perhaps not as well made, or at least missing some items that are standard in the USA.

spamlet

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
If your concern is with the fuel, how about a used TDi? If you get a 2008 or earlier, you should be able to use whatever diesel is available down there. Does it have to be a new one?

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
If your concern is with the fuel, how about a used TDi? If you get a 2008 or earlier, you should be able to use whatever diesel is available down there. Does it have to be a new one?
x2:)!!!!

Beetlemaniac

The rule is that the car has to be less than five years old when shipped, so the main issue with buying a used car is that I might have the same problem again the next time I transfer (summer 2014). My current car is a 2004 (too old to ship). It is currently is Belgium (I was in Greece before Iraq); I'm having it shipped back to the USA to sell.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
The rule is that the car has to be less than five years old when shipped, so the main issue with buying a used car is that I might have the same problem again the next time I transfer (summer 2014). My current car is a 2004 (too old to ship). It is currently is Belgium (I was in Greece before Iraq); I'm having it shipped back to the USA to sell.
-+
Must be a military rule:rolleyes:

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
If it was me I would look at the Amarok as a second vehicle while in Uruguay. They are assembled next door in Argentina.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Most of the cars there are rebuilt salvage wrecks exceprt for the new ones.

Uruguay is not in Central America, Uruguay is in South America so no car salvage there, there are a whole variaty of used diesel cars for sale there that we would drool to have here in the states, the best decison is to get one from there, and you will not be stuck with only VW TDIs you will have a whole lot to choose from TDI cars, Jeeps and SUVs.

That is the worst mistake that you'd make if you bring your cars there,you'd have to pay customs entry, plus tax and shipping these cars will add up to the equation, at the end you'd wind up paying through the nose.

Last edited:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Uruguay is not in Central America, Uruguay is in South America so no car salvage there, there are a whole variaty of used diesel cars for sale there that we would drool to have here in the states, the best decison is to get one from there, and you will not be stuck with only VW TDIs you will have a whole lot to choose from TDI cars, Jeeps and SUVs.

That is the worst mistake that you'd make if you bring your cars there,you'd have to pay customs entry, plus tax and shipping these cars will add up to the equation, at the end you'd wind up paying through the nose.
Primero me estaba haciendo una comparación entre CA y SA si usted lee el puesto:p

¿viven en América del Sur y saber si permiten reconstruir coches con un salvamento título?

Si usted sabía central y América Del sur usted sabe que todos los coches son más caros y usted tiene que pagar los impuestos de todos modos!:p

The Diesel is available in the Bora there http://www.volkswagen.com.uy/vwcms/...er/es_uy/Modelos/bora/destacados/motores.html:)

Last edited:

Beetlemaniac

No customs or tax for my case. Maybe $1k or so out-of-pocket for shipping.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
What do you think of this car? BMW 1-series 5-door hatchback diesel (120d). I don't think you could get something like this in the USA. Still not sure what the price in Uruguay is, however.

http://www.bmw.com.uy/showroom_lati...ies/5door/2007/allfacts/engine/4c_diesel.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/06q1/bmw_120d-mini_test_road_test
Do not see any cars like that outside of major cities, you will have a hard time finding parts. Most Latin countries are heavy on Toyota and othe imports, the only european import that they have a significant amount is VW the smaller ones because most people can't afford the luxury cars.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
they have Audis, toyotas, cherokees, BMW's, the list goes on and on, diesels...why they do not have salvages cars from the US, cause they can't drive them from the US to Paraguay, after Panama city the HWY ends. no Hwy between Panama and Colombia. so south america is not connected to Central america through hwy or roads,.

Last edited:

Beetlemaniac

they have Audis, toyotas, cherokees, BMW's, the list goes on and on, diesels...why they do not have salvages cars from the US, cause they can't drive them from the US to Paraguay, after Panama city the HWY ends. no Hwy between Panama and Colombia. so south america is not connected to Central america through hwy or roads,.
I doubt they want the salvaged cars down in the Southern Cone countries (Argentina, Chile, & Uruguay) anyhow. They are more developed than Central America.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubt they want the salvaged cars down in the Southern Cone countries (Argentina, Chile, & Uruguay) anyhow. They are more developed than Central America.

You hit it right on the nail,, these countries in South America are more developed than any of the countries in central america,

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Sí sé que tienen todo tipo de automóviles, pero algunos son más fáciles de encontrar piezas. En cuanto a la autopista nunca he dicho que la gente obligaron coches hacia abajo por México a Paraguay. ¿Cómo sabes que no buque salvage automóviles allí abajo? ¿De dónde son y por qué se siente lo necesario para intentar corregir?

That translator that you use really sucks, sorry to tell you, but you confuse me more, might as well write in english, to get your point across,